Sound dampening or enclosure?

davida
davida Posts: 2
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi everybody, this is my first post.

I am installing four MMC650's as a home theater system on my boat. They will be installed into factory cutouts in the "ceiling". The area where the cutouts are is solid plywood pieces, about 2'x2' in size for each cutout. However, everything else is acoustically open because the "celing" is just single layer vinyl mounted on large frames; it is called headliner panels in boating I believe.

Head unit is a Harman Kardon 335.

How should I attemp to install the speakers to control this open baffle situation?

Wouldn't they create an "acoustical short" if I install them just as is because the front and back of the speaker membrane would be acoustically coupled (the ends of the 2'x2' panels are open)?

Would I have to create an enclosure for each speaker to isolate them (which would be very difficult to do because I would have to dismantle most of the headliner panels)?

Or should I try to wrap and stuff some acoustic material around each of the install panels to create some sort of separation and leave it by that?

Space from the headliner panels to actual fiberglass ceiling of the boat is about 4" and, to make things even more difficult, it is curved (as most things are on a boat).

Thank you for your help ,
David
Post edited by davida on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    hmm... if you can get some blocks of acoustic foam up in there, go for that... if that fails, cram as much polyfill in there as you can, get it as dense as possible (without letting any actually get in the speaker!)... still, i wouldn't expect much bass from a 2x2 panel, so you'll probably want to install them, run them full range, then move the xover point up till you actually hear a decrease in bass (wild guess, about 75 Hz), to get more clean output...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs