my amp turns off

bjohnson69
bjohnson69 Posts: 5
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just purchased a pair of mmc525's and a pair of db400's for my truck. I'm trying to power the 4 of them with an older kenwood 2xchannel amp. Right now I have them wired up in parallel using both channels. When I try and turn it up, the amp shuts down. Do I need to wire them up different, or is it more likely a power/ground problem? Just another note, I noticed today that the volume changes. I was sitting at a red light, and after a little bit it seemed to get louder. Any ideas?
Polk LSi-25 (front)
Polk LSi-C (center)
Polk LSi-FX (rear)
Polk PSW-505 (sub)
Onkyo TX-NR801 (reciever)
Onkyo DV-CP702 (dvd)
Post edited by bjohnson69 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    just out of curiosity, when you're idling, does the volume change coincide with the engine fan turning on or off?

it's possible that the amp you have is not 2-ohm stable, in which case it would do exactly what you describe (if this is the case, i'm surprised you're getting music at all!)

if you put only one pair of speakers on the amp, does the problem go away?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2006
    Sounds like the amp is not liking the lower impedance. I had an older Kicker that was 1ohm stable at one point. Many years later it did not like that load any more.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • bjohnson69
    edited March 2006
    It's a mechanical fan, so that can't be it. But yeah it worked just fine until today, after I hooked up the second pair of speakers. So it sounds like I get to run some wire from speaker to speaker huh? One other thing I was wondering about, is it ok for 2 amps to share a remote wire? just curious, thanks
    Polk LSi-25 (front)
    Polk LSi-C (center)
    Polk LSi-FX (rear)
    Polk PSW-505 (sub)
    Onkyo DV-CP702 (dvd)
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    yes, amps can share a remote wire... three or more amps may require a relay, but two should be just fine

and yes, you'll need to run the speakers in series... note that the power output will drop significantly, so your maximum volume will probably be lower than your current cut-out volume...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • bjohnson69
    edited March 2006
    thanks for the help, now I get to go have some more fun with wires
    Polk LSi-25 (front)
    Polk LSi-C (center)
    Polk LSi-FX (rear)
    Polk PSW-505 (sub)
    Onkyo DV-CP702 (dvd)