Install questions

howie777
howie777 Posts: 357
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
First, some info. I have a 2005 Altima with Bose. I have replaced the HU with an Alpine 9831 that I had in my old car. I also have a C400.4 in my closet. I am having a hard time decided what speakers to get. I really shouldn't spend too much as I need to get myself a house this fall and need to save up some money (but I love my toys so much!). I am only looking for a pair up front, all other speakers will just not be used. I may add a sub later, but I play paintball and I need all of my trunk space for gear.

Option 1) DB6500's. If I go this route, what else do I need to ensure they sound good? Baffle? Damping on the door (not going full car, at least not now). Only speakers that polk/crutchfield says fits up front (component sets) I'm really worried about the tweeters being way to harsh as some say they are. That would be cause to put the bose back in for me. But I think I should be able to adjust my amp/HU to take care of any of that.

Option 2) MMC6500's I really worried these won't fit. They seem to have huge baskets and Crutchfield and polk say they don't fit up front. It also seems that the mounting holes won't line up and I'll need an adapter which I can use as a spacer if needed. It would be nice to know why they don't fit according to crutchfield/polk so I can see if I can make em fit with minimal work (ie, they need 1/4" spacer, or you need to cut the door panel). Also, do I need baffle and/or damping. How much sound quality would I lose if I mounted them in the rear deck and none up front? Polk/Crutchfield say they fit back there.

Option 3) SR 6500's. High cost, but everyone seems to love em. Same problem with the MMC6500's, everyone says they don't fit (or they don't list them as fitting but they seem to be smaller than the MMC6500's so maybe they do. Do I need baffle and/or damping to make em worth it?

When I ask about baffle/damping. I know they will sound better (not sure about baffles though) but I'm asking more of is it worth getting if I'm not going to use damping at all due to cost. Also, if I set them up as coaxials will they degrade enough to warrent just getting the coaxial models and saving on the cost of the speakers? I have airbags in my A-pillers so I'm nervious about mounting tweeters there and don't want holes in my door panels.

Also, how hard is it to mount tweeters in the A-piller, I hear I need to fabricate a mounting bracket.

I have installed amps/speakers in my previous car so I know I can handle it, its just that this car is pretty new unlike my old car.

I really don't have a budget, so all 3 are options, but I may decide to go DB's for ease of install and put more money away for my house. This could be the most expensive install ever! I need to buy a house for the garage space to install them in!

Howie
Post edited by howie777 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    Depends on how much you want to spend. If you can afford $750 for speakers, then get the SR's. A rule of thumb for speakers are the get the ones that A) sound best to your ears and B) get the most expensive ones you can afford within reason.

Im not familiar with the Altimas but they may be able to fit with a spacer. If you have a Tweeter nearby you could ask them. The SR's are fairly shallow so if the DB's will fit, Ill bet they will too. Besides, usually where there is a will, there is a way. I got the ENORMOUS MMC690's to fit in the doors of my Ram, and that was a tight squeeze. I had to do a little cutting and bending but I got em in there.

As for damping, the more the better. This will cut down on vibration, resonance and buzzing panels.

As for baffles, if youre talking about a mounting plate to mount the speakers to, this is a good idea. Using a good piece of wood with a layer of Dynamat on it will ensure a sturdy, vibration free mounting surface for your speakers. If youre talking about the pseudo enclosures that Crutchfield sells to go on the back of the speakers, dont worry about those. Other than keeping the elements partially off the basket, theyre worthless.

You wont have to fabricate a mounting bracket for the A pillars. Each of those speakers comes with mounting cups and only the SR's dont have a surface mount cup so with those youll have to cut a 2" hole in your A pillars. With the others youll have the surface cups so you will only have to drill a couple small holes. Its actually very simple.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • howie777
    edited March 2006
    Couple of things.

1) my factory system has tweets in the A-piller, the are installed via a bracket to the A-piller sheet metal, and A-piller trim sits over it with a speaker grill on the trim. So I'd probably need to mount the polk tweets to the metal A-piller and hopefully I can use the factory grill so it looks stock. Which is why I mentioned fabricating a mount. Although they may mount right to the hole in the A-piller trim.

2) Is there any sites or books that show you a good place to run your power wire through the firewall for specific cars? My last car I had a gromet that worked well. This car uses an epoxy to seal the wires through the firewall. This probably means drilling through the firewall? I may just have CC do this for me, even though it will cost an arm and a leg.

Howie
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited March 2006
    try to find a hole most cars have one somewhere. underthere
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Drilling a hole isnt hard at all. Just find a spot under the dash and then locate it on the firewall using the steering column as a reference. After making sure youve got clearance on either side, drill you a hole and run the power wire thru. MAKE SURE YOU USE A GROMMET! You dont want power wires rubbing against metal. Fires start that way! This is also why you stick a fuse within 18" of the batter.

As for the A pillar, I doubt youd have too much trouble getting the new tweeter to fit. It might require a little ingenuity but I dont think it would take a rocket surgeon to figure it out.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • howie777
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the input MacLeod. I am starting to think maybe this whole thing isn't such a good idea. I really shouldn't install a system and just get a house. DAMN I know I was suppose to be born to a wealthy family.

I'm sure tomorrow I'll do a 180. But right now I'm tired and don't feel like drilling any holes.

Howie
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2006
    The house is the more important thing. Later when you have the house, you can take your time working on the car in your garage :D.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    You can have both, just get the DB components for less than $200 and slap em in there. Great sound and cheap price! Cant beat that! :D

• howie777
    edited March 2006
    LOL I think I should sleep on it. I'll just use the 400.4 for a pillow and see what happens tomorrow.

I think I'm going to get the DB6500's and I can upgrade later

Howie