what do you guys think of this outfit?

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited April 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've seen a couple of auctions from these guys for the db6500's, and the price is pretty much too good to be true... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9713352892&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

What do you guys think?
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2006
    Well after shipping the price is $126 bucks. Crutchfield has them for $199 dollars with free shipping, plus you have a warranty. If you have never ordered from Crutchfield, me or someone else can give you our code that will give you a $20 dollar discount, and the other person a $20 dollar credit. If interested send me a PM.

Even without the discount, for a little more you know you are getting the real deal. Not somethig that is refurbished or a gray market item. Polk takes care of their customers very well if a problem were to arise.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2006
    I think Im pretty well known for poo poo'ing buying stuff off of Ebay, especially electronics and audio gear. Its far too easy to get crappy stuff.

SoundDomain is usually always having a sale of some kind and if you catch em right you can get things cheaper than you can on Ebay but have it fully authorized. For instance, a couple years ago I snagged my set of MM6 components ($300 retail) for $160 off of Sounddomain, fully authorized!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    edited April 2006
    I have bought stuff on Ebay, but it's usually stuff that is no longer made. An example would be my Alpine PXA-H600 digital phase processor. Those things were hard to come by, even when in production. I bought it from a guy in Australia. I would not buy from one of those high volume Ebay dealers. I try to stick to the guys just trying to get rid of their own personal stuff they have used themselves.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    i dont do e-bay at all my wife bought some harry potter books but that was about it
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2006
    i've had decent experiences with ebay, though i've stuck with the reputable sellers (very high approval ratings etc.)... and i've never gone with anything that could be faked, like a speaker...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    edited April 2006
    Funny sig there Neo :D.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    :p:D

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited April 2006
    Polk sells to them knowing they will resell for under msrp. Thats why Polk will not honor any warranty if purchased from said retailer/reseller.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2006
    Good Lord noah.......that's the gayest sounding thread title I've ever seen......;)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • KevinLWhitaker
    KevinLWhitaker Posts: 47
    edited April 2006
    I have bought numerous electronic items (head unit, speakers, headphones, amps) off of ebay "dealers" at great prices and have had great experiences. I do "comparison" shop ebay vs. other internet sources (to include Crutchfield) and do consider full shipped cost of each source. I have had much better experiences on ebay from those who appear to be true dealers vs. private individuals ie people who have a ebay store, multiple items listed, and/or a long history on ebay (my private party experience is the opposite and I avoid them). I do look for some kind of warranty and return policy but have yet to have to use it. Bottom line is if it makes sense economically, the dealer is reputable, and there is some warranty or return policy, I do not hesitate to buy.

Currently I am eyeing the SR6500s on ebay but have not convinced myself to replace my MM6s. Also, I am much quicker to buy a $100 item off ebay vs. a $500 item.

Kevin
  • 1996blackmax
    edited April 2006
    I have seen many of those online stores that offer warranties on there. They basically want you to go to a shop and have the unit tested, otherwise they will not honor the warranty. Some of those guys sell counterfeit stuff, and B stock. If you do not care about that, then it's fine. B stock could be as simple as something being off color, or something a lot worse. Thing is you never really know.

There are other 3rd party warranty companies that will also offer a warranty on Ebay goods. I would rather go that route and pay a few extra bucks, that way there will be no hassle with the "sellers warranty" hoops.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • KevinLWhitaker
    edited April 2006
    One thing I forgot to mention is don't expect ebay and/or paypal to help should you have problems. You probabaly won't be out any money but it may be tied up for 30 days if there is an issue.

Also, many of the reputable sellers on ebay also have virtual web stores which can be found with a little investigation. If this is the case you can check their online warranty (which may differ from the ebay listing warranty, i have found this in some cases) and can also ask Cardomain to review for a price match.

Finally, this outfit (12vkings) appears to be very reputable. 100% positive feedback, 3808 comments, and member since Feb 04. Additionally, looking at their feedback I see that there is nothing but good comments. With shipping this will save you $73 as opposed to Cardomain but only gives a 90 day warranty. This one would be on the bubble for me and I would probably go Cardomain. If the savings were on the order of $100 then I would go with 12v.

Kevin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Good Lord noah.......that's the gayest sounding thread title I've ever seen......;)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

That took me a couple seconds to catch on to! :p

Now all he has to do is find some shoes to go with it and bring out his eyes!

Oh, and as for Neo's sig......kelly-monaco-gm_l6.jpg....are you telling me that you dont?!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Oh, and as for Neo's sig......kelly-monaco-gm_l6.jpg....are you telling me that you dont?!
    for her, anything... :p

• 1996blackmax
    edited April 2006
    Easy there fellas :D....
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    pshh... we're coming up on what we call 'carnival', wherein we get thursday-sunday off, have events, concerts, actual carnival rides (yeah, i know, but they're more fun than you'd think)... oh, yeah, and parties pretty much all day and night...

don't you dare tell me to take it easy, cause from wednesday night till monday, you won't be hearing from me... :D

• 1996blackmax
    edited April 2006
    One of the guys from work just got back from Brazil. He went to Carnival down there, lucky fella :D......................
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 1996blackmax
    edited April 2006
    Oh and Neo, I still do the rides at the fairs, and amusement parks. Have to get on there with my little ones :D.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    id like to ride her at the fair
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • KevinLWhitaker
    edited April 2006
    What happened to the pictures? They were there last night and now there gone. Good things never last.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    no, they're definitely there... thank tim...

• 1996blackmax
    edited April 2006
    Still there for me too :).
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2006
    the funny thing about the internet is that everyone seems to rather buy their stuff online instead of at local retailers. Guess what, 90% of the time (pending you find a good salesman/retailer, there's always D-bag shops out there) you'll get a FAR better price, a full warranty and you get to hear/play with it before you buy it so you know whether you should get it or not. What happens if you buy it online (no matter where or at what price) and you realize that you don't like the item? Oops. Then you have to hassle with the return and all that. Screw that. Plus, Crutchfield for pricing? That's a complete joke. They shoot everything at MSRP and occasionally they put things on "sale" for MAP. Go to any retailer out there and everything is at map, never MSRP. Plus, you can barter them into giving you a better price (up to 25% off... still warrantied). The only way I'd buy anything off the internet is if someone had a closeout sale on a new item. The only other reason is if I was looking for a discontinued piece/hard to find piece. If it's new in box and still current, local only. Granted you're listening to someone who's been selling electronics for over 7 years now and have a VERY good grasp on how the whole industry works. When I worked at my previous employer, I had full control over my pricing and for most of my friends/good customers, they only paid 15-20% over cost which is almost ebay/used prices. Now even if you need to buy one piece at full price to earn some report with the sales guy, it'll pay off in the long run. The internet is wonderful for information...

[/rant]
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.