Sony TC-854-4

Options
lbrenner
lbrenner Posts: 33
edited September 2001 in Technical/Setup
Sorry to ask a tech question NOT about speakers, but I really need some help, and I know some of you guys are packrats out there...

Anyway, I need a service manual for a Sony TC-854-4 reel to reel recorder! Specifically, a schematic for the circuit board controlling the motor (capstan) speed, which is running this deck at 1/4 of its proper speed at the moment. If anybody has this sort of information, I'd gladly (eagerly!) pay for it or a copy. I suspect that information for similarly numbered models might work, too, such as the TC-850.

Thanks for any info or leads. It's not easy being a fossil. - Larry
Post edited by lbrenner on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm sure I can send you the schematic, I have two of the 850-2 decks in my collection. If you'd like to telephone me at 1-800-377-7655 extension 891 or email me at kswauger@polkaudio.com I'd be happy to get them to you.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Ken's such a good customer service guy he even supports other companies!

Aaron
  • lbrenner
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Thanks, Ken... Will do! TWO 850's? I'm impressed. How are they holding up? How do you like them compared to other "classics?"

Aaron - At least SOMEBODY supports Sony. You'd think they'd keep this information around, but I tried them first with no luck.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    No problem, I'll make a copy of the complete service manual and send it right out. I got the first TC-850 when I was in the Air Force on Okinawa in the late 60's. I had been such a frequent visitor to the Sony store, stopping by just about everyday, talking with customers, that I got a part time job working there on Saturdays. On Okinawa each major company had their own store, everything they made was on display and sold and serviced there. This was a three story building, chock full of Sony products, everything audio and video from small radios to professional video gear. I would work a certain amount of time and then receive a piece of Sony gear. It worked out great, I could talk to customers, write up their service tickets, anything to help. Then I'd save up for a prime piece of Sony equipment. I can clearly remember when the delivery truck brought the first TC-850 to the store. About six weeks earlier a regional Sony manager had visited the store, we struck up a friendly conversation and he mentioned the new tape deck. He had preliminary information sheets, with all the performance features. In any event, he arranged for one of the first units to come to our store and I was able to buy it. Its been a great deck, I've replaced every resistor in every circuit board with 1% metal film Roedersteins, replaced every capacitor with tantalum caps bi-passed with .01 Mylar's (each cap looks like it has a miniature "backpack"). I'm now about halfway through replacing every piece of connecting wire with Kimber wire and then I'll look at the power supply and mechanical damping of the two fly wheels. I've had the heads re-lapped once and do a pretty extensive "tune-up" every so often. I really like the 1/2 track playback and 15 IPS along with the dual capstan/pinch roller design. I've been able to find some high speed working master tapes of Mercury Living Presence and RCA shaded dogs, unbelievable! Audio heaven, it spoils you for anything else, its like having your head on the end of the recording microphone.
  • lbrenner
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Ken -

Got the information in the mail Saturday. You've certainly put Sony to shame! I'll run it over to the repair shop Tuesday (nice job, being a HI FI doctor - every week has a 3-day weekend) and we'll see if the tech can apply it.

Thanks again! - Larry
  • lbrenner
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Ken's copy of his service manual enabled the repair guy here to diagnose the problem as a bad capstan motor. That's serious, since Sony didn't stop at discontinuing the manuals, they no longer carry parts, either.

So... any of you packrats (George, I know you're listening!) out there have or know of a Sony TC-850 or TC-854 capstan motor, parts deck, or any good leads...

Thanks! - Larry