THE mancave....

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Here are some pics of Leonard Gibbs mancave. It was featured in a spread in Stereo Review back in 1988, I believe. I would have to give the nod to Leondard's rig over the SRT room at Polk. It's THAT good.

The speakers are Dahlquist DQ-20i's w/ DQ-1W woofers. Pre/Amps are Perreaux. I forget the sources....

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2006
    Options
    that is a nice sized room!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • TroyD
    edited April 2006
    Options
    1000 sq ft.

BDT
  • mldennison
    mldennison Posts: 307
    edited April 2006
    Options
    very nice room, i wonder why he is sitting all the way at the back though, wouldnt you want to be a little out more into the room?
  • TroyD
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Because, that's the way he designed it for optimum sound. Trust me, there isn't anything random about anything in that room.

BDT
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2006
    Options
    No TV, no kegerator, no video games, no wall mounted urinal. Man cave, I think not.

Seriously though, cool room.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Notice taken of the center channel. I take it that's what he runs monaural to anchor the stage? And the glass block, whats the deal with the it?

I also notice minimal sound absorption. Are the walls accoustic? (I'm guessing the ceiling is)

the seats all the way back are interesting, too. I'm guessing he's shooting far field???

I'd like to pick his mind for a while...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2006
    Options
    He runs a l/r mix, 2db down, iirc.

SICK.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Seems a bit cold and lonely to me. Sound (i.e., music), in my opinion, is suppose to enhance the environment or express the mood. Sitting in a dentist chair at the back of a large empty room is neither the environment nor the mood I want to enhance.

Give me a sweet companion, some football on a wide screen, and hot wings. Now that is the environment and mood I want to express.

Crank er up!
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2006
    Options
    What a nice room! I wish mine was that roomy.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • TroyD
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Well, one thing is, he's trying to recreate, as closely as possible the sound of a live symphony. That's a LOT different from what we are trying to do which is attain fidelity to a particular medium. Leonard has access to thirty years worth of uncompressed master tapes of the Charleston Symphony....so, yes, he's putting some space between the listener and the speakers. The glass brick in the back, it's just there to let some light in (there are no real doors or windows) the walls are just plain sheetrock. It's designed to control reflections, not be an anachoeic chamber (which suck to listen in, btw).

Antny, you'll get to pick his brain ad nauseum in October....he's also going to make 30 copies (and only 30 copies) burned directly from the original master of Vivaldi's Four Seasons and make them available at Polkfest. I have one, and it is phenomenal. THE best recording in my collection. Earthworks Microphones and Transparent use this as a demo recording.

Just a couple of people who've been in the sweet spot in Leonard's room are David Chesky, Jon Dahlquist, Carl Maschuitto. The DQ-20's were hand tweeked by Jon, primarily to ensure the tweeters have identical response.

BDT
  • StopherJJ1980
    StopherJJ1980 Posts: 267
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    No TV, no kegerator, no video games, no wall mounted urinal. Man cave, I think not.

Seriously though, cool room.

Yeah, ditto on that. Obviously no disrespect to the equipment, its very very nice. But that room is just so blah. It seems like an empty commercial building. At least put a pool table or bar in there or something. Something.
    -Stopher
    Tempe, AZ

Setup:
    Polk RTi8 Mains
    Polk CSi5 Center
    Polk FXi3's Surround
    Cerwin Vega HTS10 Subwoofer
    Yamaha HTR-5740 AVR

Upstairs R50/R15/CS1 5.1 setup w Pioneer AVR
  • TroyD
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Lemme check, did I post this in the 2 Channel forum?? :rolleyes:

BDT
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Its about the music, nothing else.

Looking forward to meeting the man BDT.

RT1
  • TroyD
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I'm looking forward to it myself, hombre.

I guaran-TEE if you hear it, the last thing on your mind would be where to put the freakin' pool table or big screen TV.

BDT
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited April 2006
    Options
    How many 20is and 1Ws are in the room??
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2006
    Options
    TroyD wrote:

I guaran-TEE if you hear it, the last thing on your mind would be where to put the freakin' pool table or big screen TV.

BDT

all I saw was the pic and the above thoughts NEVER entered into my mind.

Troy, can you grab me a copy of that recording? Cash, homage and friendship come to mind;)

Henry
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Marchisotto. Carl Marchisotto. The guy from Long Island where the DQ's were born? Marchisotto. Carl Marchisotto. He was building his own stuff in Nesconset, which is not far from the industrial park in Hauppauge where Dahlquist was. That's the industrial park where I worked for Lafayette Radio Electronics around 1970.

You'll be able to pick that guys brain Antny, if you can pry Troy's lips off...............
  • TroyD
    edited April 2006
    Options
    There are three DQ-20's each with a DQ-1W.

The line forms to the left, gents.

BDT
  • jm1
    jm1 Posts: 618
    edited April 2006
    Options
    While researching room acoustic treatments, I discovered an article referring to audio reproduction experiments performed in the 1930’s (if I remember the date correctly). The experiments concluded that to obtain the most realistic reproduction of recorded audio, three channels were required using an L+C+R configuration. The article did not mention how many recorded channels (two or three) were used for the experiment. Since reading this article, I have always been curious how a three channel configuration recreated a live performance.

I find it interesting to see how Mr. Gibbs’ room is configured for optimum audio reproduction. Based on your listening experience within the room, does this configuration recreate a specific seating perspective within an auditorium? In the pre-children era when we still had season tickets for our local CPO orchestra, my favorite seating location within the Jack Singer Concert Hall was the center of the front row in the Dress Circle (first balcony) seats. It has now been four years since we had season tickets and I dearly miss those days.

Since reading the initial thread on this subject, I plan on conducting an experiment to try to reproduce a three channel configuration. As I have not had time to conduct this experiment, maybe others could try the following if interested.

I was thinking that a three channel listening configuration could be created by having a two channel source processed by a SSP. All rear surround channels would be disabled, leaving the L+C+R channel enabled. I am hoping that at least one of the SSP formats will derive the center channel as a sum of the L+R channels. This can be verified by only listening to the center channel while using a source having distinct L+R content (two channel setup disc?); all L+R content must be present. If the L+C+R channels are created in the appropriate manor, the remaining task would be to adjust the L+C+R levels accordingly.

One day when I have a spare moment, I will proceed with this experiment. If my 10 year old SSP does create the L+C+R appropriately, I may duplicate Mr. Gibbs room configuration to listen to the results.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed and third, it is accepted as self evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Three channels across the front goes way back in audio. Go find an old Fisher 500C tube receiver and you'll find a pre-out for a center channel.

The Klipsch Heresy speaker was designed as a center channel speaker. It was to address the problems that one might encounter if they had Klipschorns in the corners of the room, and there was a great distance between those corners. Stck a heresy halway between the corners and you eliminated the "hole in the middle" problem.
  • jm1
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Three channels across the front goes way back in audio. Go find an old Fisher 500C tube receiver and you'll find a pre-out for a center channel.

Thanks George. I need something new to research.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed and third, it is accepted as self evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2006
    Options
    One of the things I like about the configuration, is that it shows you don't have to go overboard with acoustic treatments. It's not rocket science but most people end up cluttering up every corner, angle and vertical plane while swearing it's neccesary.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jm1
    edited April 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    One of the things I like about the configuration, is that it shows you don't have to go overboard with acoustic treatments. It's not rocket science but most people end up cluttering up every corner, angle and vertical plane while swearing it's neccesary.

Guilty as charged. If I can duplicate this configuration with my SSP, one day I will determine if all the acoustical treatments were necessary.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I wasn't directing that at you man, just a general statement.

I applaud your projects in DIY and experimentation is the only way you figure things out. Every room is different and thank goodness for that!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • amulford
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Cool, so it's a directed control of reflection. Makes alot of sense, as that's the basis of design for symphony halls.

I have a performance of Vivaldi's Four Seasons on CD. Itzhak Perlman is playing solo for the Israel philharmonic on that one. Beautiful piece of music, I regret to say I have never heard it live. I would like to put a formal dibs on one of the recordings, if I may. Does he have any recordings of Handel's Messiah?
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I bet 2 Live Crew would sound phenom in that room.
  • amulford
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I wonder what another 60" ribbon would sound like....:cool:
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I'm speecless.... That's a mancave! Where's the fridge and bathroom? Hell, if I had a dedicated room like that, I ain't goin no where for a loooooooong time.

To those still wondering where the multichannel HT part is... take a look at the second pic. It's near the back of the room using the long wall.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I would just piss myself.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    I would just piss myself.

LOL:D While listening to 2 Live Crew;) .