Combining db5250's and db525's

Satch
Satch Posts: 10
edited April 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,

This is my first post and I'm a newbie in terms of car audio and installation, so please bear with me!

I'm looking at replacing the factory fitted speakers in my Hyundai Tucson with some better speakers in order to improve the audio quality. Like most people, I've got a certain budget to work within which is limiting my choices somewhat.

What I'd like to know is would it be a sensible choice to choose db5250's as my front speakers (the Tucson has tweeter enclosures build into the inside of its wing mirrors), and db525's as my rear speakers. Would this combination work together successfully?

At this stage I'm not intending to replace the factory head unit, which is a bog standard Hyundai stereo.

Any help would be appreciated!

Satch.
Post edited by Satch on

Comments

• 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    well i wouldnt even use the rear speakers if your going to be using the db 5250s in the front, the rear will tend to smear the image you have. but if you want a little reaar fill that setup should work fine. only thin you might wanna consider a small amp and a small sub for your bass.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • Satch
    edited April 2006
    Thanks for your reply 98thumpin, I appreciate your input.

Would you suggest keeping the factory speakers in the rear then? I'm a bit anal when it comes to things like this, I like to have them match. I also want to keep away from the expense and hassle (I intend on installing them myself) of amps and subs. For the moment anyways...

I've got Polk RTi38's on my two channel at home and absolutely love them. That's why I'm excited at the prospect of putting Polk in my car.

At only NZ$140 (approx US$90) for the db525's, I'm prepared to buy them even if not essential. But input from forum members is welcome!

Or...should I consider putting db5250's in the rear as well? Can you use just the woofer part of a component set without the crossovers?

Input from forum members is welcome!

Regards,
    Satch.
  • B3Nut
    B3Nut Posts: 76
    edited April 2006
    That sounds like a good upgrade path, hard to go wrong with DB's as an upgrade from stock. I've been auditioning components for my '06 Kia Rio5 and the DB's are still one of the better-sounding I've heard. For an all-round DIY replacement I don't think you can beat them for the price. If you like having the fill from the rears I'd go ahead and replace those as well. But looking at Crutchfield's what-fits-my-car gadget, the Tucson doesn't use 5 1/4" front speakers, they're 6.5" (pretty much every current Hyundai/Kia model has 6.5's up front). You'd want the db6500's up front. The rear doors can take a 6.5, but the DB coax 6.5's may be too deep. The 525's are listed as a fit. I don't think they use a smaller speaker size in non-US versions, interior bits are pretty much standardized. 5.25" speakers can be made to work but you'll lose some bass going that route. They should sound nice with the stock Hyundai head, the newer ones are quite nice and usably powerful for stock. My Kia has the new Hyundai-Mobis double-DIN CD deck, it works well, I was pleasantly surprised. DB's are efficient enough to run happily off a head unit, you can always add an amplifier later if you decide you need more clean volume. I'm hoping the component tweets can be shoehorned into the stock sail-panel locations (my Rio has the tweets up there like the Tucson). The stock tweeters can be shrill and spitty...I found the DB tweeters (both in the components and the coaxials I listened to) to be much more musical. They really shine with solo acoustic guitar.

But try to go with 6.5", at least up front. The rear doors are less critical, but a 6.5 should fit there since Hyundai usually uses that speaker size for doors in the current vehicles. Mounting depth may be an issue in the rear, however, so the 525's may be the only choice for the rear doors.

Happy listening!

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2006
    Yes those speakers would work fine and give you much better sound quality over your current stock speakers especially if youre going to retain your stock head unit.

I agree that you should go with 6.5" speakers up front for better low range performance.

And go with the DB525's in the rear. Having rear speakers can hurt your image and detail a bit but its not the end of the world and if you haul people around its nice for them to be able to hear music as well.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Satch
    edited April 2006
    Thanks guys. Now you've increased my budget by convincing me to go with the db6500's! But seriously, the advice is really appreciated.

In terms of the db525's for the rears, I'll be replacing the stock 6.5 inch speakers currently in my Tucson. I'll obviously require some sort of bracket to do so. Where are these brackets normally available from? Do car audio retailers sell these, or will I need to aquire one from the dealership?

