Vifa XT for CS350?

Options
wirebill
wirebill Posts: 63
edited March 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hello Polkies,
Maybe one of you audio wizards can offer some help. I want to remove the stock tweeter from a CS350 center channel speaker (8 ohm) and replace it with a Vifa XT like the one in the LSiC (4 ohm). Can I put a 4 ohm resister in series with the tweeter? If so, is there a voltage or anything else that also has to be considered? Would it make sense to just get a second crossover for the Vifa and isolate the original tweeter wires or do you have a better idea?
Thanks,
Bill
Post edited by wirebill on

Comments

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Why would you want to do that?

it won't work. The crossover is designed for that driver. you could try it, but you probably won't like it.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Buy an LsiC

The price of the Vifa tweet plus the money you would get from a CS350 may get you close to an LsiC. I'm not sure.
  • wirebill
    edited March 2006
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    Why would you want to do that?

it won't work. The crossover is designed for that driver. you could try it, but you probably won't like it.

What won't work? The resistor idea? The new crossover?
    As for why, I think that the tweeter in the CS350 is a little too bright.

Airplay,
    I already have an LSiC, but thought that I would try something else. I bought the CS350 from somebody on this site and just received it on Wednesday. My first impression was that it's too bright and I find it fatiguing . I thought that If I tried the same tweeter that is in the LSiC I might like it better.
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Your going to change the response curve of the crossover. If the tweeter is too bright for you, get in touch w/ Polk CS. The replacement will probably be a silk or polymer dome. That will have a different sonic signature, probably what you are looking for.

Just remember that, if you have fronts of the same product line, you will alter the front stage of your HT. You may want to change those, too...
  • wirebill
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Amulford,
    Thanks for the response. I think you have a good idea about calling Polk.
    As far as the other speakers go, I have a pair of Ohm I’s for my left and right fronts and Rti25’s for my surrounds.
    The Ohm’s have four switches on the crossovers, each with three different settings, so I can come pretty close to matching the timber of other speakers.
    If I find that I am not crazy about the CS350 I can sell it and go back to my LSiC.
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • wirebill
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Amulford,
    Thanks for the response. I think you have a good idea about calling Polk.
    As far as the other speakers go, I have a pair of Ohm I’s for my left and right fronts and Rti25’s for my surrounds.
    The Ohm’s have four switches on the crossovers, each with three different settings, so I can come pretty close to matching the timber of other speakers.
    If I find that I am not crazy about the CS350 I can sell it and go back to my LSiC.
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • soiset
    soiset Posts: 724
    edited March 2006
    Options
    What is the mounting diameter of the tweeter in the cs350? I am thinking of putting the tweeter that is in the cs250 in the cs350 to match my S speakers.
  • wirebill
    edited March 2006
    Options
    soiset,
    The overall dimension of the tweeter is 3 ¾
  • wirebill
    edited March 2006
    Options
    soiset,
    The overall dimension of the tweeter is 3 ¾” including the mounting flange but the hole that the speaker fits into is 2 ¾”.
  • soiset
    soiset Posts: 724
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Thanks, wirebill. Those are the same dimensions of both the sl5000 and the sl5001. As far as fitting goes, it would work perfectly. Since the crossover points are proprietary info, I assume that it would just be a matter of experimentation.