It All Must Go --- Audiobahn

Options
PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited May 2006 in Garage Sale
for sale to the lowest bidder... (noting my utter disgust)...

All Equipment is first owner (bought it new, old stock -- Audiobahn hooked me up with some crazy deals in an effort to eventually compete in SQ -- well SOMEBODY couldn't get me a tweeter, I blew a cork... we all know my temper... and the rest is history).

FYI---> NO SPEAKER WIRE INCLUDED, NO ORIGINAL BOXES, NO GRILLES, NO CUTE LITTLE 'MAIL THIS CARD IN FOR WARRANTY' CARD, IF THERE WAS A SERIEL NUMBER ON THE ITEM THEN IT IS STILL ON THERE - I DID NOT KNOWINGLY REMOVE ANY SN'S, NOTHING IS BLOWN (SEE NOTE ON ONE TWEETER BELOW), NOTHING HAS BEEN ABUSED (IN MY OPINION), TECHNICALLY IT ALL WORKS FINE (SEE NOTE ON TWEETER BELOW), WANT PHOTOS? WELL I'M TOO LAZY TO DO PHOTOS OF EVERYTHING, SO BEST U'RE GETTING IS OF THE STUFF INSTALLED IN THE TRUCK... THE 3.5" ARE IN THE DASH, SO I'LL USE A "WEBSITE" PHOTO... THE SUBS ARE ISO MUNTED IN THE BOX, SO YOU ONLY SEE ONE OF EACH - THERE ARE ACTUALLY 2 OF EACH.

----
Audiobahn ACX-352 coupled 3.5" component set...
(1 tweeter damaged... noticeable at high power only, gets tinny... crossovers are not available, you'll have to make a custom set or buy them).

ASKING --> $20 or best offer

ACX352.jpg

----
Audiobahn AS-96Q -- 6x9" speakers.. 2 way.. separable (you can screw the tweeter in, or run them without as a midbass, or use them as a component set).

ASKING --> $40 or best offer

real photo in truck
DSCN0378.JPG

stock photo
as_96q.jpg

----
Audiobahn Flame Q 12" 450w rms single 4 ohm coil - Subwoofers (I have TWO of these) AW121T
ASKING --> $50 each or best offer ($80 for the pair)

real photo in truck
DSCN0384.JPG

stock photo
87712s.jpg
----
Audiobahn Flame Q 10" 450w rms single 4 ohm coil - Subwoofers (I have TWO of these also) AW102T
ASKING --> $50 each or best offer ($80 for the pair)

real photo in truck
DSCN0384.JPG

stock photo
AUDIOBAHN-AW102T.jpg

----
Crossover network to run the 3.5" coupled components and the 6x9 mids as a 3 way component set.... (it cost me about 150 to build) ...
ASKING --> $100 ... (or best offer) ($50 if you buy everything else - Initially posted as free, then I realized that i spent more on it than i had thought)

Photo coming soon...
----
Shipping = ACTUAL UPS FROM ME TO YOU ... Will ship anywhere in the world... but it's your dime to pay the shipping cost.
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    Options
    hey man you might think im nuts but ill buy it all from you. dude those audiobahns look sick with the flame job and all.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    are you sure? i'd be happy to let you have it all... the subs do sound very nice when mounted iso baric clamshell... i'm fond of them... i think you'd enjoy them.

total for everything is $220 plus actual shipping -- it's heavy dude... it's not going to be cheap to ship all this ****... give me a zip code and i can give you a ballpark ... do you want the crossover too?

let me know if you're for real on this - cuz i can have the whole deal boxed up and shipped by this coming saturday ( a week from today ).
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    my zip code is 24251 gate city virgina. and yes id love to have the crossover. well they look great its a price that cant be beat either. **** yeah ill take it. give me a mailing address and ill sen you a money order out thursday overnighted. so you get it friday sometime. also need your name and address too.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    how hard is it to mount the subs iso barric and what does iso barric mean?
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    below is a picture of an iso-clamshell... sub 1 goes INSIDE the box, wired "normally" (amp positive to sub positive ... amp negative to sub negative). SUb 2 goes outside the box, bolted to the front of sub #1... it's wired out of phase (amp negative to sub positive, amp positive to sub negative).

This lets the two subs work like one big **** sub with double the moving cone mass, double the power, and a smaller box size . it also cancels out any "odd things" that may happen with one sub... cuz no single sub is built perfectly to its specs, having two working together cancels out any abnormalities with any one sub.

isoclam.jpg

it's not hard to do... it's just annoying. you have to build the box and then mount the subs, and put the back of the box on last so that you can get inside to put the bolts and nuts through between the subs.

as far as shipping...

UPS doesn't put ground quotes on the web anymore (which sucks), but Fed Ex has it at between 80 and 100 for home delivery - with the estimated weights and measurements i put in - and that would show up in 3 to 5 days from shipment.

So --- you'd be lookin at ... $220 + 50 + 100 = $370 total worst case scenario...

I'll box it up tomorrow and then I can get you can EXACT shipping price cuz i'll have actual weights and measurements.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2006
    Options
    damn... i would've been down for the 6x9's.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    sounds good
    to me
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    FYI - i'm in Buffalo, NY (14220)
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    get me a price and if your serious and willing to work with me its sold unless u need the money right away.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    i'm more than willing to work with you - and i'm very serious -- i dont need the money right away -- i mean if you wanna mail it late this week, or next week.. or even late next week - i'm not in a big hurry dude - whatever works for you is fine for me -- i am looking for boxes as we speak -- i dont want to ship them in flimsy **** boxes because the last thing we need is for them to get smashed in shipping -- so i got two nice sturdy boxes today for subs, and a decent one for the other stuff -- still need two more cardboard boxes for subs... i'll have it boxed up tomorrow (grocery stores are great for big honkin boxes)-- its POURING **** rain today - i was gonna pull it all today and box it up but its coming down like cats and dogs out there, and i dont want anything to get wet -- i could pull the cadillac out of hte garage and do it in the garage, but the old man would go nuts if i put his car out in the rain (we get a little acid-raid here because of the steel plants still running)
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Checked with Fed Ex today, total will be a little over 370, but i quoted you 370 as he highest, so that's what we'll stick with.

My address =

Vincent F. Spinelli
    330 Downing St.
    Buffalo, NY 14220-2710

preferred payment = US Post Office Money Order (stuff ships right after i get the money order in the mail)

other accepted pahtment = personal checks or other money orders (stuff ships after the check clears at the bank).

I'll get you a tracking number immediately the day everything ships.

When you send payment, please include your address that you want everything shipped to.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I don't think I would want my addy right here in front of the whole world and God.

Might want to P.M. that info.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    sure will man tell you what i cant afford the 370 in one lump some so here is what ill do allright. ill send you 75 dollers a week or more what ever i can afford. then when the 370 is paid you can ship me the stuff. the reason ill do it this way is because im a 23 yold factory worker makin 10:50 an hour supporting a wife and kid. but if it is still a deal ill hold up my end of it, im sorry for the inconvience this may have caused, if it is a problem send me an e-mail and will work something out. lizandtyler@earthlink.net
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited April 2006
    Options
    thumpin- I hope your wife doesnt kill you :)
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    lol i dont think she will this is actually going to save me some money i was going to get a db 212-2 box and polk momo mmc for the front and rear now i just need to get one set of speaks and amps hu and eq
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2006
    Options
    so... this is a way to get her to kill you quickly, rather than slowly and painfully?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Thump, I can understand your situation, and that's fine.

Tell you what though... instead of sending me a certain amount every week, just put that much aside every week... and in 4 or 5 weeks when you have it all, send me an email and if I still haven't sold the stuff, then it's yours.

But i'm still going to try to sell it as soon as possible. i wouldn't worry too much though - nobody really wants audiobahn around here.
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    ok thanks for being understanding vince. and ill do just that allright. shouldnt take too long i hope.

as far as neo goes. shw wont kill me but i dunno sometimes.

vince what kinda power would you suggest for the speakers and subs. im partial to polk audio and arc audio.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    the the four subs...

