Subs in our 2ch rigs

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I don't want this to turn into a forum fight (I know some of you hate subs for 2ch) but was just wondering if you guys run a line level from the pre to your subs for 2ch?

I've been doing this for a long time and just recently tried using speaker cables running in parallel at the amp's output terminals. So one set goes to the speakers and the other to the sub. I noticed that this set up allowed my sub to blend in better with the mains. Anybody try this? Not sure if it's because the sub is picking up the amp's sound signature instead of just the pre or it's a phase thing between the sub and mains.
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    Options
    So you're sending an amplified signal to your sub? I obviously have no idea, but that just doesn't sound good.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • organ
    edited March 2006
    Options
    All powered subs accept this. It just takes a tiny amount of current which gets sent to the sub's internal amp. A standard connection for every subwoofer. The voltage levels on both runs are the same but very little current travels on the sub's cable.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I'm running the my SVS on the second output of my DLC. With some patience, a spreadsheet, port plugs, and SPL meter, I've got it blended quite well. I'm flat between about 100hz and 60hz with about a 4-6dB rise from 60 down to 25hz. What more can you ask for?

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Not getting into the debate of the benefits of using sub(s) in any system, I initially ran mine with the speaker level connection. Then I tried using the plate amp line level connections, preamp to sub then to amp.

When I purchased my Dynaudio speakers, I decided to try using a dbx 120x which has a line level active crossover plus other bass features I do not currently use. Inserting an active crossover was a significant improvement over any of the above connection methods. I am only dissappointed in the fact I did not use this sooner as I have had this component for a very long time.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Hi Organ,
    I used to run My RT16's and PSW150 the same way. At first I ran an RCA from my sub out on my old receiver, then I switched to parallel runs of speaker cables and there was an immediate increase in sub quality and integration.

There is nothing wrong with running the sub this way. As long as you have an active sub, it will not hurt the amp in any way or effect it's impedence.
    Venom
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Yes. I've never had blending problems with any speakers.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I've heard that some people like the sound better when run that way. I ran mine (when I had one) line level from my looping pre-outs on my Parasound amp.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited March 2006
    Options
    On my 2 ch setup using a Rotel RC-1090 pre and RB-1092 amp, I am running a pair of LFE from my pre (2nd outs) to my sub (but not looping back to my amp). My mains are B&W 804 & sub is B&W ASW800. My subs internal Xover is set at 50 Hz.
    [
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2006
    Options
    at this point I have not had to, but I wouldn't hesitate..
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I've always used the second set of pre-outs for this duty. You get it blended right and you're good to go. With full range floor standing speakers all you're doing is augmenting the deepest lows. I listen sometimes with and sometimes without the sub. It depends on what I'm listening to, at what level and just plain what kinda mood I'm in. That's the one thing about it.... you can turn it up and down, on or off. Amazing thing. Modern technology that is.
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    OK, I think some of you misunderstood my post or I didn't make it clear.

I didn't mean, sub to main blending. I meant the 'tone' of the sub and mains. I've never had a problem blending in the mains and sub but there were times when I was able to tell the sub's sound signature was completely different than the mains when running line level. With speaker wires, their tonal characteristic had a better match.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2006
    Options
    At the risk of asking a dumb question, here goes -- if you have a tube amp that has 4 ohm and 8 ohm speaker terminals, can you connect your 8 ohm speakers and run speaker cables from a passive sub to the 4 ohm terminals?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Never use more than one tap on a tube amp's outputs.

NEVER.

Here Here for the Polk hookup method Maurice. They've touted speaker (high) level connections for years. Me? I'm still an unbalanced RCA fan, but have NO issues integrating a sub (though I haven't always felt that way from a purist standpoint) - it just takes a little effort, and can make for a very satisfying listening experience.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited April 2006
    Options
    organ wrote:
    OK, I think some of you misunderstood my post or I didn't make it clear.

I didn't mean, sub to main blending. I meant the 'tone' of the sub and mains. I've never had a problem blending in the mains and sub but there were times when I was able to tell the sub's sound signature was completely different than the mains when running line level. With speaker wires, their tonal characteristic had a better match.

Maybe, maybe not.

When I can hear the sub, it's usually because I forgot to turn it back down after a movie. I think the gain makes a huge difference.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I stick to the second set of unbalanced preouts on my pre. I tried the high level route once but found it to be messy (tons of extra wire) and a PITA in general. I didn't really notice a big enough difference so I decided to go the cleaner way and went back to the preouts.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I just retired the Paradigm towers and went with Snell bookshelf speakers and a 10" sealed Kef sub. I'm using the rca pre outs to the sub and back into the power amp. I'm able to get a very good blend on this setup.
    The weakest part of the Snells was low end. They drop off quickly at 65 hz.
    The crossover at the sub is set for 80 hz.
    I tried the sub with the Paradigm 11se and could never get it to blend.
    The Paradigm's really didn't really need the sub either.
    I'll never get the concert level volumes that the old setup could reach, but for
    general listening, especially vocals, this setup is much better.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson