Proper wiring method for sub/amp configuration?

NighthawkSE01
NighthawkSE01 Posts: 10
edited April 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello everyone, been looking for some straight answers at a few different communities I frequent, however so far that has proven to be difficult. Being Polk's official forum, I thought this would be the best place to end my search.

I am going to be setting up a system in my Integra pretty soon here, and was looking to get some information straight. I'll be using two 12" Alpine Type R subs (SWR-1222D). As you can see by the model number, these are dual voice coil, 2 ohms for each coil. To power these subs, I think I am going to go for a Polk Audio C500.1 monoblock amp.

Now for the main guts of my post! The amp puts out 500W RMS at 2 ohms, and the subs run at 500W RMS each. So far, I plan to wire the subs in series/parallel, so with the two specified subs wired in this way, the amp will have a 2 ohm load. Correct?

Series/parallel:
2_2ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

With the wiring method provided above, both subs are at 2 ohms. With the amp putting out 500W RMS at 2 ohms, with the wiring method mentioned above, will both subs each be running at 500W RMS? Must I get a more powerful amp to have boths subs putting out 500W RMS each? If this is the case, what would you suggest for my intended setup?

Thank you in advance for any replies, I really hope someone can point me in the right direction here.
"The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others." -Friedrich Nietzsche
Post edited by NighthawkSE01 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2006
    Theyll be getting 250 each...the 500 divided up into 2 subs. Do you have a price range you want to stay in as far as us suggesting amps go? One amp or two? Brand preference?

If you want to stay with polk, you could get 2 C300.2s and power one sub off each amp
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • NighthawkSE01
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the quick response!

For price, I was looking for something around the price of the C500.1, however for the output I'm looking for I must obviously go higher.

I would prefer to use one amp than two if possible; would two be a better idea as far as cost for my desired output, or reliability? As for brand preference there really isn't one, I'm looking for something quality of course, which is what brought me to Polk.

You suggested two C300.2s instead of two C500.1s, I am just curious what the reasoning behind that would be? Wouldn't it be a better idea to get two monoblock amps for my two subs?

In the end however it would seem that I would need an amp with 1000W RMS at 2 ohms to get both of my subs putting out 500W RMS, correct? Again, thanks for the info, I hope to get this ironed out soon.

Edit: I found this amp, an Alpine MRD-M1005 monoblock, does anything know if this would work for me? It is rated at 1000W x 1 RMS (2ohm, 14.4V, 1% THD+N). What's the difference in setup between 14.4V and 12V?
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited March 2006
    According to Polks site

300.2 will put out 450x1 @ 4 ohms
    500.1 will put out 500x1 @ 2 ohms or 350x1 @ 4 ohms

Id personally get 2 x 300.2 running @ 4 ohms rather than 2 x 500.1 @ 2 ohms. Less strain all around.

I have no idea about that Alpine but 14.4v is assuming your car is running and 12v is when its off. Obviously more power to the AMP will mean more watts coming out.

Im sure somebody will come along to correct me if Im mistaken.
  • NighthawkSE01
    edited March 2006
    Ahh, the 12V and 14.4V thing sounds familiar, I think you are correct with that one.

As for strain, is it not really a good idea to have an amp constantly running at 2 ohms? Are there reliability issues with the amp or my battery that could cause me to run into problems in the future? Thanks for the response.

Just for note, this is a purely leisure setup and will only be running when I'm driving my vehicle. I don't plan on having this pound when my car isn't running, nor will it every be pushed to the max, as if I was competing with someone.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    Dont worry too much about the voltage ratings on high end amps like Alpine or Polk. Theyre going to exceed their ratings anyway so just use them as a guage to know what amps match up with what speakers.

If you want 500 watts to both subs, youll have to get a 1000 watt amp and if you can afford that Alpine, jump on it. Alpine are among my alltime favorite amps (although this years crops are pretty ugly).
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • NighthawkSE01
    edited March 2006
    Alright, everything has been decided. If I do buy the setup, this is what I'll be getting:

Two 500W RMS 12" 2 ohm Alpine Type R subwoofers (SWR-1222D)
    One 1000W RMS 2 ohm Alpine monoblock amplifier (MRD-M1005)

Everything is brand new, in the box. I would be getting this from the US, I live in Canada. After I include currency conversion, shipping, duties, and taxes, the price I would be paying is about $860CDN. Sound like a good deal?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    Cant go wrong with Alpine!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2006
    Earthquake 1000 x 1 @ 2 ohm mono -- http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/4606
    $249

PPI DCX1500.1 (1000 x 1 @ 2 ohms...1500 x 1 at 1 ohm) --
    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3284
    $299
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge