Cd/dvd Player Suggestion

Options
univera
univera Posts: 848
edited April 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Any suggestions for a moderately priced combo CD/DVD player that is up to standards for my SDA/SRS's? I am currently using an older Toshiba 3109 DVD player which I thought might not be maximizing the sound (although it sounds pretty awesome and I have read reviews here speaking favorably of Toshiba DVD sound quality.) My budget falls in line with NAD priced equipment that is currently very adequately powering my speakers. I am interested in SACD and similar formats. Additionally, I am using an older Monitor Series 7600 as my power source, so I don't have the option of using it's DAC's (since there are none.) I have a T-770 A/V piece with Burr Brown's, but it's power/headroom can't touch that of the 7600. Also, I have read the talk about bridging these speakers. Just to confirm, they CAN'T be run bridged mono whatsoever without doing some funky wiring? I would like to harness the amplifier of my receiver and purchase an additional amp of equal power to run each speaker seperately. Lastly, what is "redbook" cd's? Admitted Newbie. I just haven't kept up with this arena in the past several years. Thanks in advance.
UNIVERA
Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
AVR: NAD T 773
Rears: Polk LC80i
DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
Subs: Velodyne and M&K
T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
Post edited by univera on

Comments

• Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited April 2006
    Options
    What DVD player you choose depends a lot on what performance level your looking for and your budget. As you get into the higher end models the differences are in higher quality electrical components in the audio section, better DACs, separate power supplies for the audio section and better transport systems. Many of the Sony ES series have good price/performance ratios. Lots of acclaim for some of the Denons as well.
    Any idea what your budget might be for replacing this unit.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.