Question about Profile Amps

charrison
charrison Posts: 4
edited April 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey Everybody,

I'm building a new system for my Nissan Xterra. I've been thinking about putting in 2 Profile AP1040's (80Wx4). From what I've read people generally have very positive things to say about them considering their cost. The thing that concerns me is that they recommend you use 4 guage power and ground wires whereas most amps I've researched require 8 guage. Are these amps gonna suck up a lot more power from my battery/alternator than some other amp (like an Alpine for instance)? I'm just concerned b/c I'm going to have a total of 3 amps in the car and I'm don't want to have to be replacing my alternator unless absolutely necessary. Do any installers have any experience with these amps and the amount of power they draw? Thanks in advance.
Post edited by charrison on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2006
    Profile makes a very good budget amp. They make their rated power and are built well. As for drawing power, look at their fuse ratings and thatll tell you the max current they will draw. If they have a 35 amp fuse in them then thats all theyll draw.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    i dont know much abotu profile amps they look clean im just not familer with them.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited April 2006
    yeahprofyleampsaregudbutineverusedmembutheregudthingsfrompeeplethathavntreellyusedemandwhatnots
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2006
    One of those profile amps you mentioned should draw about 30 amps of current.

Two would be 60...

Add another 320 watt amp, and you're looking at a 90 amp draw. That probably isn't going to kill your car or anything.

Far as quality -- for being dirt **** cheap, profile is nice stuff. I should've used them in the cadillac... the silver woulda looked nice, but alas...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge