Polk Audio Monitor Series 2 - floorstanding - 1994

Options
jlfernandes
jlfernandes Posts: 14
edited March 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Can anyone give me any information on the performance of: Audio Monitor Series 2 - floorstanding - 1994'ish
Post edited by jlfernandes on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Can you be more specific? What series? The Monitor Series 2 were comprised of mostly bookshelf speakers. Most of those series were discontinued by your target date. The "S" and "LS" series were next and had some floor standing models. You could also be talking about the "RTA" series which were produced along side the "Monitor" series and were sometimes referred to on the serial tag as "Monitor". Also there were floorstanding models Monitor 11 and Monitor 12 and even a military only issue Monitor 15T (not RTA). But not built in 1994. Perhaps your date is a bit off.

Being more specific would help alot as Polk lines criss-crossed each other and there are no strict delineations by year or moniker (especially Monitor as every speaker company throws the word "Monitor" around as a generic description like Xerox copy and Kleenex).

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2006
    Options
    There was also a Monitor 10 Series Two, of which I had a pair. Dates on the drivers were in the 90's.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Options
    nadams wrote:
    There was also a Monitor 10 Series Two, of which I had a pair. Dates on the drivers were in the 90's.

Yep, but I don't consider the Monitor 10 as a floorstander. They were usually on short stands. I suppose one could get away with it, but the stands make them optimal, IMO.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • jlfernandes
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Well i bought the speakers last night, for $50. Sound Awesome. They are about 2.75 feet tall, 3 way speaker. and on the back it says that they are the: audio monitor series 2. no other description. there was a serial number above the barcode. I did a google search and found no info on the number. They sound great but im not exactly the highend audio coniseur (sp?). Any comments? Can anyone tell me if i got a great deal. good deal. got ripped off?
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Three way? You might be counting the passive radiator as a woofer....can you post some pics?

Welcome to the forum ( another spanish speaking member???)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • jlfernandes
    edited March 2006
    Options
    im at work now, but will post some pics when i go home. actually portuguese, but dont speak the language. I thought three way meant that there was a tweeter a mid and a woofer? if not what does it mean?
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Still not much to go on here are some links with pics and dimensions. It has to be one of these. See if these look familiar.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/monitor5/

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/monitor7/

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/monitor10/

Finally if it's not one of the above 3 it maybe the speaker in the pic below. This is an RTA-8 T(L) and on the serial tag they say "Monitor". If it's not one of these 4 please give a better description of the cabinet and driver sizes and position.

Hope this helped

H9
  • jlfernandes
    edited March 2006
    Options
    yep they are the monitor 7s. . .thanks!!
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Options
    yep they are the monitor 7s. . .thanks!!

Cool :cool: . Those are one of Polk's classic's and they get a lot of praise around here. Definetly a very fine sounding speaker. You got a steal @ $50. Enjoy them as you'd have to spend a lot of money today to get as good a sounding speaker. What equipment are you running them with?

Welcome to Club Polk!!! Have fun, contribute, laugh and most of all don't take things to seriously. Listen to your 7C's for awhile and then let us know what you think. Do a search as there has been much discussion over the years on the Monitor 7

H9
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited March 2006
    Options
    The 7's are not floor speakers. Take them off the floor and put them on short stands.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • jlfernandes
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Currently Im running:
    Receiver: Denon avr-1604
    Front: Infinity primus 160
    Rear: Infinity primus 150
    Center: Infinity primus c25
    Sub: Infinity PS8 (8 inch powered)

I was thinking of changing the conifguration to the following:

Receiver: Denon avr-1604 (6.1 75 watts per channel)
    Front: Monitor7s
    Rear: Infinity primus 160

I have a feeling that that is a bad idea. . .something to do with the tweeters????? can any explain why? or if im completely wrong can you explain why they wont work well together?
  • jakelm
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I dont see anything wrong with the second setup. The 7's make excellent fronts. Infact thats probably the best location for them. Timber might be a problem and I know for sure you will have to lower the center channel and do an audio calibration with a sound db meter. The primus are much more efficient thats why I suggest to lower center channel about 2-3 db on the reciever or raise db about 2-3db for front left and right. But once you have the same db readings for left right and center. It will sound very nice. Then when you want to listen to just stereo you can just switch the reciever to stereo mode and your set. I found in my setup that lowering the sub XO point from 80 to 60hz made a vast improvement also. And leave the fronts as small just adjust the sub XO to 60hz. Blends very well.

Just my 2 cents

Jake
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Currently Im running:
    Receiver: Denon avr-1604
    Front: Infinity primus 160
    Rear: Infinity primus 150

I was thinking of changing the conifguration to the following:

Receiver: Denon avr-1604 (6.1 75 watts per channel)
    Front: Monitor7s
    Rear: Infinity primus 160

I have a feeling that that is a bad idea. . .something to do with the tweeters????? can any explain why? or if im completely wrong can you explain why they wont work well together?

Certainly get those 7's in the mix. Depends on your level of commitment and your willingness to spend. Timbre matching of all speakers is very important. It's basically voicing all the speakers similarly which can really only be done with like speakers from the same company. Some here will agree emphatically others will dis-agree that it's not that important.

Try it out see what you think. You won't have a timbre matched system to compare it with, however. So you maynot notice a huge difference. The other solution is to purchase gear for a simple 2-channel set-up for music only; if you have the space and desire, the 7's will sound wonderful.

You could also look for used speakers in the same Monitor line and purchase those to timbre match your 7's and sell the Infinities to finance. Can be a pain in the a** selling/shipping speakers.

You could just leave it as it is and enjoy it while you decide what you want to do. I'm warning you.......this is an addiction (to audio) and once you go down the upgrade path it's hard to go back....Muhaahh...Muuhhahh :D:):p .

H9
  • jakelm
    edited March 2006
    Options
    We will turn you to the Dark Side
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jlfernandes
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Good to hear! Ill switch it up tonight and see how it works!
  • jlfernandes
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Rearranged my entire living room last night. Put the 7s in the front primus 160s in the back and it rocked! Thanks for all the advice. :-)
  • jakelm
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Not a problem JL.. Enjoy.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000