Will the db6500's also require a bracket given I'm replacing 6.5 with 6.5 inch speakers?

And finally, I'm assuming my front stock speakers already have a crossover since they are woofer and separate tweeter (is this correct?). I'd obviously replace these crossovers with the Polk ones, but where would they be located? In the door with the woofers?

As always, thanks for your input people.

Regards,
    Satch.
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    The midrange is probably running full range and the tweeter will likely have its crossover built in.

If your rear speakers are 6.5 you should replace them with the DB650's.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Satch
    edited April 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    The midrange is probably running full range and the tweeter will likely have its crossover built in.
    Damn, if this is the case then I'm not sure I'm going to be able to cope with the install. Will pull a door panel apart to investigate this weekend.
    MacLeod wrote:
    If your rear speakers are 6.5 you should replace them with the DB650's.
    Unfortunately the db650's are not a fit so would require customisation, and again out of my league.
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    The crossover would be built in to the tweeter itself. Its only about the size of a big asprin. It wont complicate things at all.

• Satch
    edited April 2006
    I was thinking that if the crossover for the stock speaker was built into the tweeter, then when I replace the stock speakers with the Polk db6500's, I'd have to put the new crossovers somewhere (they are much bigger, aren't they?).

Would this not also necessitate a change to wiring as well?
  • kenstewart
    kenstewart Posts: 139
    edited April 2006
    For the 5.25s, you can buy adapters/brackets from Crutchfield or any other car audio dealer. But for a pretty simple, better, and less expensive method just get some 1/2" to 3/4" MDF and make your own bracket. Cost you less than $5 at Lowes's/Home Depot for a 2x4 sheet.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    Image Dynamics CXS54 Chameleons component setup
    Two 8" Image Dynamics ID8D2v.3 subs
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    MTX MXA3002 2-channel amp for comps
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
    Stinger and Knukoncpetz wiring
  • Satch
    edited April 2006
    Thanks. Are the brackets specific to car make and model, or are the a universal type item?
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2006
    They make universal ones, but here's a link to the Tucson adapters:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3J4OtljS01y/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=760&I=142SAC656&search=speaker+adapters

It's wierd though, as you pick your make/model of vehicle this says it fits, then when I posted the link here, it says doesn't fit. I went back and put in search for speaker adapters and it says it fits again :)
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • Satch
    edited April 2006
    I got the same weird result. But as I'm in New Zealand I cannot purchase from Crutchfield anyway. I'll ask a local car audio dealer. Thanks.
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2006
    No prob Satch, how 'bout these off Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scosche-SAC-656-Speaker-adapters_W0QQitemZ9713417933QQcategoryZ32818QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Still the option of making your own out of MDF or plywood ... very easy to do.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • Satch
    edited April 2006
    Thanks mate. Will look tonight as my company blocks eBay.

I don't really have the tools to do a DIY with wood etc as I live in an inner city apartment. But thanks for the idea.

I'm still not sure where the crossovers will need to be located. Would you have any ideas?
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2006
    The crossovers aren't that big, your cabin is as big if not bigger than my Explorer Sport Trac and I have the MMC5250s. The crossovers are only like a 4 inch x6 inch with probably 1.5 inch height. I mounted mine on the floors next to the kick panels. Driver's side I mounted it where the dead pedal is and on the passenger side I mounted it on the floor as well, but centered underneath the dash far & high enough forward so no one kicks it when they get in.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • Satch
    edited April 2006
    Now that's starting to sound more than just a simple installation! I had thoughts of "plug and play". In my naive world, the crossovers fitted nicely inside the door next to the speakers.

Ok you can stop laughing now... :)
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2006
    I'm not familiar with the Tucson doors, it could be that simple though if you have enough room. Problem is, if you want to adjust your crossovers later you'd have to take your panels back off which is why you want them accessible.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • Satch
    edited April 2006
    Good point, but if I'm to do the job myself, I don't want to be messing around with running additional wiring etc, and drilling holes into my brand new vehicle.

If it came to that I'd rather get a professional installer to do the job. Might cost the work and see what I'd be up for.