FS: Sony TAP9000ES 5.1 Analog Preamp/Switcher

Options
Whadyasay
Whadyasay Posts: 300
edited March 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Gone
Polk LSi9 Mains, Polk LSIC Center, Polk RT25i Surrounds, Polk M3II Rear Surround, SVS PB10-ISD Sub, Denon AVR 2809 (as digital pre/pro only), Sony BDP-S350, Oppo DV-981HD, Cambridge Audio Azur 540C (CD), Marantz MM9000 5-ch amp, Outlaw ICBM, Panasonic th-42PX85u HDTV, Behringer BFD Pro, Monster Power HTS 2600 Conditioner
Post edited by Whadyasay on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Where are you located?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Whadyasay
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Edit
    Polk LSi9 Mains, Polk LSIC Center, Polk RT25i Surrounds, Polk M3II Rear Surround, SVS PB10-ISD Sub, Denon AVR 2809 (as digital pre/pro only), Sony BDP-S350, Oppo DV-981HD, Cambridge Audio Azur 540C (CD), Marantz MM9000 5-ch amp, Outlaw ICBM, Panasonic th-42PX85u HDTV, Behringer BFD Pro, Monster Power HTS 2600 Conditioner
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I think I'll pass (more pressing priorities), but thanks!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Whadyasay
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Gone.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2006
    Options
    You were way overpriced, but it's sold, so thats all that matters I guess.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I sold one on Ebay abot a year ago for $900.00. The things are hard to find and a great value at that price.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Now that it's sold, I'm quessing we can talk about it. I've never heard of Sony ES product actually gaining value.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited March 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    I've never heard of Sony ES product actually gaining value.

got that right.
    I need one of those books.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • warlocks1
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I never said it was worth the price, but it an outstanding preamp. If you have a high end processor and want DVD-Audio and SACD capabilities, I dont think there is any other choice. I had it hooked up with my Lexion MC1 and the sound was unbelievable for multi channel audio. IIt sounded way better than the MC1 in direct mode for all you 2 channel enthusiast. It has 2 seperate 5.1 inputs as well as a bypass and stereo mode. I am not aware of any other add on processer available that can do that. It received great reviews and it relatively rare. I don't know of any current processors or recievers that offer two 5.1 inputs. I sold mine because I couldn't refuse the price the market was bearing for it. I do miss it, but it was instrumental in my purchase of a plasma TV. If I found a really good deal on one, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I was looking for one back in 2002, specifically for the two 5.1 input hook-up, during the day before Universal players become abundant. The other option is a McCormack switcher (I think) at twice the price, or Radio Shack jerry rig switcher (courtesy of Shack) that I ended up using, it works!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • DiscoMike
    DiscoMike Posts: 114
    edited March 2006
    Options
    For those who know about the Sony 9000 Preamp line - this preamp was developed and designed to be used primarly with the Sony TAE9000-ES Preamp. This preamp was designed for analogue 5.1 channel surround, which the TAE-9000 did not have that capability, only 5.1 digital in coax or fibre optic. Those who have used these preamp add-ons with their 9000 digital gear have raved about it, that is why their is a high resale value on this.

The TAE-9000 ES preamp was the last preamp Sony has made. This preamp was designed so well that it was pitted against the high end Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, and even Sonys new digital Receivers. The winner - the Sony Preamp. They would win it hands down despite the receivers having the newer surround modes and processing chips. The Sony Preamp would edge over the receivers based on clarity and spacialness. People have petitioned that Sony come out with another preamp to supercede this great preamp with 7.1 surround modes. Sony has unfortunately not given in to this potential market.
  • DiscoMike
    edited March 2006
    Options
    warlocks1 wrote:
    I don't know of any current processors or recievers that offer two 5.1 inputs.
    I do - but not in the Sony Price Range.

The Lexicon Preamp-Processor Series. They offer not one, but two 5.1 analogue inputs. The MC-12 and 8 do. I dont know about the MC-4 though. These are multi $$$$ units, whereas the Sony TAE-9000 ES Processor was the most expensive and most ambitious Preamp-Processor they ever built. Even if you add the list price of the TAE and TAP-9000 ES units, they would come out to less than half the list price the MC-8 is. :eek: Unfortunately, they do not make preamp-processors/power amps anymore. They took a step back, like the rest of the audio world - they make only receivers now.:(
  • DiscoMike
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Here is someone selling the TA-P9000 on audiogon. Check out the asking price. Makes this one look like a bargain.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1147910687
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited March 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Now that it's sold, I'm quessing we can talk about it.

I've never heard of Sony ES product actually gaining value.

Not exactly sold yet....I think he just took it over to the Bay
  • Whadyasay
    edited March 2006
    Options
    The high bidder on that auction contacted me and was about to use BUY IT NOW, was asking about delivery, but someone bid the reserve price right then, so he's going with the auction. That's when I took it off here, but then now I have to wait for the auction to end...I didn't thik that my reserve would have been met so quickly. Either way, I'm obligated to sell it right now.