800 x 2 @ 2 ohms. so either two amps that are 800 to 1000 x 1 at 2 ohms, or a REALLY BIG 2 channel amp that's 800 to 1000 x 2 at 2 ohms.... or 1600 to 2000 x 1 at 1 ohm mono.

If you wire them all separately... then 4 amps that are 500 x 1 @ 4 ohm will do the job as well.

Here's a Precision Power that's 1500 x 1 @ 1 ohm - just about right ... its $300 ---- 1,000 bucks off of list. http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3284

3284.jpg

4 speakers

75 x 4 @ 4 ohms will do the job.

Here's a 75 x 4 @ 4 ohm precision power - same style as the one above so they match -- its $169 bucks...700 below list. http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3287

3287.jpg
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    allright, what about a box for the subs i could probabley build one, but i dont think i could build one for the subs, at least not a good one, so what do you suggest. ne ideas are appreciated.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    ok id like to rub the subs with just one amp, Precision Power that's 1500 x 1 @ 1 ohm will this amp work good will one work or do i need more than one.
    do you have any experience with precision power, what would u compare them to. as far as sound quality, and build quality.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Sound quality won't really matter for a sub amp. But considering the power this thing will be putting out and the resistance it will be seeing, I'd say that makes the reliability even more important.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    1500 is just enough to make this set of subs sing... 1800 would be nicer, but it'll pound the crap out of you with 1500 just fine.

Precision Power is owned by DEI now (DEI = Viper, Orion, and Directed Audio) -- all the Viper, Orion, Directed Audio and Precision Power amps are basically the same guts internally and the same build quality. They're just put in different casings.

As far as build quality - I would say it is EXTREMELY GOOD.

Sound quality factors like distortion, damping factor, and slew rate are not as good as I would normally like -- but as Bliss says... SQ isn't really the most important thing for subs... I would confidently use the Precision Power amp on the subs without worrying about it. It's plenty of power and its a well built amp from a reputable company.

As far as a box goes...

You're going to want about 0.75 cubic feet for the 12's and 0.6 cubic feet for the ten's. Use 3/4" birch plywood OR 3/4" MDF with internal bracing - if you use the plywood, then you won't need bracing. The box I have them in now is about 0.75 for the 12's and 0.6 for the 10's -- made out of 3/4" birch ply with caulk to seal the boards together, screws... and then caulk along the joints... 2 inch nuts, bolts, and lock washers hold the pairs of subs together, with foam weatherstrip insulation used as a "mounting gasket" to prevent air leaks between each sub's mounting ring and the box face. a rough drawing of what i'm talking about is attached.

When you mount the subs in ISO clamshell, you have to cut the box size in half... normally, for the ultimate transient response you'll use about a 1.0 - 1.2 cubic foot box for the 10's and a 1.5 cubic foot box for the 12's... So... cut that in half, that's 0.6 for the 10's and 0.75 for the 12's... now, because they're mounted iso-chamshell, you can dump gobs of power on them, still get that great transient response, and have all those nasty non-linearities cancel out. It's a great mounting method... it's just a total pain in the balls to get them in there just right. When I first mounted the 10's,the surrounds were so stiff that they weren't flexing the same way they would once they're broken in... the result was a light rubbing between the two surrounds... about an once and a half of axle grease (90w-140 which is about as close to tar is you're gonna get) left to soak into the surrounds over right really made them nice and pliable.... you can do that with a cloth, foam, or foam rubber surround, dont' even think about it with a butyl rubber one -- it wont soak up anything. Soon as i fired them up -- nice smooth motion, no issues. That's the other thing, anything less than 3/4 of an inch and the smidge you get from the gasket material will not be enough to keep the surrounds from contact... make sure you keep them separated or you'll have issues with it.

Of course if you're going to mount these normal, then none of this is a problem, you can jsut have a regular sub box built... I'd go with sealed... separate chambers... 0.75 for the 10's each... and 1 cube fr the 12's each... that'll give you a little less transient awesomeness, but you'll still be able to pound on them without issues...

