Shanling/Music Hall: Same company?

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I read somewhere on the net that Shanling is made by Music Hall. Is this true? What about Ming Da, Sheng Ya, etc?
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    organ wrote:
    I read somewhere on the net that Shanling is made by Music Hall. Is this true? What about Ming Da, Sheng Ya, etc?

no, Ming Da and Sheng Ya are made by the little known company of No Lo Dong :eek: :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Which is actually a shell company owned by One Hung Lo, dba Bird in Hand.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    waaaaaaaaaa:eek::D You guys are trippin me out!

And I hear the Wu Tang Clan are working on a cdp designed specifically for rap:p ;) .
  • danger boy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    a subsidiary of the Hung Far Lo compay. With spicy beef side dish. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2006
    Options
    No Chinese gutteral humor to add, but to bring some clarity to the multi branding of same chassis CDPs. Shanling, Onix, Music Hall and Usher all use the same CDP basic unit made in China. Each adds or takes away little tweaks to make theirs unique, but they are basically the same player.

One of Shanling CD offerings looks to be the same chassis as Jolida's tube CD too. This is getting to be pretty common.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I thought Shanling was made exclusively by the Slappaho indians of northern Arizona...hmmm
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • danger boy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    I thought Shanling was made exclusively by the Slappaho indians of northern Arizona...hmmm

Waaaaaaaaa! you guys crack me up. ;)
  • crazy
    crazy Posts: 443
    edited April 2006
    Options
    From my understanding, Shanling & Music Hall share a factory but they're not the same company.
    Distant Dream - A New Beginning
    www.distantdream.com
    (Now also available on iTunes)
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Is Music Hall just an American distributor/retailer that orders components and have them made to their specs? Kinda like what Outlaw Audio and Boston Acoustics did with their pre-pro/amp combo.

BTW, the Shanghai Audio Video Exposition was just held this past weekend. Maybe new components coming. Looking for pics.
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    ok, back to the topic. I agree with Dennis and Crazy. There's probably a chance they share the same factory.

I know that Antique Sound Lab and Radii are made under the same roof. ASL is a Chinese company but not sure about Radii.

Danny,
    Can't wait for the pics:). You always find very cool pics of high end gear. I've got a tubed cd player coming from Hong Kong that I'm very excited about. It's the Original CD-A8T.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited April 2006
    Options
    organ wrote:
    I've got a tubed cd player coming from Hong Kong that I'm very excited about. It's the Original CD-A8T.

Mmmm....nice!!

a8t-1.jpg
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Ming Da is made by Meixing which is a respected name in audio in China.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I just found another highly respected company from China. "Xindak". Took a look at some of their gear and they look sweet.

Danny,
    That's the one! I just got word from the seller in HK. He just received the payment but may take up to 3 weeks to clear everything with the bank. I just hope that's a worst case scenario. I mean, I sent him a money order. It's been paid for already so it shouldn't take THAT long.
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Danny Tse wrote:
    Is Music Hall just an American distributor/retailer that orders components and have them made to their specs? Kinda like what Outlaw Audio and Boston Acoustics did with their pre-pro/amp combo.

BTW, the Shanghai Audio Video Exposition was just held this past weekend. Maybe new components coming. Looking for pics.

I am not totally sure but I think those are both made by Sherwood

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Organ did you go to that same outlet that advertises on CanuckAudioMart.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Organ -- I'm very interested in your review of that CDP once it arrives, especially the build quality and component parts. It looks awesome and I expect it to be of high quality for the price, whatever you paid for it.

Is it 120 volt?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Midnite Mick,
    Got mine from an ebay store called "Hotproductstore". They also sell Sheng Ya, Xindak, Shanling and a whole bunch of other Chinse stuff I've never heard of.

Early,
    The wait is going to kill me. I'm already breaking in a pair of JJ 12AU7 for the cdp because the stock tubes are EH. I've had experience with EH U7's and they can be too bright and forward.

It's a 220 Volt but they're including a free adaptor for North Americans.

I'm pretty sure it's a high quality cdp. Descrete op-amp/tube outputs and weighs in at 20.9lbs.

This player will go head to head against my NAD C541. I'll probably listen for about 2 weeks before putting up a review.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2006
    Options
    organ wrote:
    This player will go head to head against my NAD C541. I'll probably listen for about 2 weeks before putting up a review.

Two weeks? That's a typo. I think you meant, "two minutes."
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    He he... Gotta let the components burn in man:cool:. Maybe I should use the "burn-in" track from my voodoo XLO "Test&Burn In" cd;). Well, it's not entirely snake oil. The set up tracks help a lot.
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I saw the Originals inperson last Sunday when I bought the GTA pre. The seller got it recently and hooked it up to the SEP-1 which connected to a Melody SP-3. However, I can't comment on the CDP because I was not familiar to anything in the chain. Since I saw your post, I kind of recognize that was the "one". So, I took a close look at it. It was very well build, very solid and sturdy. His Originals was also from Hong Kong, but it was 110V. Including air shipping, the total cost was around $600, not bad!!!

-fredv-
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Fred,
    Interesting. It seems we keep running into the exact same equipments. What is this now, ASL 2004DT, GTA and now this LOL:D. My Original came up to $558 after shipping.

How's the GTA sounding now?
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Hee hee, I wonder what will be next in common :-)

I received the JAN 6922 and 7DJ8 this week. I left the JAN in the SEP-1 to burn in for a little over a day. It seemed to settle down quite a bit. Comparing to the GE, it
    has more bottom but the mid, especially the vocal, is not as crisp. I just swapped the JAN out and put in the 7DJ8. The Miniwatt 7DJ8 looks very interesting. The splatter shield looks like those in the Amperex, and it has 4 ridges from the top - another Amperex 6DJ8 family characteristics. I wonder these were made by Amperex. There are still 20 left:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Miniwatt-Philips-PCC88-7DJ8-6922-6DJ8-Sub-NOS-Tube_W0QQitemZ9717096792QQcategoryZ64629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    If it is indeed made by Amprex, then it should be as good as the JAN or even better!! I am trying to find out whether I should stock up those - only $7 a piece :-)

-fredv-