2000 Accord

fatchowmein
fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Me and the wife are looking at purchasing a new vehicle for her in 12 months to replace mine. I get her 2000 Accord so I'm thinking about upgrading the stereo/speaker system. Fry's has the db690 for $127 and DB650 for $84. The head unit is a factory default am/fm/cd player. Not sure what model it is but will it be strong enough to power the Polks? Will replace speakers first and receiver last.

There are no kick panels but I do see what looks like a tweeter (?) at the bottom of the windshield. Can I do anything with this?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. I'm not into loud, boomy music but I would appreciate clear, clean music since I'm on the road two hours a day. The goal is to upgrade with equipment out of sight. Boomy music and decals tend to attrach attention and either the audio equipment ends up walking one night or the entire Honda disappears (we live in an apt). :eek:
Post edited by fatchowmein on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited March 2006
    I have a 2001 accord, and I can promise you that you will benefit not only from replacing the deck, but also adding an amp into the mix.

I would highly recommend putting component tweets up at the dash because if you get a coax, or mount components in a coax fashion in the door panel, I find that i'm losing a lot of the front stage. I rest my left leg up against the door, so I'm constantly blocking the sound from that speaker.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    Brett is right, that speaker is a tweeter. You can get the DB6500 component system and stick that tweeter in place of your factory unit.

Then later on you can upgrade to an amp for even better sound.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited March 2006
    id get the component speakers, either db's or mmc's they are worth it. and maybe an amp such as this one. for youe speakers itll be great.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited March 2006
    Sweeeet!

Wife gets a new car and I get new speakers. I'm in heaven.

How hard is it to install the db6500 on an Accord? Should I get professional help or order from Crutchfield since they're so supportive with mounting brackets and detailed instructions?

I know. Loaded question since you all don't know any about my technical abilities. This would be the first car installation job for me beyond dropping in a couple of 6x9 in the rear on a car in college.

thx
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    I would say you can do it. If this is your first time, it's not a bad idea to buy from Crutchfield so you can get more instructions and access to their tech-support. But then again, Club Polk is a pretty good resource, too, and Cody (exalted512) is a professional installer (:D), so he ought to be able to help you with any problems along the way.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited March 2006
    good lookk with the system man.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • brettw22
    edited March 2006
    I know for the SR's that I put in my car, they had to cut metal to get the speakers to fit properly, and I know that I wouldn't have been chomping at the bit to cut holes in the car.

It's up to your and your comfort factor. that will determine if you feel you can do it.

If you do end up getting an amp, HERE'S the thread that I started showing some pictures of where they installed the amp in my car. It also details some irritations I went through in paying Tweeter to do the install.

In the rear deck, you can put a 6.5" speaker in the back. The SR's come with a baffle that they fit in, but I'm not sure about the mmc's or db's. Check with Polk CS or someone here can answer that question.
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Do it yourself. Its not nearly as hard as people think and youll enjoy your system that much more knowing youre the one that did all the work.

Now it can get complicated in the newer model cars with all their stupid computers and crap that make it nearly impossible but thats not the case here. You may not even have to cut anything. Simply fabricating a spacer can make a big difference.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brettw22
    edited March 2006
    If he wants stealth, he's going to have to cut metal on the front door panels.

Past that, I think the only thing I'd have wanted help with was splicing in the wiring harness for the deck.
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    You shouldnt have to splic into the cars wiring harness. You should be able to get an adapter that you simply plug into the car harness then you splice into the aftermarket head units wires, but thats easy since theyre color coded and youve got a manual telling you what is what.