amplifiers vs recievers

Options
trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited August 2001 in Technical/Setup
Hi all,
A question about the advantages of using an amp. in conjunction with a reciever.

Yesterday a bought a sony N9000 ES amplifier.
115watts/ 5 channel. I'm currently using a sony ES 110 watt reciever.

speakers are: 1000s front, 1000 center channel, 500's surrounds, and 2) 450 subs.

The guy was telling me that there is much more than wattage
in the equation, that dampening and...yadda...

I do have everything running through the monster "conditioning"
center. But to be honest, I really don't notice a big difference.

Is it worth the expense for the amplifier?

-luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Hi:

When I bought my B&K 200W X 3 channel amp I noticed a big difference. Whereas the high frequencies were somewhat bright the amp toned it down a lot, the base was more defined and I heard things I had never heard before.

If I were you I believe I would buy a B&k, Adcom, or some other medium to high end brand. I don't think you will notice a difference with a Sony ES amp vs the Sony Receiver amp.

Gary
  • lbrenner
    lbrenner Posts: 33
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Another seemingly wasteful thing that might be worth a try would be to use your new amp for just the front 3 speakers, and continue to use the receiver for the surrounds. When I read reviews of these things, the power output per channel decreases as the number of channels being driven (loudly) increases. You just might be able to get more total power by dividing things up this (or some other) way. (I'm guess the overall quality of the separate amp is better than that of the receiver, which is why I suggested using the amp for all three front speakers. They tend to be the more critical ones.)

Gary may have the better idea, though, if the Sony amp just isn't enough better than their ES receiver to make a big difference...
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2001
    Options
    You may not hear much of a diff as long as you are still using a receiver as a pre-amp. A Sony receiver at that.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2001
    Options
    ...by the others already.
    My two added cents would be: I have to question the salesman's statement, "there is much more than wattage in the equation". IMO, I can't see where the wattage is in the equation at all. The Sony amp is rated at 115 watts p/ch and the Sony rcvr at 110 watts p/ch? In reality, what difference does that make? Basically, none. It's a real moot point. I can't sit here and quote the other spec differences for the two devices, that are supposed to be "in the equation", but I would be willing to bet they too are probably fairly moot points.

Perhaps a less subtle change in the power supply would yield more favorable/audible results. Combining that with a change in pre-amp would only increase the chances of getting more favorable results.