Hmmm

howie777
howie777 Posts: 357
edited April 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well after suffering too long I can't continue this insanity. I had to remove my alpine (and lose my ipod) as the alpine was starting to cause my bose amps/speakers to die on me! So I said screw it and went back to factory. This sucks, I really miss the ipod. So I decided enough was enough and took apart my door to have a look and setting this what will fit question for good. I measured 1.9" of depth in the door until I hit glass worst case. This isn't much, but as you can see, there is about another inch (I think it was 1.1") of space built into the speaker itself. So with a adapter (probalby just make one) I think I can get any of polks speakers in there. Then there was the tweeter issue (how to mount). It looks like this will be a snap as well as the stock one just screws into a bracket, which it looks like the polks can use this as well. And it should all look factory when I'm done.

I think I'm just going to say screw it and get the SR6500's. They should fit easier then the MMC6500s (not as deep) so that is my reasoning to spend more :D I will power them with a 400.4 amp. All I plan on now is the SR6500's. I may opt for a 10" SR and 500.1 amp later, but truck space is at a premium as I need to get two full paintball gear bags in there and one takes about 1/2 the truck.

Questions:

1) Should I at least hit the doors with some sound material, I have no planes to do anything but the doors if I do. For now at least.

2) See any issues with a spacer that is about an inch thick?

3) Will polks stock screws in the 400.4 work for attaching to the back of my rear seats? (I may try to hang the amp from the rear deck with a couple inches of breathing room, and upside right). And is there anything I need to know before I do this? (such as the screw will be felt if a passenger sits on the seat if you aren't careful)

Thanks,

Howie
Post edited by howie777 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2006
    1) Yes. The reason for this is to cut down on resonance and buzzing panels which can really screw up your SQ. Its also a great idea to slap some damping onto the door panel itself where the speaker mounts. The reason being, the speaker can cause vibrations in the door panel that its mounted to which can transmit to the speaker itself.

2) No issues with a spacer. Use 1" thick piece of plywood and stick a layer of Dynamat over it and youll have yourself one great mounting surface.

3) Dont know if those screws will work but its simply a trip down to the local Home Depot to pick up some screws that will fit right.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • howie777
    edited April 2006
    Thanks MacLeod,

more questions

1) Should I use the crossover for the SR6500's seeing as I'm using the C400.4amp? If something hit the pre-eq button in the truck I'd probably lose my tweeters so maybe its better just to use the cross over network and play it safe?

2) If I should just use the active crossover of the amp, should I use the pre-eq button or is that better for MMC not SRs?

Howie
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited April 2006
    You play paintball? I used to play every Sunday like it was church.
  • howie777
    edited April 2006
    Yeah occasionaly only though. I don't have $50 a pop to go more than 1-2 times a month at best. I even have my own electronics in my paintball marker :D.

Fun stuff, just wish I could afford to play 2-3 times a week and do a bunch of tourneys.

Howie
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2006
    Id stick with the SR crossover. The Polk engineers went to an awful lot of time and trouble to design a crossover network good enough to bring out the best in the SR's. Unless youre wanting to ink out the last .00002 of SQ, those passive units will be just fine and safer.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • deepinya
    edited April 2006
    howie777 wrote:
    Yeah occasionaly only though. I don't have $50 a pop to go more than 1-2 times a month at best. I even have my own electronics in my paintball marker :D.

Fun stuff, just wish I could afford to play 2-3 times a week and do a bunch of tourneys.

Howie

Hey $50 is nothing! Ive been playing since paint was $100/case + fees!

What kind of marker? Got pics?
  • howie777
    edited April 2006
    Here are some pics. I have a TCP Extreme autococker (local store's brand, autocockers are now a thing of the past though - very fast) and a 2005 Proto Matrix with the UltraLight frame, also very fast (for the frame it came with I have my own circuit board, and someday I'll have one for this frame as well)

Pretty fun, but seeing as a single day will run 55 for paint, 10 for field+air and that only lasts one day at best (most shots per game was about 600 rounds, just over 1/4 a case, that hurt). Its just too much $, or I'm too poor. And tourney's run me about 3 cases of paint for a one day event plus another 50 for entry fee.
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    ever heard of a bob long autococker?
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • deepinya
    edited April 2006
    I owned one the first he ever made. Me and my cousing bought 2 at the same time when they first came out. Blue for me and silver for him.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2006
    i have a tippman a5 i havent used in a year...lol
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    i have a tippman prolite
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system: