2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2006
    i think the specifications are wrong on the two-ohm figure... i think that it's supposed to be 480 over 4 channels at 2 ohms (120 x 4, which matches with the ~60 x 4 at 4 ohms). Therefore, you'll be getting about 73 x 4 at 4 ohms, according to the birth sheet.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited April 2006
    I called Polk and asked them about biamping the mmc6500's and was told to use only the front channel preouts. Use the left front channel preout and use a y splitter into the left channel of the amp. Do the same with the right front channel preout.

The way AB was talking about it I would be using the front and rear preouts for the 6500?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2006
    deepinya wrote:
    The way AB was talking about it I would be using the front and rear preouts for the 6500?
    Yeah.

I've never heard of doing it the way you say Polk suggested. I personally don't like using y-splitters unless necessary.

But I suppose Polk knows what they're talking about...

EDIT- I think I know why they said do it that way. It would depend on your setup and your HU. If your speakers' crossovers can't be biamped, then you would have to use the crossover in your HU. If your HU doesn't have a built-in crossover, then you'd have to use the one on your amp. If your amp doesn't have one...then you're just out of luck.

With my method, you wouldn't be able to run rear speakers since you'd already be using all of your HU's preouts. However, if you just used a y-splitter for the front-stage preouts from your HU, you'd still end up getting the same signal to your front-stage amp, but you'd also have your rear preouts available for running to an amp to power some rear speakers.

I guess that's a pretty good way to do it if you want to run rear speakers. In fact, it may be the only way.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited April 2006
    Well when I asked them about it I did mention what I was using.

Eclipse 8445
    c400.4
    mmc6500

Maybe they made the suggestion based on what I already purchased?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2006
    That 579 watts is a total output number so for a 400.4 that would be front and rear bridged at 4 ohms which is the maximum that amp can deliever which is 289.5x2. Now the 4 ohm bridged number will usually be the highest output number even more so than 2 ohms stereo.

However, dont worry too much about the power ratings. As long as you set the gains properly and use commone sense with the volume so that youre not overdriving your speakers youll be fine. Even rated at 75x4, that amp is too big for the MMC5250's but the thing is that amp isnt going to be making 75x4 all the time. Like a car engine rated at 500 horsepower, it aint making 500 horses at idle.
    As for using a Y splitter to bi-amp, thats the first time Ive ever heard that! Ive been bi-amping my speakers for a few years now and Ive always ran the tweeters off the front preeouts and the mids off the rear. This is the whole advantage of bi-amping, being able to tune and fade independantly of the mids and tweets. The only reason I can think for suggesting that is so you can run rear speakers off the head unit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    so there u go i hope they helped you out
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • kenstewart
    kenstewart Posts: 139
    edited April 2006
    Yep, helped me out so much I bought the Polks :) Thanks every1!
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    Image Dynamics CXS54 Chameleons component setup
    Two 8" Image Dynamics ID8D2v.3 subs
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    MTX MXA3002 2-channel amp for comps
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
    Stinger and Knukoncpetz wiring
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2006
    ehhh... depends what amp you're using...

I mean, if you've only got 50 x 4 ... then I'd bridge that to 200 x 2... any day of the week.

if you're at 100 x 4, then go bi amping... otherwise, i'd bridge.

anywho...

the ID's fall somewhere between the Momo and the SR series Polk... like if you'd give the SR's a 10 - and the Momo's a 5... the ID's would be like a 7.5 ...

So would I cancel the ID order? No...

Call up ID and ask specifically for Fred (he's their techie / service guy)... he'll shoot straight with you as far as how long you'll have to wait for the damn things. They may even have refurbs kicking around that they'll sell direct to you if you beg hard enough.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    well i hope you like them and i know they are great speakers.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck