Setting gain Question

zgw8
zgw8 Posts: 78
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just downloaded the gain setting tutorial from the JL Audio website. I have a digital multimeter. Does anyone know if Polk produces a voltage chart for their amps? I have the 400.4 and the 500.1.

Thanks,

zgw8
Post edited by zgw8 on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2006
    No, we don't. Maybe we need to.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    I dunno, Im certainly no engineer but I think setting the gains by ear is a better way to go especially when youre talking 5 different channels. If you set all the gains precisely at the perfect spot, they likely will not blend with each other well at all. This is especially true if youre bi-amping.

Now one thing you could do is use the MM to set say the front channels and then adjust the rest by ear to where they blend best.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited March 2006
    Yep, ear is the best way, I set my gains to my JL 500 and 300 according to the chart, and it was way to much IMO. At the end of the day, I sat in the car and had the wife turn the screw until I felt it sounded "right"

Scott
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    I sat in the car and had the wife turn the screw until I felt it sounded "right"

Hmmmm, there is a good dirty joke in there somewhere. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • zgw8
    edited March 2006
    Well, I am just going by what the guy who built my sub boxes suggested. He is a well known competitor and has been helping me out. I have the top Pro-Audio Clarion HU and max vol is 33. I am no headbanger but where the system sounds best to me is at level 27. that is more than 3/4 volume and it isn't rattling the truck apart. Does this sound "normal" if there is such a thing? I.E., it seems to be a lot on the volume dial to get it where it really starts to bump.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    well, naturally, you want to have the greatest range possible, so you should hit your maximum desired volume at the highest volume setting you'll be using (usually like 3/4 max... i.e. if your HU goes from 1-33, your max would be about 25-27)... this gives you the ability to turn it way down if you want, but more importantly, the best signal-to-noise ratio possible

and your ear's response changes with SPL, so if it's quiet, the bass will sound very quiet, but when you crank it, the bass really shows itself a lot more... that's why, when it's at a barely-audible level, it sounds like there's no bass and mostly high-frequency stuff...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • zgw8
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I have the gain set just about right then. 27 sounds perfect to me on the volume which is roughly 3/4.