Help with db6520 wiring

Options
plasticspaceman
plasticspaceman Posts: 5
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
So, I scored a pair of db6520's on eBay, which arrived today, and I couldn't help noticing that each speaker has two sets of terminals. One terminal appears to be wired to the tweeter, and does not have tinsel leads... so my best guess would be to wire the + and - on that terminal to the + and - on the other, and then run the amp wires to the terminal with the tinsel leads.

Is that wrong? I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer.
Post edited by plasticspaceman on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Huh? Ya lost me.

DB6520? There aint no such that I know of anyway.

If youre talking about the DB650's, they dont have dual inputs.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • plasticspaceman
    edited March 2006
    Options
    They are the old db Series speakers. Circa 2000.
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Hmmm, new one on me.

Anyways, are you saying that the terminals for the tweeter have no leads from the terminal to the tweeter?
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • plasticspaceman
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Naw... at first I thought it was some sort of DVC set up, which I had never seen on a speaker before. The tweeter is mounted above the woofer cone (more like an "integrated component" than a coax). The wires for the tweeter are coming out of the bottom of the speaker (through the magnet) and are mounted to one set of terminals (which do not have tinsel leads... so I reckon there's only the one voice coil.

This terminal is connected to the terminals on the other side by a piece of wire, and the other terminals are running to the voice coil. I am just trying to figure out if I need to run the wires from my amp to both sets of terminals, or just one side (and if only one, which one)?

db6520-1.jpg
    db6520-2.JPG
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Options
    OK, those are so you can bi-amp your speaker (i.e. run the front channels of a 4 channel amp to the tweeters and the rear channels to the mids).

If youve only got a 2 channel amp, and Im assuming they dont come with a passive crossover, just run one channel from the amp to both terminals of one speaker.

At least thats what I guess. Thats a weird configuration. I take it you didnt get an owners manual?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Contact Kim in customer service at 800-377-7655 x.208.
  • plasticspaceman
    edited March 2006
    Options
    You mean you don't know? ;) I thought about bi-wiring, but I just don't want to use all 4 amp channels for these two speakers. I need to power the tweeters in the dash separately, becuase right now they are wired in parallel with the woofers in the doors, and they are way too bright for my liking. So, I want to be put the dash tweeters on channels 1 & 2, and these Polks in the doors on channels 3 & 4, so I can balance the volume as I see fit. =)

Who is Kim? Would Kim be expecting my call?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    Options
    kim is customer service... polk customer service is amazing... call kim...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Just curious, does that number take you straight to Kim, or would you ask for Kim?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Options
    You dont have to bi-amp those speakers if you dont want to.

Why not just run out to your car and hook up one of the amps channels to each set of terminals one at a time and see what happens. If both tweeter and mid wont work at the same time then just run wire from one channel to both sets of terminals.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2006
    Options
    jesus people --- mountains from mohills...

see the image below -- it has how to wire them

i used to love that series.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • plasticspaceman
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Thanks, Dodge and everyone else for your help. I'll be taking the car apart tomorrow to put these and my other components in... I can't wait!