Ethics question re: Cereal 'prizes'

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok, so I'm sitting down with my girlfriend's son (6 yr old) for breakfast Saturday morning. We open a fresh box of Apple Jacks, and get the 2% gallon jug out of the fridge.

HE notices the advert for Disney's new Pixar film 'Cars' on the box, and the notation that there is a 'free racer inside!'.

I pour him a bowl, and he immediately asks me if he can dig in the box for the 'prize'. I said hell no. First of all, NO ONE is sticking their dickbeaters in a box of MY cereal for any reason. Second, isn't the rule that whomevers bowl the prize 'falls' in, gets the prize? I mean, that's how it's done, right?

Then to throw another wrench in the deal, I decide, fine - he can have the damn racer - but I GET THE NEXT ONE. Turns out it's not in the CEREAL AT ALL. I dumped 17 some odd ounces of crunchy sweetened three-grain cereal with apple & cinnamon into a mixing bowl AND NO PRIZE. I was about to get really steamed when he told me to check BETWEEN the bag and the box, low and behold - 'Sally', a baby blue Porschesque toy, in a small plastic bag (do not eat btw).

What's happened to society? Am I THAT stuck in the past? Did some kid actually EAT his toy, because he poured it INTO his bowl?

///rant off

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    What's happened to society? Am I THAT stuck in the past? Did some kid actually EAT his toy, because he poured it INTO his bowl?
    Probably....right after he ate the silica gel packet that was in his tennis shoe box (therefore the need for the "DO NOT EAT" warning right there in bold letters on the packet).

Silica_gel_samples.jpg
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2006
    'Dickbeaters'

Thanks for that one!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Girlfriend's son (6 yr old) for breakfast.

"Their dickbeaters"
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tell me you're are kidding right?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    What's happened to society? Am I THAT stuck in the past?
    If you're having internal (and expecially external) dialogue about the rightful ownership of a cereal toy, I think the answer is undeniably.......YES!!!!!!!!
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2006
    I would have smacked that rugrat across the table and said "..prizes are for faggots!", but that would have simply been a flashback.

Honestly, I would the grab him by his neck and whisper "...prizes are for girls"...and nod while pointing to picture of an Uncle.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2006
    Desiccant

Shouldn't that have 2 S's, and 1 C? Ok, so we have to spell out 'throw away' and 'do not eat' for all the waterheads and mouthbreathers in the gene pool, but we also print 'desiccant' on it? I've got a legit IQ in the high 150's, low 160's. I've been to grad school. I DON'T KNOW WHAT DESICCANT IS.

I sure as F know I'm not going to eat it though. I may set fire to it. I may tie it to a bottle rocket and launch it. I may sprinkle it over a fire ant mound, then urinate on it. I have ZERO desire to see what it tastes like, and I don't need a warning to tell me that.

Is this not crazy?

I still say, whoever pours the prize, gets the prize. Imagine a box of Post Toasties with a joint hidden inside at the next Polkfest breakfast. Wrestlemania ain't got **** on us.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:

I pour him a bowl, and he immediately asks me if he can dig in the box for the 'prize'. I said hell no. First of all, NO ONE is sticking their dickbeaters in a box of MY cereal for any reason. Second, isn't the rule that whomevers bowl the prize 'falls' in, gets the prize? I mean, that's how it's done, right?

Cheers,
    Russ

LMFAO:D:D:D!!! Just picturing Russ fighting with a 6 yr old over a cereal prize. "Get your damn dick beater outta my cereal box!"

It is more fun with the prizes inside the bag and whomever gets it, keeps the toy. But it does make sense for them to put it between the bag and box to make sure nobody accidentally swallow a prize. Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Bart ate the jagged metal "o" prize from his Krusty cereal.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,434
    edited April 2006
    Russ, you see the problem is not IQ levels or education, it's pure common sense. Something that is severely lacking these days. Everyone knows whomever ends up with the prize in their bowl, gets it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    for legal and safety reasons some kids like to put everything in their mouths.. i dont get it actually. LOL but whatever.

I'm sure Johnny Snotnose's mom and dad have brought many a lawsuits against cereal makers over the years.. why not. they have deep pockets. Just like that one guy that tried to sue McDonalds, because he ate big Macs every day and got fat.. stupid people exist every where. Even ones that eat cereal.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2006
    Russ - you need to come to my house for the Saturday morning fight over where did Dad hide "his" peanut butter captain crunch so the kids can't get into it. Since when do kids think that every box of cereal is theirs! I'm not even worried about the f'ing prize until we clearly establish which cereal belongs to who :( Simple rules my kids just don't seem to get .... you don't touch my big comfy leather recliner, the peanut butter captain crunch belongs to me, and if there is frosted flakes in the house don't even look at them because it's not worth it :D
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2006
    F1nut wrote:
    Russ, you see the problem is not IQ levels or education, it's pure common sense. Something that is severely lacking these days. Everyone knows whomever ends up with the prize in their bowl, gets it.

Thank you. I'll sleep better tonight knowing that a few good men (and women) share the same, basic belief system still, that made this country the greatest in the world. Scratch that, the galaxy.

Ok, I'll give 'them' the warning on a cereal box. I mean, it IS a box of food, whatever pours out SHOULD be edible. Then again as Shack mentioned - friggin sneakers? Why on earth would you even consider EATING anything that came out of shoe box. As stated, cereal is food - and assuming the young lad or lass pouring it can read - I can endorse, nay condone the warning. BUT SNEAKERS?

Hell, I've found these little white bags in boxes of SPEAKERS. There is someone out there RIGHT NOW opening a new pair of speakers, thinking 'hey, they threw a bag of sea salt in, I'll season my taters with this tonight'. Does this REALLY happen?

Maybe I have the scenario all wrong. Maybe the adults open the box/package of bed sheets, work boots, shelf speakers....and say 'let the kids have it'. Oh wait honey, don't give them THIS packet of desiccant!!! They might EAT it!!!

I'm not getting ANY sleep tonight.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    why not instead of silical gel. fill those little pouches with something edible instead? Like pop rocks or gummy bears? :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited April 2006
    Geeze Russ if you really wanted the toy that badly I'm sure you could have overpowered the six year old pretty easily ;)

My brother and I used to just take turns on who gets the toy in the cereal box. Following the old rule of if it lands in your bowl you get it is good but doesn't really work so well with packaging and toys of today's cereal. Sometimes they're buried, sometimes they're outside the bag and sometimes they're attached to the box itself.

If a kid old enough to pour his/her own cereal is dumb enough to eat a prize and hurt him/herself maybe it's for the better...
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2006
    I can't believe you guys put any of that **** in your mouths. The cereal ****.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited April 2006
    Russman
    I believe if you turn to page 18, paragraph 3 of the manly manual; it does in fact state that "whomever's bowl the prize falls into, shall keep the item."
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Desiccant

I sure as F know I'm not going to eat it though. I may set fire to it. I may tie it to a bottle rocket and launch it. I may sprinkle it over a fire ant mound, then urinate on it. I have ZERO desire to see what it tastes like, and I don't need a warning to tell me that.

This proves your IQ is north of 150 you crazy ****!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2006
    Kid's are funny..."hey, what the hell is this? Lemme put it in my mouth..." LOL!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2006
    steveinaz wrote:
    Kid's are funny..."hey, what the hell is this? Lemme put it in my mouth..." LOL!

Sounds like a girl I once knew.
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited April 2006
    I think it's also so kids DON'T stick there dick beaters (or **** pickers, what ever you prefer) into the box of cereal (I can't think of one kid that doesn't want the prize as soon as the box is opened [sometimes they want to open the box as soon as they get back from the store!]).

I just check my box of apple jacks and there is no CARS toy. Just a stupid secret spy spoon! What the hell am I going to do with that!?!

And what the hell happened to the old cereals? Apple jacks used to be just one bland color. Now it's 2 glowing colors with specks. And Trix just got bizarre looking. Weird shapes and color that you can use as a night light for the kids. What happened to the days of "Supper Sugar Smacks"! So sweet they give you a cavity before you finish the bowl!
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2006
    countchocula2hj.jpg

FRANKENBERRY.JPG

Cereal has only gone down hill since these.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • pmlewis
    pmlewis Posts: 100
    edited April 2006
    FYI if anyone cares.

Desiccant is used to absorb moisture. The reason you now find in everything is because of all the products made in Chine. They put these little bags in so stuff won’t rust or mold on ship.

My favorite toys were the subs or divers that I think they came in Cap’N Crunch. You would put baking soda in them, put them in water and they would dive to the bottom and then “magically” float back to the top.
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2006
    dick beaters=booger hooks
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited April 2006
    The prize belongs to whomevers bowl it falls into however we all know how easy it is to manipulate the cereal and box until the prize is ready to fall out.

So the decision is made to switch who gets the prize with each box of cereal. Then the kids forget who got the last one or the new one is way better and it is not fair.

therefore all the prizes should be divied up by the parent and if the parent wants to keep the toy then the kid needs to get a job and buy his own cereal.

I agree that the dickskinners need to stay out of the box. If you want to fondle the cereal in your bow then have at it but if you want to contaminate my cereal then we are gona have problems.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited April 2006
    Peterpumpers
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2006
    In my house we always used to dig around for the toy. The "official" rule was whoever's bowl it fell into owned it, but my dad didn't play fair, so I'd have to sneak and get the toy out first. But that requires digging, which as we've determined via colorful euphamisms, is disgusting. Since SOMEONE'S gonna dig for that toy, might as well put it somewhere reasonably sanitary.

Unfortunately, my "adult" cereals don't come with toys. Raisin Bran and Honey Bunches of Oats sure would be more exciting if they did though.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2006
    my brother and I grew up hearing our paws referred to as "greasy meathooks"
    as in--- get your "damn greasy meathooks out of that cereal box"
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited April 2006
    I miss the CrackerJack toys. Didn't need glue because the sticky stuff on your fingers stuck everything together. THOSE were toys to fight over buddy.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited April 2006
    I miss the CrackerJack toys. Didn't need glue because the sticky stuff on your fingers stuck everything together. THOSE were toys to fight over buddy.

Now cracker jacks come with some lame-**** paper something-or-another that isn't worth opening the box for.

We used to get something you could actually choke on if you were one of "those" people.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Drumingman
    Drumingman Posts: 348
    edited April 2006
    They really should not put a warning on the Silica packet telling people not to eat it, it thins out the herd.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2006
    ROTFLMAO! You guys are out of control! Keep it coming:D
    Carl