Good Night and Good Luck

Options
woodyjacobs
woodyjacobs Posts: 706
edited June 2006 in Music & Movies
Anyone seen this yet? Watched it last night and thought it was very good...excellent performances all-around, great B/W PQ and thought it was great that were able to work that much archival footage in and still have it kind of "match." I found it be refreshingly short too. Seems like most "serious" movies these days turn in at about 2 1/2 hours. This one was 85 minutes. Kind of refreshing to be able to stay awake to watch the bonus stuff after the movie.
system 1:
Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
Post edited by woodyjacobs on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I just watched this too. Well-acted, and a good "mood" setter, but I just didn't think it was as good as everyone's been making it. Maybe it's just because it's so much just recreations of actual television broadcasts. It doesn't seem that.... creative to me. Cool, and interesting from a historical prospective, but... that's about it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited March 2006
    Options
    rt gave it a 94%. I'll go watch it. I liked Clooney's acceptance speech at the Oscars, and the fact that it's about a **** I've always hated, now I feel I HAVE to go see it. ;)
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I saw this in the theater a while ago and really enjoyed it.

Heasrd a funny thing about the movie when George Clooney did a Daily Show appearance hawking it. He said he had been asked by a number of folks, "Who is the actor that played McCarthy."
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2006
    Options
    There was actually a trivia item about that - I guess test audiences when they were screening the movie liked it, but thought the "actor who played McCarthy overacted a lot". For those who don't know - they used clips of McCarthy himself.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Just finished watching it...GREAT MOVIE! Of course if you've never heard of Senator Joseph McCarthy or Edward R. Murrow then you probably won't like it as much. Perhaps it was the Black & White effect, maybe even the somber portrayal of Murrow by David Strathairn. I felt kind of short changed when the closing credits rolled, I wanted to see more.

For those that are not familiar with Edward R. Murrow, do yourself a huge favor and learn a little bit about one of the premiere reporters during WWII. His broadcasts from Britain during the war were nothing short of amazing. You could actually get a real sense of being there by just listening to him. No I'm not that old!...but I've heard some of the recordings on various documentaries.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • crazy
    crazy Posts: 443
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I enjoyed the movie.

btw... the sound track of this movie is amazing. It's a must buy, esspecially if you like jazz.
    Distant Dream - A New Beginning
    www.distantdream.com
    (Now also available on iTunes)