Amp install locations

howie777
howie777 Posts: 357
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well I broke down and ordered the C400.4 today. I really don't know where to put this thing though. I don't like the idea of installing on the back of my rear seats, but its an option if all else fails.

The stock amp is actually mounted under the rear deck along with an XM tuner. If I remove these two components, how hard would it be to fashion a mount for the C400.4? Can you just buy sheet metal or something and build a mount that way? My trunk shape isn't very amp friendly, I was hoping to stick it against the side of the truck but there isn't room. I am also pretty sure it won't fit under the passenger seat.

Any recommendations? I don't have much room in the trunk (I use it a lot actually so I can't have a ton of audio stuff there)

FYI, this is going in a 2005 Altima

Howie
Post edited by howie777 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    The trunk is the best option. However you dont want to mount it upside down. They are designed to radiate heat out thru the top and since heat rises, the heat would rise right back up into the amp and likely cause it to overheat.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2006
    I have a 96 Nissan Maxima and have my amps mounted on the floor, behind the back seat. I would think that your Altima would have at least the same amount of trunk space as mine. I had though about putting them against the back seat, but this location has worked out well. I also need trunk space. I have kids and carry their stuff all over the place. Be it school or the beach, it works out. Here is are some shots.

482517_175_full.jpg
    482517_173_full.jpg
    If you want to mount it under the rear deck, make a panel that hangs from it and leaves enough room for the amp. Make sure you mount the amp top side up though.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the tips. 1996blackmax, did you just use some mfd that fits snug up against the seats, carpet it, then install the amps on the board? Is that mounting board (if it is one) anchered to the vehicle or just a tight fit to keep it in place.

It seems my biggest concern will actually be mounting the tweeters in the A-pillar. It seems there is no universal mounting system for tweets so I need to fabricate one myself as the stock one probably won't work. This should be interesting.

Howie
  • 1996blackmax
    edited March 2006
    I used some type of wood. Can't remember now what it was now :). It was quite a few years ago. I carpeted it, and it's secured it by using a few long screws to the car itself. I have the amps raised a tad to allow the wires to come up from underneath them.

I just put in some new components in my car. I was depabiting where to mount my tweeters. I only had a couple of options. They are a great set of speakers from Rainbow, the only problem is that they only give you on type of mount, a flush mount. I though about the A-pillars, but they would not work well there. I tried the window sales, tweeter was too deep for this. The tweeter stuck out a little from the mounting cup, which could have been fixed with some silicone. The other thing was that it was pointing down. I ended up putting them in my doors (a couple shots down below). I think this actually worked out pretty good. When you do the install try out different locations for the tweeter. It is good to have a friend help you here, or some tape :D. Then try to put it where it will give you the best sound.

482517_147_full.jpg

482517_179_full.jpg
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2006
    here's how I mounted my amp in my trunk. Just screwed the amp to a piece of MDF just larger than the amp, then mounted it to the rear deck with some pieces of allthread and bolts. I didn't know how sturdy it would be, but it's rock solid. I can't budge it with moderate pressure.

When I first had my sub in my trunk, I just had it velcroed to the floor. If I turned left hard, it would come undone and slam into the amp mount. It never moved. Fortunately, it would just hit against the enclosure and not hit the cone. Anyway, with it mounted like it is, it has enough airspace to not overheat(it never has, even at high volume over a long time) and still leaves me most of my trunk space.

**Edit** You can't really tell from the picture, but there's a lip from the rear deck that comes in front of the amp, but there's about 3/4" of room from the top of the amp to the rear deck.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • 1996blackmax
    edited March 2006
    That is exactly what I was talking about. Very nice job there on the install Austin.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin