SDA lover

Options
cwymanj
cwymanj Posts: 13
edited April 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I had a pair of SDA SRS back in the late 80s and let them go to a friend
who was never supposed to sell them to anyone but back tome.(You can guess how that went) I live in Greenville SC and am looking for a pair of
SDAs and piecing together a budget but decent system.
What do you guys think of Aragon amplifiers(I am looking at a model 2002)?
I think the models I would be interested in are SDA-1 and SDA 3.1TL.
Opinions please.
Post edited by cwymanj on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk! There are a lot of SDA lovers here so you are in good company:D Keep you eyes on the Flea Market because the SDA-1's come available frequently. There was a pair of 3.1's up for sale just a couple of weeks ago. Be patient, check out the Flea Market and eBay.

I don't have any experience with the Aragon but there are a lot of good amps that will drive the SDA's. Just be sure to buy an amp with a common ground. SDA's do not like no common ground amps and could damage the amp. There is a special interconnect for certain SDA's that will aloow you to use the non common ground amp. Search this Forum and you'll find a lot of discussion threads on this subject. Welcome to Club Polk!
    Carl

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Welcome to CP. Aragon and Sda's make quite a budget system. Aragon is good stuff make sure to mate it with a competent pre-amp and source and you'll be delighted.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Here are a pair of SDA1-C's on the Flea Market http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39337

Carl
    Carl

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    also check your local Craigslist.org for other possible SDA's.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Toka78
    Toka78 Posts: 192
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I have to second craigslist.org...snagged myself a mint pair of first generation SDA 2's for $100 barely a month ago. :D
  • gammajo
    gammajo Posts: 43
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I have run my 2.3 SDA's with Aragon 8008BB amp and 28K preamp for many years and have loved the combination. The folks at Aragon (866) 781-7284 are wonderful and the equipment built proof.
    gammajo
  • hedcase10x
    hedcase10x Posts: 1
    edited April 2006
    Options
    cwymanj wrote:
    I had a pair of SDA SRS back in the late 80s and let them go to a friend
    who was never supposed to sell them to anyone but back tome.(You can guess how that went) I live in Greenville SC and am looking for a pair of
    SDAs and piecing together a budget but decent system.
    What do you guys think of Aragon amplifiers(I am looking at a model 2002)?
    I think the models I would be interested in are SDA-1 and SDA 3.1TL.
    Opinions please.
    I've got a used but in very good playing condition that I no longer use...the cabinets are good but the cloth on the grill could use replacement...but thats actually easy. Let me know if you are interested and what you might want to pay for a set...i also have the interconnect cable....these sound great but when i moved to california from baltimore...they are just too big for the houses out here...so i bought a new system of polk speakers to put on the wall instead...let me know.
    john
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Located in Ca.---correct? :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)