I would sell you the box with the subs already mounted in it -- there's nothing wrong with it -- but then I'd have to ship all 4 subs and the box as 1 big package that weighs like 100 pounds. That would cost a fortune.... anything over 70 pounds, UPS and Fed Ex charge out the **** for ... And if I open up the box to ship you the subs separate and then the box separate, you'll have a hell of a time getting the back on again properly -- the back is both glued and screwed down... it's going to break into pieces when I pull it apart... you'll never get it seal properly again.
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    ok the iso method sounds great but im not sure im up to that task just yet. maybe down the road. so they will probably be mounted normal, will a car audio shop build a box for me or do i have to build one, if i have to build one itll take a a good bit of time?.

also with them mounted normal, can i still use one amp on all four of them, or will i need four amps? i just dont wanna **** up anything, and make it too complicated. i most likely wont be doing the install i dont think im ready yet so im going to have either cc do it or stereo joes, which is a indepent car audio store.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    i love the way the baskets look on the subs, but ill never see that in the box though and thats a shame.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    You can mount them all inverted (backwards like that) -- just switch the + and - speaker wires...

anyway - ya the same amp will work fine for "normal" mounting as well.

far as a box -- anybody can make one dude -- you can make it yourself or you can pay some turkey at circuit city 60 bucks an hour tomake one... fer that kinda money you're better off building it yourself.
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    oh ok that would be awesome to have them inverted like that cause i love the way the baskets look on them, not to mention its not something ive seen alot of, so if i run them inverted, wire them out of phase? also i might sound dum but how do i wire up four subs on a mono block amp, and i noticed that the amp is a one ohm amp wont that kill the subs. i thought the ohm rating on the amp had to match the ohm rating on the speakers or subs?

also what would i need to build a box, whats a good way to seal a box? and
    what was meant by clearences? how do i measure that ive just never built one, and i dont wanna mess it up u understand.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    amps to subs

the ohm rating on the subs (as a total) must match the ohm rating on the amp -- four 4 ohm subs, wired in parallel (which means all the " + " wires tied together and all the " - " wires tied together) equals a single 1 ohm load. 4 divided by 4 = 1. if it was just two 4 ohm subs, then it would be a 2 ohm rating... 4 divided by 2 is 2... so what you're actually looking for, to wire up all 4 of those subs, is an amp that runs at 1 ohm.

out of phase
    yes, if you mount a sub inverted, then you have to wire it out of phase.

materials to build a box.

3/4 inch MDF (medium density fiberboard) or 3/4 inch cabinet grade birch plywood (better than MDF).

2 inch long drywall screws.

100% silicon caulking.

wood glue (also called carpenter's glue - usually yellow or maroon in color).

1/4 or 3/8 inch adhesive foam weatherstripping (to use for gasket material)

... a drill, power screwdriver (or screwdriver bits for a drill), a jig saw, various rulers, a compass to trace the woofer mounting holes, decent tape measure, and some patience.

how to measure...

for a square box... length x width x height = volume. but you have to subtract the thickness of the wood.

So... a box made of 3/4" material... with a 3/4" divider wall between each sub, with the subs mounted inverted...

15.5" high... x 5" deep on top... 11" deep on bottom ... x 52.5" long.

That'll give you a total of 2.7 cubic feet airspace for subs... that's 0.6 for each 10 and 0.75 for each 12.

if the two 10's are on the outside and the two 12's in the middle.... then the first wall should be 12.15" from the edge of the box. The second wall should be dead in the middle... the last wall ahould be 12.15" from the other edge of the box. again, this will give the speakers in the middle - the two 12's - 0.75 of air space... and the speakers on the ends, the 10's, 0.6 of air space.

That's a damn big box though... you'll probably want to think of something more suited to your vehicle.
  • 98thumpin
    edited April 2006
    Options
    yeah that does sound like a big damn box, so i was thinking and i thought about what if i mounted the two tens iso, and the two twelves inverted. would that work, to save space, i have a decent sized trunk its a crown victoria.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    there's a lotta stuff you can do... personally, if i had a crown vic... i'd be doing some wicked crazy box making... and build an amp rack into the box(es) and light it all up with neon, just trick it all out.