nees some good advice on receivers/rear projection tv's

Options
SPEAKER7
SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
my first question is....which receiver would perform better with my speaker set up? Denon 3801/3802 or the Onkyo txds787/tx-ds696? i have the rt800i,cs400i,rt35i,-spare cs245i,velodyne ct-150(may use it for the six channel) and how much of a noticeable difference in sound when/if i replace my low end JVC rx-6100v receiver with either the denon or onkyo? it's alot of canadian money to purchase either( brand ) receiver but be well worth the money if it make a big improvement to my system.

video question? i planning to upgrade my 27" sony trinitron tv for the panasonic pt47wx51 wide screen....but i'm not sure right now because a friend mind asked me if i knew that a rear projection tv's guns fades about 50% every 3yrs and after 6yrs the picture will be about 75% less bright and fading will level off after six yrs...this is process is very gradual.....he recommends me to buy a front projection. however, my problem will first be the cost for the front projection and the amount of work required to be installed......i wondering if anyone had any problems with their rear projection tv's and i should just go a head and purchase a the rear projection......(i don't know anyone that has a projection tv)

so please feel free if anyone has any opinions or advice in the audio/video questions above.....and i thank everyone on this site who gave me good advice earlier in the year when i bought my speaker system...ie Aaron, Russman..... etc. and many more polk owners.

dennis.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Dennis,

Glad you're enjoying your new system! Yes, you should notice a definite difference when you upgrade to a high-current receiver like an Onkyo or Denon. However, in the words of George, receivers aren't the last word in power. I think it really depends what you use your system for. If you're primarily home theater-oriented, then I'd say that you will be very happy with a nice Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha receiver. However, if you do a lot of stereo listening, then I'd probably think about buying a seperate amp for your RT800i's. Either way, I'd still replace the receiver.

Aaron
  • SPEAKER7
    edited August 2001
    Options
    thanks again Aaron for your great opinion on stereo/receiver....i just made my last upgrade for alittle while.....i ended up purchasing a Harman K AVR 310....sounds pretty good....was planning to go for the onkyo 797 or the denon 3802 but the price will be bit out of my budget..... it does not have the 6.1 out put(too bad but it does have logic 7 which is similar to the pro logic 2....i got the HK 310 for 999.99 $ cdn....it had a 300.00 off promotion.....

thanks again!!

next buy will be the sony wega 40".....but too expensive right now but i will be asking again for some for more advice.

dc.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I was going to recommend staying away from the Onkyo. I found the power supplies in them to be a bit flakey. As for TV's I just bought a High Definition 53" Hitachi back in January that I absolutely adore. So much so that I am selling my football season tickets to stay home and watch the games on TV.
  • SPEAKER7
    edited August 2001
    Options
    nap, thank's for your opinion!!!! it's interesting to see what other preferences are out there!!!!!!!!!.............it make decision making much more fun.

I almost bought the onkyo 696 but the price of the HK AVR310 was closer to much budget, both receivers had almost similar functions. (may pick up a 6.1/7.1 down the road but i can do without for now)

dc.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Glad you liked the feedback. But be sure to check out that TV it absolutely, unequivically, rocks !!!!!!!!!!
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I'm really like the ONKYO recievers. Clean power, owned them for about 6 years, no problems. The 787 would be plenty of power for what you have, even if you ungrade. I would really look into front projection system, they are the wave of the HT future. Just bought a new INFOCUS for under 2k. They have an ungrade plan too. Never will by a rear projection again. 2 cents:p
  • SPEAKER7
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Scottvamp

thank's for your 2 bits.....it's definitely well worth!.......my cousin suggested to me to buy a front projector also but, i thought it might be expensive and also i will have to hire someone to install the equipment and the cost for the replacement bulb.............however, i will wait abit and save some more money before i jump in. I will be looking for a new audio stand......i'm presently stacking everything on top of each other and it doesn't give a lot of room for the receiver to breath.

thank's,

dc.