Signature Reference vs DB Series

polk_audio_lsi
polk_audio_lsi Posts: 71
edited April 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Polk Audio only makes 6 1/2" component's for the Signature Reference. I'm thinking about getting them for my 2000 Monte Carlo. Would it be a terrible difference if I would get MOMO 6"x9"s? Or if I would do Signature Reference 6 1/2" components in the front and the back would a Polk MOMO 2 channel amp pushing 200 watts per channel be able to power them properly.

I've read reviews and Polk's saying it's like having LSi home speakers in your car. First of all I was thinking about doing all DB series cause I've heard they're 6"x9"s and I think they sound really good. What would you all recommend me do?

You've probably seen me on several posts obsessing about Home Theater. Well I've finally came to a conclusion what I want and I'm just gonna build it piece-by-piece one-at-a-time.
CURRENT SYSTEM:

(TV) Sylvania 24"
(DVD Player) LG DVF 9900
Sony Playstation 2
(Receiver) Onkyo TX-SR503
(Front Speakers) Polk Audio Monitor 40
(Center Channel) Polk Audio CS 1
(Surround) Paradigm Cinema ADP [Dipole] (On top of Polk Audio Monitor 40)
(Subs) Pioneer CS-G9001 (Bi-wired with Fronts subwoofers only working layed down up against back of couch)
Monster Fiber Optic Cable (DVD Player to Receiver), Monster speaker wire
Post edited by polk_audio_lsi on

Comments

• jderdock
    jderdock Posts: 131
    edited April 2006
    Polk Audio only makes 6 1/2" component's for the Signature Reference. I'm thinking about getting them for my 2000 Monte Carlo. Would it be a terrible difference if I would get MOMO 6"x9"s? Or if I would do Signature Reference 6 1/2" components in the front and the back would a Polk MOMO 2 channel amp pushing 200 watts per channel be able to power them properly.

I'm confused. Crutchfield says the 2000 Monte Carlo has 6 1/2"s up front and in the back. What's the issue?
    Rega P3 > Parasound Zphono > NAD C320BEE > Polk LSi 15
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2006
    and you're comparing the top of the line components to a middle of the line coaxially mounted "by nine?" Let's compare your monte to a kia. Same difference.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2006
    There's nothing wrong with mounting the SR's coaxially if you'd like, but the SR's are a much better speaker in build quality compared to that of the DB. That's not to say that you won't like the DB........it's just whether or not you want to spend the extra coin on the SR's
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2006
    Save your cash, no need to put SR's in the back. If you want rear fill get a set of coaxials.

What will the rest of the system be composed of?
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2006
    The Momo 2 channel amp makes 150 watts per channel.

The Signature Reference line is Polks high end line and designed to compete with the best speakers on the market at half the price. The DB line is their entry level line and cant hold a candle to the SR's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • polk_audio_lsi
    polk_audio_lsi Posts: 71
    edited April 2006
    OK 150 watts per channel not 200 my bad. Well, will a 2 channel Polk amp be enough to properly power them then, if I would get components for the front and rears? Or do you think I should just get components up front and coaxial's in back. And if that case should I get DB series or MOMO series? And then another thing, what about amp cuz Polk Audio don't offer much on amps. But then again I'm TRYING to keep things just Polk. I find it much better end results when you stick with one series / brand.

I'm thinking this:
    Alpine CDA-9853
    Polk RS 6 1/2 (door)
    Polk ??? (rear)
    Polk DB212-2 (sub)
    2 Polk C500.1 monoblock subs (one for each woofer)
    C300.2 2-channel amp (for fronts and rears)
    CURRENT SYSTEM:

(TV) Sylvania 24"
    (DVD Player) LG DVF 9900
    Sony Playstation 2
    (Receiver) Onkyo TX-SR503
    (Front Speakers) Polk Audio Monitor 40
    (Center Channel) Polk Audio CS 1
    (Surround) Paradigm Cinema ADP [Dipole] (On top of Polk Audio Monitor 40)
    (Subs) Pioneer CS-G9001 (Bi-wired with Fronts subwoofers only working layed down up against back of couch)
    Monster Fiber Optic Cable (DVD Player to Receiver), Monster speaker wire
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2006
    I'd say a 300.2 for the SRs in front, with coaxial momo or db (momo preferably, but depends on your budget) in the rear... maybe a 300.2 to power them, though that's overkill... if you're thinking of adding a small sub in the future, maybe a 400.4 for the rears, with 2 channels left over to be bridged to the sub...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    id go with neos setup sound good.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV