GM Theftlock Lockout

candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited August 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 97 Pontiac Trans sport minivan that the previous owner must have locked up the GM cd player possibly by trying too many codes. Nothing is displayed such as LOC or INOP but the theftlock led is blinking. I found these instructions but they didn't work. The dealer wants to charge me $44. The dealer and the manual says I have to leave the key in the on position for 1 hour but then after that I'm not sure what to do. The manual says to press 1 and 4 for 10 seconds but that didn't work. These instructions say to hold 2 and 3 for 10 seconds but that didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks.

http://f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513&goto=nextnewest

I also found these instructions that didn't work

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic406470.htm

pm me if you know the answer but don't want to announce it to the world. thanks
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2006
    The following procedure will give you a new code that you can use instead of your personal code. Using this new code, you can “unlock” your radio and then “re-lock” it with a new code if you wish. Prerequisites: The radio must be in LOC mode NOT in INOP mode. Let me explain. If you have activated the Theft-Deterrent feature of your radio and loose power, the radio goes into LOC (theftlock) mode. With the ignition on, you must use the MN and HR buttons to enter you personal code in order to unlock it (The instructions are on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual). If you fail to enter the correct code eight (8) times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode (go for a long drive somewhere).

Procedure:

01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds

03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.

04. Press the AM/FM button

05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.

06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05

07. Call 1 800 537 5140

08. Press 1 then # (pound). You’ll hear “Invalid Code, try again”

09. Press 139010 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by * (start)

10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star)

11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice

12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11

14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC Your radio is now “un-locked” and usable. The Theft-Deterrent feature is STILL active! If you want to disable it, use the instruction in your Owner’s manual. Use the code from STEP 11 instead of your personal code.

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2006
    Man, I am glad all I have to do is stick my Key CD in.....
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • candyliquor35m
    edited April 2006
    Cody,

That's what I tried but nothing ever displays, not loc or inop or any numbers. I left the ignition in the on position for 1 hour twice and nothing happened and I tried pressing 2 and 3 for 10 seconds the first time and 1 and 4 for 10 seconds the second time. still nothing.

Carl
  • exalted512
    edited April 2006
    scrap it and upgrade:D
    -Cody
  • candyliquor35m
    edited April 2006
    I might do that if I didn't plan on selling it soon. I may try it a couple more times and then take it to the dealer as long as they agree to not charge me if they can't get it unlocked.
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    i hate those head units, give me a normal cd player anyday
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • exalted512
    edited April 2006
    i dunno why they put that crap on there. No one is going to take the time and risk of getting caught to steal a POS factory hu...
    -Cody
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    absolutley because a factory hu isnt worth **** on the street, maybe a 700 dollar eclpise yeah
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • candyliquor35m
    edited May 2006
    This turned out to be a light bulb for the led. When I snapped off the front of the unit, I noticed a twist out miniture bulb and ordered one from a radio shop that the dealer recommended. $6 shipped. Installed the bulb and the led lit up. I followed Cody's instructions and got it unlocked. thanks.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2006
    Jesus Christ!

How ironic is that?

A crappy OEM head unit barely worth $50 and you have to go thru all that crap, but a $500 Alpine or Pioneer and all you get is a detatchable face!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2006
    Try calling the parts dept.
  • jessicanoah
    jessicanoah Posts: 2
    edited August 2008
    I bouight a radio on Ebay and it is locked I tried the steps on all the radio will say is Locked. What am I doing wrong? Help!
  • jessicanoah
    jessicanoah Posts: 2
    edited August 2008
    FYI it is out of a 2001 Monte Carlo when I press the min & Hr it says no update
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited August 2008
    FYI it is out of a 2001 Monte Carlo when I press the min & Hr it says no update

Those OEM radios communicate with the engine's computer, and require the radio's code be sent to and recognized by the ECM to operate. A dealer may hold the answer to reprogramming it, but since GM thought people would actually be stealing those factory radios :\ they've made your life difficult (for no reason).
  • candyliquor35m
    edited August 2008
    You can usually find the instructions on google or yahoo or one of the automotive help forums for your particular car. Don't give up. The unlocking takes minutes to do but the dealer will probably charge you $50-$100 to do it.

In some cases depending on the model, you have to let the car sit with the key on (not running) for 1 hour before you press the designated 2 buttons.