Again...I truly apologize if I offended anyone with my asking price...I was simply going by the prices I had seen them for over the past few years, including what I bought it for. I did my research before posting, and found no evidence of private sales lower than what I asked...but it was clear that it was getting even harder to find, and I wasn't trying to work the market anymore than what was fair. Here's another recent auction, which was also my final asking price including shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5856836058&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The only other all-analog 5.1 preamp that I can think of is the Audio Refinement Pre-5 (http://www.uptownaudio.com/audior/AR-separates.htm), which I was also looking into a few years back. I'm only selling this because I'm looking to get a more high-end pre-pro with a good analog section so that I can cut down on my gear clutter. I have never screwed anyone on a purchase, and I would happily adjust my asking price if it was clearly proven that I was mistaken....but the above ebay and audiogon examples seem to support my approach. But anyway, I appreciate the feedback on this and want to piont out that if I was mistaken in asking too much...it was only that, an honest mistake....even though there was no mistake. I would hope that I would be given that benefit of the doubt, as I'm not trying to hide anything. Thanks to everyone for their understanding, and I hope that this won't affect any futre calssifieds that I might be a part of. Cheers.

WYS
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    Options
    DiscoMike wrote:
    Here is someone selling the TA-P9000 on audiogon. Check out the asking price. Makes this one look like a bargain.

Another one just sold on Audiogon, 24 hours prior...for $400 @ 9/10. It actually had a SOLD flag, where the Sale Pending flag doesn't mean shite.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • warlocks1
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Don't apologize. You are allowed to ask whatever you want on this forum. People only commented after they thought the unit was sold. I think you will see the auction go pretty high. Good Luck!
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    Options
    The resale game is always based on who's willing to pay the most....looks like you lucked out. Good luck in the auction.
  • Whadyasay
    edited March 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Another one just sold on Audiogon, 24 hours prior...for $400 @ 9/10. It actually had a SOLD flag, where the Sale Pending flag doesn't mean shite.

Do you have a link for that one?

I looked for the past week and only found one Audiogon ad for the TA-P9000ES...which was this one...

What does that red lettering by the price mean? :p

A TA-E9000ES did sell for around $400, and this one is going for $550 obo with a Marantz univ remote:
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1147807225
    warlocks1 wrote:
    Don't apologize. You are allowed to ask whatever you want on this forum. People only commented after they thought the unit was sold. I think you will see the auction go pretty high. Good Luck!

Thanks. I know that we're all trying to be friendly and fair. I just didn't expect to see this kind of debate on it....and for a little while there, I really did think that I missed something and was off my rocker, until I got a lot of responses for outright offers in my price range, then went bacxk and researched the same results. Then the whole ebay thing took off, and I had to apologize to the person who agreed to buy it straight-up while I could still legally take it off of eBay. My guess is that it'll probably end up selling for what I was looking for, but it DOES matter to me if I've caused some strife here in this forum (which I hope I didn't), because that's not what I do.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    Options
    The link has been removed since it was marked SOLD....and it was from this week. If you looked you must have not looked to hard because it was listed directly above the other one for sale.

In addition, you hopefully recall that exact listing since your last PM to me referenced that very same listing....I learned alot about you recently, more than you may think.

Do you think you're the only one I spoke with about this?

Anyways... Happy Listening! I wish you luck in your travels and further audio pursuits.

EDIT: That's a negative, the other listing was for a TA-P.
  • Whadyasay
    edited March 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    The link has been removed since it was marked SOLD....and it was from this week. If you looked you must have not looked to hard because it was listed directly above the other one for sale. Do you think you're the only one I spoke with about this?

Happy Listening!

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatran&1148019250

That was the TA-E9000ES, right? It went for $414. Different preamp than mine...but yes, it was listed in the same category. There were no other TA-P9000ES's.
  • Whadyasay
    edited March 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    In addition, you hopefully recall that exact listing since your last PM to me referenced that very same listing....I learned alot about you recently, more than you may think.

You mean this one?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dorokusai
    That's cool, and I appreciate your effort. I think you are confusing your pre-amp with the TA-E9000ES which is a totally different animal....and definetly falls into the 700+ area block quite often.

My response:
    For what it's worth, here's another example of a recent sale of one (TA-P9000ES).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5856836058&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

That was what was in my last PM to you, and that to me looks like an eBay auction at $650, and not an Audiogon listing for $400.
    dorokusai wrote:
    EDIT: That's a negative, the other listing was for a TA-P.

Do you have a link to the expired sale....like the expired TA-E9000ES that I provided above, which was the same one you sent me saying that it was going for $414, when it was a TA-E all along?

I'm just not getting what your saying here....what have you learned about me? I'm totally confused...where did I mess up? I have provided two other existing listings showing a TA-P9000ES going for around what I was asking. Man....can someone just delete this thread?
  • DiscoMike
    edited March 2006
    Options
    TA-E9000 ES is a DIGITAL preamp (Sonys 3rd and final digital preamp) which handles multiple IOs: optical, coax, analogue stereo, and (S)Video. No component video unfortunately.

The TA-P 9000ES is an Analogue companion unit for the TA-E that could be used in tandem with the E9000 ES which supports 5.1 analogue inputs from your DVD Player. It was built to address the lack of 5.1 analogue inputs which the TA-E does not support. If you had/have the TA-E9000 ES Preamp, or any other preamp that has 5.1 outputs, or you wish to use the 5.1 analogue outputs of your DVD Player without having to replace your preamp, you can hook both into the TA-P and use the DVD and Preamp in tandem.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I've said everything I feel is neccesary at this time. Don't worry about it, we can't always agree in this place....good luck and thanks for being a contributing member of Club Polk.

DiscoMike - I'm well aware of the differences, regarding vintage/current Sony ES, so is Whadyasay....although I'm sure others appreciate the additonal remarks.
  • Whadyasay
    edited March 2006
    Options
    DiscoMike wrote:
    TA-E9000 ES is a DIGITAL preamp (Sonys 3rd and final digital preamp) which handles multiple IOs: optical, coax, analogue stereo, and (S)Video. No component video unfortunately.

The TA-P 9000ES was a companion unit that could be used in tandem with the E9000 ES which supported 5.1 analogue inputs from your DVD Player. It was built to address the lack of 5.1 analogue inputs which the TA-E did not support. If you had/have the TA-E9000 ES Preamp, or any other preamp that has 5.1 outputs, or you wish to use the 5.1 analogue outputs of your DVD Player without having to replace your preamp, you can hook both into the TA-P and use the DVD and Preamp in tandem.

Exactly! That what I was using the TA-P for...5.1 SACD/DVD-A and CD analog playback, linked up through bypass switching with my Denon receiver (used for DD/DTS movies), and both hooked up to a 5-channel power amp. I realized that some folks didn't quite know about the TA-P and how sought-after it was, but those who did would be the ones interested.
    dorokusai wrote:
    I've said everything I feel is neccesary at this time. Don't worry about it, we can't always agree in this place....good luck and thanks for being a contributing member of Club Polk.

Cool...just didn't want to offend anyone. Never had this happen to me....but as long as no-one feels that I screwed anyone, I'm all good.
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Whadyasay wrote:
    Cool...just didn't want to offend anyone. Never had this happen to me....but as long as no-one feels that I screwed anyone, I'm all good.

If I were you, I wouldn't exactly lose any sleep over it.
  • DiscoMike
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Whadyasay wrote:
    Exactly! That what I was using the TA-P for...5.1 SACD/DVD-A and CD analog playback, linked up through bypass switching with my Denon receiver (used for DD/DTS movies), and both hooked up to a 5-channel power amp.

I should have also mentioned in my previous post, that you are using the TA-P exactly as it was intended. Anyone who owns either the TA-P or the TA-E, knows about the others existence and how one compliments the other.
  • DiscoMike
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Whadyasay wrote:
    Exactly! That what I was using the TA-P for...5.1 SACD/DVD-A and CD analog playback, linked up through bypass switching with my Denon receiver (used for DD/DTS movies), and both hooked up to a 5-channel power amp.

I should have also mentioned in my previous post, that you are using the TA-P exactly as it was intended. Anyone who owns either the TA-P or the TA-E, knows about the others existence and how one component compliments the other.
  • Whadyasay
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Yeah...I'm actually a bit sorry to let it go, since it sounds so good. But I'm re-configuring my entertainment center...and I have just too much stuff that won't quite fit in some new equipment stands/racks that I'm looking at, as well as looking into getting a higher-quality digital and analogue pre-pro in one....something along the lines of an Anthem/Parasound/Rotel/Sunfire or something.
  • DiscoMike
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I feel your pain as I too will have a hard time letting go the TA-E9000 for a higher processor when that time comes. I know that this gear is a great peice of audio. Based on that judgement, and without hearing the TA-P, I am sure it is equally as well a great peice of audio gear that stands above many other components out there. Their is a forum that exists that has flagship receivers from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, the Sony Receivers, and the TA-E9000 ES Preamp (the TA-P is discussed in the same forum, but does not have a seperate forum for itself, since it is more of an add-on than a stand-alone product). Like this forum, users can talk about their gear, ask for help if problems arrises, or even sell their gear if they want. Out of all the forums, the TA-E seems to be the most discussed, has the most members, has praised over the receiver counterparts, and has talked with Sony members about coming out with a new Preamp to supercede the TA-E. Unfortunately, those talks fall on deaf ears at Sony. If they were to come out with another preamp with up-to-date surround modes and the newer video IO ports, I and many others would be standing in line to get one. Its really ashame that Sony discontinued this line of high-end seperate products.

If I werent planning on replacing my E9000, I would probably go for the P9000 from you if it were available. But I am seriously considering going Anthem Statement later this year, if they either come out or upgrade the D1's visual IO to include DMI and/or 10/12 Bit HDMI IO.

You may want to give the Lexicon Preamps a serious listen as well.