Whaty kind of coin...

Options
I-SIG
I-SIG Posts: 2,238
edited May 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
...would I have to drop to make a significant upgrade to my Audio Alchemy DLC. Seriously...and don't say Dodd MLP or the like 'cuase that's a LOT of coin!!! Balanced pre-outs & ins would be a plus since the Parasound 2200 apparently has a fair amount of life in it or at least that's what I've been led to believe.

Wes
Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
Post edited by I-SIG on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2006
    Options
    DLC's are sweet little pre's aren't they?

What are looking to improve upon?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • I-SIG
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I don't know. Just to make a change. I tried a Dared tubed-pre and wasn't impressed overall, so I'm fairly confident that at least a basic tubed-pre ain't gonna do much for me. I figured that since I had the least invested it might be the easiest to do better on. Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess I should really wait and see what happens when I add the CEC as a transport into the system before I mess with anything elsewhere.

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Conrad Johnson.

RT1
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Unless you go used and walk into a great deal, I think it's gonna take serious dough brother, that A-Alchemy is nice, very neutral.

I asked Gary Dodd if he could build me a passive pre based on his mid-line chasis, he quoted about $800 if I remember right. I'm sure he could put some XLR's on that pup, no problem.

Send him an email..
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I-SIG wrote:
    I don't know. Just to make a change. I tried a Dared tubed-pre and wasn't impressed overall, so I'm fairly confident that at least a basic tubed-pre ain't gonna do much for me. I figured that since I had the least invested it might be the easiest to do better on. Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess I should really wait and see what happens when I add the CEC as a transport into the system before I mess with anything elsewhere.

Wes

The transport changes are going to subtle---
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2006
    Options
    800 for a custom piece? Holy crap. OK, maybe not CJ. I don't like gear bashing but lets say in the letter D pre choices I am a fan of Dodd. Wonder if Gary will build me a transport with XLR, naw not his bag, but Wes could sell me that CEC to get some dough!!!!!!!! J/K enjoy your new stuff I am jealous!!

RT1
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2006
    Options
    It's hard to find a CDP under a grand with XLR. As I'm sure you've found..
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2006
    Options
    here's lou's dumb **** question of the day. what is XLR?

sorry for the hijack by the way
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2006
    Options
    XLR = Balanced interconnect

Ted,
    "XLR transport" does not compute... you mean CDP?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2006
    Options
    How'd this turn out? You still searching for a preamp, I-SIG, or have you contented yourself for the moment with a new source?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I-SIG wrote:
    ...would I have to drop to make a significant upgrade to my Audio Alchemy DLC. Seriously...and don't say Dodd MLP or the like 'cuase that's a LOT of coin!!! Balanced pre-outs & ins would be a plus since the Parasound 2200 apparently has a fair amount of life in it or at least that's what I've been led to believe.

Wes
    Dusty Vawter of Channel Islands Audio fame used to work for Audio Alchemy so maybe you can contact him to see if there are any mods that either you or he can perform on your DLC. Channel Islands Audio is over at the Audio Circles website if you are interested.thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I've heard good things about the CI gear.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Me too, it appeals to me visually. Clean, no nonsense.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2006
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    It's hard to find a CDP under a grand with XLR. As I'm sure you've found..

I noticed this too. Still wondering why:confused:
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I just checked out www.ciaudio.com. Interesting stuff. However, I didn't see any preamps by CI Audio besides the passive controller.

How is Monolithic Sound associated with CI Audio? That Monolithic PA-1 preamp looks pretty interesting. Passive up to 12 o'clock, then a Class A amp provides up to 6db gain when you need it. Are there any other preamps that are passive and active like this?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Dusty did a little more than "work for" Audio Alchemy.

Seems like Stereophile had an article on/ interview with Dusty a while back. If I remember correctly (possible, not probable) I think MS is also Dusty's. He had some different designs from CI's, which are similar to AA's, that he wanted to put out there, and decided a separate company was the way to go.

His AA "experience", as in the company going belly up when it overreached it's market, his MS approach makes sense.

MS's webpage references CIA's address.

EDIT: Found this Googling Dusty's name...
    When AA went out of business, Vawter continued to offer upgrades and power-supply mods for AA products, and branched out with Monolithic Sound's Greg Schug, with whom he still works. (Schug is Vawter's partner in CIA, while Vawter is Schug's partner in Monolithic.) Vawter wanted to try his hand at some of his own projects, however, so he started CIA...
    Full article

So I was semi-close, but not spot on...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• I-SIG
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Michael,

Nothing happened with the pre upgrade. I'm thinking CD (maybe SACD) source for now. I think I'd probably go for the Marantz 8260 and just wait till they can figure out the macroblocking issues with plasmas on some DVD sources. The problem right now is that I handled a buddies suppressed Krinkov...wow...so much more handy than a short AR, but I digress... :o

I probably should contact CIA. My DLC actually has a CIA power supply, so I know I'm good on that. I think that was one of the DLC main issues was needing something better than a wall wart for juice. Who knows, in ten years a little $100 mod might really make the DLC a no-brainer lifetime keeper. :confused:

Wes

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    DLC's came with just about every PS AA made: the One, the Three and the Four. The Three is the most sought after, and the only one AA made that you don't have to hide.

