SDA-SRS common ground problem

Options
jnilson
jnilson Posts: 7
edited April 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I have a question is there a way to to get around this? I read a couple of threads and one said to take a cable connect it to one neg terminal on one amp and do the same on the other one. I have a carver tfm-55 and a hafler xl600 do you think it will work with those amps by doing that. My dad has the speakers and can't wait to hear them bridged! I heard of this problem being resolved but i need more help to achieve this. I also heard of using the AI-1 cable but i don't think it will work with my dads because i don't have both serial #'s greater than 5001. Can someone please help me to achieve this and get these speakers bridged. I might give polk a call to see what i can do if noone responds to this.
thanks,
aj
Post edited by jnilson on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Giving Polk a call is the best way to get all the facts. You can only hook grounds together on separate amps if the amps are built to tolerate this.

Personally, I wouldn't want to bridge 2 amps so different in design as the Hafler and Carver. They are nothing alike and don't pretend to be. Bridged and run on separate channels is asking for a mixed bag of sound. Has he run them biamped? Both in stereo, one for high/one for lows?

I can't imagine your Dad even needing more than the TFM55 would put out unless he lives in a barn.

Just my opinion,

Dennis
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Agree you should not run different mfr amps bridged. The Carver TFM55 is a very powerful amp and should make those Polks sing all by it's lonesome. The TFM55 puts out 380W into 8 ohms and 500W into 4 ohms. Bridged you get1000W out of it. Try the Carver by itself, it should be plenty of power.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.