Ok, question for any NAD C521BEE CDP owners...

Options
ClemmonsHoo
ClemmonsHoo Posts: 51
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Well, the stereo shop called today, and my C521BEE came in, so I took the C542 back in and picked mine up. :-(

I am none too happy. The 521 sounds fine (not as good as the 542), but the display does not match the display of the receiver at all. Instead of the background being black with whiteish characters like the receiver (and like the C542), the background is bright blue with greenish-yellowish characters. Is this right? I'll be bummed if it is.
Post edited by ClemmonsHoo on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I'm on the road right now, however my C521 matches the display on my C720 receiver. I'll have to check when I get home.

Doug
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Well, the stereo shop called today, and my C521BEE came in, so I took the C542 back in and picked mine up. :-(

I am none too happy. The 521 sounds fine (not as good as the 542), but the display does not match the display of the receiver at all. Instead of the background being black with whiteish characters like the receiver (and like the C542), the background is bright blue with greenish-yellowish characters. Is this right? I'll be bummed if it is.
    I would be more interested in how does the sound of the C521 BEE you ordered compare to the loaner ? cosmetics are nice but like an old street racing friend of mine used to say "Chrome dont get you Home" if the C542 sounds better to your ears maybe it would be worthwhile for you to spend the extra bucks on the C542.thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Maybe you can ask the dealer if you could have the 542 instead by paying the difference.
  • ClemmonsHoo
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The dealer will let me pay the difference, but it's hard to swallow paying another $200.

As for the sound, when I first fired up the 521 it definitely sounded warmer than the 542. But after listening to it for a few hours now, I don't know, but I can't really tell that much difference.

I've tried to find pictures of the 521 online and from the ones I've found, the display looks like it should match. Mine looks like it's misadjusted or something, but there is no adjustment provided thru any of the user controls. I don't really want to open the case.
  • unbridled_id
    unbridled_id Posts: 179
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The c542 has a VFL Display where as the 521bee has a EL Backlit Display...
    The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2006
    Options
    which means it could have had the lights changed maybe? or are they leds.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ClemmonsHoo
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Well, I took the 521 back to the shop and explained my issue. The guy said that he had not seen a display like mine had and that some of the units had an undocumented adjustment on the bottom of the case. Mine did not.

Knowing myself as well as do and that the display would bug the heck out of me, I opted to order a new C542. The sting of spending an extra $200 should wear off in a few weeks I guess.

Thanks for all of your replies.