There were two PS3 models. Both had the same basic look as all of their gear, but on one model the left side of its face plate is concave, so that it mates up perfectly with the face plate of whatever AA piece it is powering.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I-SIG wrote:
    I probably should contact CIA.
    If you do this, please post what mod's are being offered.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I-SIG wrote:
    My DLC actually has a CIA power supply, so I know I'm good on that. I think that was one of the DLC main issues was needing something better than a wall wart for juice. Who knows, in ten years a little $100 mod might really make the DLC a no-brainer lifetime keeper.

Have you tried to find an AA PS-2 for your DLC? It's the same size and shape of your DLC. (Sold for around $250 if I remember right.) Is anyone parting with them??? If you could find one or the equivalent you'd be golden. I know I don't plan on parting ways with my DLC / PS-2 combination anytime soon.;)
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Bob,
    I see a couple on ebay every year. Lately they've gone in the $180 to 200 area. A couple years ago two went for just over $60. They are stout, but ugly...

The pic'd DLC/ PS2/ LIS combo went for nearly $500. The LIS may be the rarest AA bird of all. I've only seen one other one listed...

The more handsome DLC/ PS3 pic'd fetched just under $300.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• I-SIG
    edited April 2006
    Options
    BobMcG wrote:
    Have you tried to find an AA PS-2 for your DLC? It's the same size and shape of your DLC. (Sold for around $250 if I remember right.) Is anyone parting with them??? If you could find one or the equivalent you'd be golden. I know I don't plan on parting ways with my DLC / PS-2 combination anytime soon.;)

Nah, I figured that the CIA upgraded supply would be just as good. The CIA supply is muchmore substantial than a wall wart. It's like a squarer red brick and almost as heavy.

Wes

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I-SIG,
    Can you post a pic?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• I-SIG
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Ask and ye shall receive.

Wes

• organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I used to own Audio Alchemy gear. Jitter reducers and DAC. Very good stuff. Bruce (Tour2ma) is THE man to talk to about AA. He knows everything about their pretty little black boxes.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Ah shucks...

First read of AA years ago when it was blowing the minds of several Stereophile reviewers. Couldn't afford it then, but thanks to ebay...

It was high value stuff at MSRP, but at today's used prices it's just riduculously high value stuff.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• I-SIG
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    Ah shucks...

First read of AA years ago when it was blowing the minds of several Stereophile reviewers. Couldn't afford it then, but thanks to ebay...

It was high value stuff at MSRP, but at today's used prices it's just riduculously high value stuff.

What kind of "Ah shucks..." is that?

I have decided I want to eventually get a DTI of the highest version to feed the Bel Canto.

Sorry my picure wasn't of the greatest quality. The power supply is iding behin a SRS with a lot of cables obviously over the top of it. I think getting the VTI rack got rid of my hum that I thught was the CATV's problem, FWIW.

Wes

• organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Wes,
    The DTI worked very well in my combo. I actually used two different models, both made by AA. I guess the only way to describe it is that it "fleshed" out the music more.

If you're getting an AA DTI, look at the "pro" versions that have an option to add dither in the digital signal. People claim that it makes the sound more analog sounding.

Good luck.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The modest kind... as in, "Ah shucks organ, you're embarassing me..."

Wes,
    opus just received a DTI I sent him to play with. When he's done, I've got no issues with having it route back to me via you...

Of course that assumes opus is going to cut it loose, and not bribe me to keep it...

EDIT: and yes, the DTI Pro is the one to own, but all the other DTI models are damn good in their own right...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I'm a big fan of AA. I still have the following: DLC pre; DTI v2.0 filter; DTI+ filter; DDE v1.1 DAC; two basic; one PS-1; one PS-2 power supplies; a host of cables. My brother has a list of other pieces as well. I don't think we're parting with any of them soon as we're still using most of them in various systems. Dusty's a good egg. After the demise of AA we'd still call him up occasionally with questions and he was always glad to help.

If I remember right the first label the AA type products were seen again under was "Camelot" or similar to that wasn't it? Audio Advisor, for one, sold the equipment.