Best Speaker Placement for stereo listening

Options
crazy
crazy Posts: 443
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I was wondering what is the best speaker setup for 2 channel listening.

I tried experimenting with speaker placements yesterday - when the speaker were closer to the listening area (PLACEMENT 1), they seemed to generate better bass response, better sound-stage etc.

However, when I pushed them further back against the well and seperated them further (PLACEMENT 2), the bass response seemed reduced and the sound-stage wasn't that crisp.

The room size is around 14x14
Distant Dream - A New Beginning
www.distantdream.com
(Now also available on iTunes)
Post edited by crazy on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited April 2006
    Options
    no one can tell you the best set-up for your room. It takes time and a lot of patience and listening. Here are some set-up procedures to help:

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq.html#speakers

I followed the Audio Physics method and it works out pretty well in my small room.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I would say you should of experienced the opposite of your findings, with a better stage and bass when you moved them back to the wall and wider apart, you can lose some focus as they get wider apart but you should not lose soundstage. Maybe that is what you are trying to say when you say they are not as "crisp".

You hear what you hear. The old equilateral triangle is where you start then work from there, just keep at it.

RT1
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2006
    Options
    How close to the wall did you place them? You should get a bigger soundstage and more bass in placement 2. Maybe they were seperated too much. Try it again with the speakers closer together. Make an equilateral triangle with the two speakers and your sweet spot.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I would say you should of experienced the opposite of your findings, with a better stage and bass when you moved them back to the wall and wider apart, you can lose some focus as they get wider apart but you should not lose soundstage.

Most setups have given me the opposite. Unless you're very lacking in bass you want to move them away from the walls/ corners. The equilaterial triangle is very true, but the distance is a balancing act. Idealy closer is better. You have the whole first watt sounds the best thing going for you and you can produce much larger dynamics before the amp is tapped out (halving the distance is like doubling the volume). On the flip side, B&W's tend to come apart at low wattage, so a little volume/ distance is good.

So- I would move them as far out into the room as the WAF allows, then vary the distance between them, moving the couch to complete the triangle and find what sounds best. If moving them into the room isn't an option, then read up on room treatments.

You spent a lot on those B&W's and you want to get the most out of them :)
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I bet those Beemers kicks serious ****. What are you powering them with?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Krell 400xi, iirc.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • crazy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    organ wrote:
    I bet those Beemers kicks serious ****. What are you powering them with?

Krell 400Xi integrated amps.
    www.distantdream.com
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Sweet. You've got some serious power behind them.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Moving them closer to the walls will give emphasize bass response, stop confusing him.

Closer to wall more bass
    Wider apart larger stage/less focus

Its not effin rocket science. Put the speakers where you like, I am out, rest of the peanut gallery have fun.

RT1
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I would place them directly to the left and right of your listening position....approximately 4 inches from each ear.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • crazy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    I would place them directly to the left and right of your listening position....approximately 4 inches from each ear.

That would indeed be recipe for disaster!
    www.distantdream.com
  • crazy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Time to do some experimenting today ... thing is that those B&W's are so heavy that moving them around is really TOUGH!!
    www.distantdream.com
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    It's all good. Just think of it as a good workout. Just becareful with your back when moving those heavy monsters around. Keep us posted on your results.
  • crazy
    edited April 2006
    Options
    That's actually a good question - what's the best way to move heavy speakers? The Polk Audio LSi's look heavy as well. Any thoughts/ suggestions?
    www.distantdream.com
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Just don't pick 'em up next to a window and let them fall through it! :eek:
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    That's tough. I've modded my RF's which added probably an extra 10 pounds on each speaker so they're damn heavy right now. I still had to pick them up when moving the speakers around. Really hurt my shoulders for a few days the last time I did it. Get a good stretch before your speaker moving workout.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    unc2701 wrote:
    ... the distance is a balancing act. Idealy closer is better. You have the whole first watt sounds the best thing going for you and you can produce much larger dynamics before the amp is tapped out (halving the distance is like doubling the volume).
    Ding Ding Ding... SPL drop occurs as the square of the distance. Double the distance between your listening psotion and the speakers, and the SPL reduction is a factor of 4, or 6 dB.

ab,
    When you did your listening test, did you increase the volume during the near-wall portion to make the SPL equal at your listening position to what you heard during your nearfield portion? Important to do, as within reason, we tend to think that louder sounds fuller or better.

As for soundstage, there are a lot more competitive room effects/ reflections in play in your near-wall set up since the path to your ears of reflected sound is not much longer than the direct path to your ears, so the SPL of reflected sound is close to that of the direct and "muttles" the soundstage.

By contrast the distance direct sound has to travel during the near field test is much shorter than even the shortest relected path. So the SPL of the direct sound waves will overwhelm all reflections occurring during that test and the resulting image will naturally be more precise.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD