Upgrading from DB570s to components, opinions/facts please?

kenstewart
kenstewart Posts: 139
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've enjoyed my DB570s but think I'm ready to move up to the component world. Polks are definitely on my mind, but I've also got my eye on others. What I want is natural sound, range and clarity ... looking to stay around $300 for the components since I'll be upgrading an amp as well. I know the companies I've listed below sell very expensive sets, but know I've seen sets in my price range as well so please help me out with those if able. Here are my other companies I'm looking at in order:

Focals
Image Dynamics
Diamond Audio
Dynaudio
Morel
Oz

Too broad I know, so looking for general recommendations for people who've had experience with any of these
Eclipse CD8445 HU
Image Dynamics CXS54 Chameleons component setup
Two 8" Image Dynamics ID8D2v.3 subs
MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
MTX MXA3002 2-channel amp for comps
Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
Stinger and Knukoncpetz wiring
Post edited by kenstewart on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    All of those are excellent speakers and youll not go wrong with any of them however they all have pretty distinct sound differences and you may not like that.

The MBQ is the most natural sounding of the bunch, the Focals are very smooth and have good low end response, Diamonds are extremely detailed but lack midbass, the Morels are outstanding as are the Dyns and I havent heard the ID's or anything by Oz.

You should take youre trusty test CD and give them all a listen before buying. Then go to Tweeter and listen to some Polk MMC6500's. They would be my pick out of all those.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2006
    I would listen to as many of those as you can as MacLeod stated, and then make your decision. Too bad Rainbows are not as easy to get here in the States as some of those other brands.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • kenstewart
    edited March 2006
    Thanks guys, I ended up going with Image Dynamics full-range instead of components for now. Also have an Image Dynamics sub on its way so by next weekend I'll be installing them, a new Eclipse 8445 HU, and gonna finish sound deadening my entire interior. Next possible upgrades ... my amps. I know, they're important to get best possible ones but it's easier on my pocketbook to do it a little at a time :)
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    which ID sub did you get?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • kenstewart
    edited March 2006
    I have an 8" enclosure in my Sport Trac ... I got the ID8D2 v.3. Also got the 6.5" ID CTX6s for the front doors, will later put them in kick panels when I learn how to make some. BUT ... I'm already thinking about switching them with ID Chameleon components :)
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    this is a kickpanel done by one of the members (AustinKP), and it's a pretty damn good one for a first try... he walks through the whole process, and it's all very tasty... here are a couple excellent fiberglass tutorials... the only thing they don't emphasise enough (in my opinion) is how smooth you need to get the glass before beginning to finish it... it needs to be like... uh... glass... before you paint, or it's ugly... i know, i have an ugly pair in my car right now :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • kenstewart
    edited March 2006
    Cool, that looks like more of a possibility for me since I have very limited room down there, especially with the parking brake pedal. The door kick will probably be my best option so thanks for the links :)
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal