2004 Toyota 4Runner Speaker upgrade

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've upgraded the head unit in my 4Runner and am ready to look at doing the speakers. I tried using the vehicle fit guide here on the Polk site, but only got results for my rear door. I also tried the one on Crutchfield, but looks like that's the same one as on here, no luck there either.

From what I've been able to gather, I have 6x9 components in my front doors now and 6.5 in the rear.

I'm looking for overall advice on what I should install, but have several questions as well:

1 - Does Polk make a 6x9 component? I don't think so, but want to confirm. If not, I wonder if I can buy a cosxial 6x9 and buy separate tweeters also?
2 - Nobody seems to like 6x9 speakers why is this?
3 - I am NOT adding a sub at any point down the road, so should I keep 6x9 in the front doors to help suppliment the bass, or just go 6.5 and lose the bass altogether.
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    Funny you bring this up, we were just discussing 6x9s in another thread.

6x9's are great speakers IF theyre made well and not some cheap flea market crap. Usually a round speaker will be more ridig than an oval speakers resulting in less distortion but nowadays, with a quality speaker that isnt the case. Polks MMC690 6x9 is THE BEST sounding coaxial speaker on the market!

MB Quart makes a 6x9 component set in their Reference line but that is the only ones I know that do.

Still, its extremely easy to stick a 6.5" speaker in a 6x9 hole. Simply run down to Home Depot and pick up a sheet of 1/4" plywood and cut out a baffle to fit over the 6x9 hole and cut out a hole for the 6.5 and youre all set!

If you dont want to break out the jigsaw, cruise down to youre local car audio shop and hit them up for an adapter plate. If you spring for the SR6500's, they come with a 6x9 adapter plate complete with Polk logo.

Whether it be 6x9 or 6.5, youre not going to get much bass out of either. Theyre just not made for it. Youll get good reproduction down to about 80 Hz but not much below that without a sub.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2006
    So would there be any advantage of getting a 6x9 over a 6.5?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    if you're never going with a sub, yes, there is a difference... with a sub, you wouldn't bother
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2006
    Does anyone know if the Momo 6x9 coasials will fit - is there another guide somewhere I could use to figure this out?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    if you're never going with a sub, yes, there is a difference... with a sub, you wouldn't bother
    That's the way I figured it as well...thanks

I'll need to check out the depth on those Momo 6x9 and see if I can fit them into my doors - then I gotta figure out what to do with my stock tweeters...
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    I dont know if the MMC690 will fit, its pretty hefty. I got them into my Beloved Rams doors but it was a chore.

If I were you, and you dont mind mounting a seperate tweeter, I would make an adapter plate and get some MMC6500's. I think this would give you the best possible SQ even without a sub.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fUtTtFzZvQH/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=107MMC6500
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2006
    I've asked around over at the 4Runner forum about my options for speakers and if anyone ahs measurements on the stock 6x9.

I know the 6.5 would sound better but I'm thinking the 6x9 may be better without a sub, as they should give me a bit more bass.

I already have a spot for the tweeter, as I already have a separate tweeter in that door.

What I'd really like to do is get the MMC690 in there where the current 6x9 is, and then buy a pair of tweeters from the 6.5 component system and hook those up in place of my current tweeters - but I don't think the MMC690 will fit in the dorr, I'm almost sure they wont
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    If your doors are thin, and considering how everything but the pricetag on a 4 runner is small, Id wager they wouldnt go in without a good sized spacer and some cutting.

Neither the 6x9 or 6.5 will make any decent bass so you would be better off with the 6.5 component set.