Quick Disconnects for Speakers

rbarbera75
rbarbera75 Posts: 16
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok here is my problem. I have all my amps mounted on a removeable platform in my trunk so that when I go to the track I can take out all the extra weight. All the RCAs and power/ground wires have quick disconnect terminals but I am not sure what I can use as a quick discconnect for the 12gauge speaker wire. I dont want to use barrier strips because I have way to many wires to keep unscrewing each time. Any suggestions?

I found these things called PowerPlugs at http://www.powerwerx.com/category.asp?CtgID=1001
I was looking at the 30amp models. Everything in my system is top notch but I dont want to skimp out on the connectors and have a bad connection. Would these PowerPlugs provide a good connection or is there anything else better out there?

Thanks
Post edited by rbarbera75 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    hmm... there are 'quick disconnect' terminals available at radioshack... basically the same thing minus the pretty packaging... that would be these in both male and female, in the right gauge... they're quite secure, and if they're not tight enough for you, you can just squeeze the female parts a little and the male will fit much better...

edit: holy crap, that was not supposed to sound that dirty... :D
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • rbarbera75
    edited March 2006
    I know about those connectors from radio shack and also the computer like connectors(4pin molex) but I was wondering if those or the radio shack ones would provide a good enough connection? The reason I ask is everything else in my system is top notch, ranging from phoenix gold amps to polk speakers all around and zero noise rcas. I dont want the quick disconnect to be my weakest link in my system thats why I was looking at the powerpoles.
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2006
    the powerpoles are these things wrapped in abs plastic and marked up 1000%... these are quite adequate... i use them in a couple places in my car, including the power to my HU, though admittedly not in my speaker leads (though i would without hesitation if i had the need)

subwoofers are a whole different story, though...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • rbarbera75
    edited March 2006
    please explain on why you say subs are a different story
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2006
    the amount of power you have going to a sub is usually a lot more than to speakers (i.e. i have 180 WRMS to each front, but 1300 to the sub at 4 ohms... a LOT more power)... if you get wimpy connectors for the front, no sweat, they won't add enough resistance to matter... however, on a sub, if you get small connectors, they could actually present enough resistance to cause problems (look at a 200 amp ANL fuse, see how thick that wire is, then look at the male end of a 18 gauge quick connector - see how they're basically the same?)