All polk sound system

Options
Getty17331
Getty17331 Posts: 26
edited April 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Im looking for some help in trying to fit a pair of subs in the back of a Scion Xb. I have a 500.1, the 300.2 for the fronts. I'm curious, is it worth the money for the MM subs or go for the Db series:confused: ? I'm not looking to compete with it just a good strong sound. Salesman at Tweeter recommended 2 500.1s with 2 DVC MM 12s, one amp per speaker :eek: . I was more inclined to do 1 amp and 2 SVC MM subs. The 12s only take .88 cub. I think if I raise the floor up with a false floor I will be ok:cool: . Eliminating the spare and storage area is a must. I read a post on fiberglassing the back to make a sealed enclosure. Is this as strong as a full wooden box? Gimme some ideas........ Thanx in advance.

Rob
Post edited by Getty17331 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    Options
    for your purposes, i think that one 500.1 powering two MM2124s would be ideal... yes, they are worth the extra cost over the dbs, but no, you don't need the extra power of 2 500.1s...

fiberglassing, done properly, is ridiculously strong, much stronger than wood if the 'glass is a bit convoluted... the only thing you have to watch out for is flat runs, those are better done in wood (fiberglass sheets are bendy, and you don't want your box to bend)... that's easy, though, fiberglass bonds right to MDF, no problem...

so what's your plan? a false floor, with the magnets of the subs down into the spare-tire well?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Getty17331
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Definitely a false floor, with two elementary school daughters:D I still need the use of the back hatch area. You would be suprised how much stuff they take to soccer practice and shopping :eek: !! I was thinking the magnets in the spare tire area, one on each side, with the amps end to end in the middle.Flush mount the entire system with carpet over MDF board or with :eek: ...fiberglass...:eek: then put a one or two piece cover on the whole thing, leaving some sort of cutout pattern over the subs. Giving it about 1-2 inch gap in between for air circulation.
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2006
    Options
    sounds like an awesome plan! actually, search the car forums for 'false floor', we had a spate of them a while back, you might be able to glean some ideas to make it even better...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Getty17331
    edited March 2006
    Options
    One step ahead of you, already found a couple on the site. Nice to see different ways and styles to get a ballpark idea of what I need to do.:D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    Options
    How about a DB2122 and a single 500.1? Great looking box, thats already tuned and well built. They soung great too.
    Here.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Getty17331
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Good idea, I did get a listen to one at the local Circuit City, sounded good. I was trying to go for the stealth look,:cool: false floor and all. I need the rear cargo area for eveyday use.
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2006
    Options
    how's your plan coming along? you got it all under control? :p

• Getty17331
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I've got the amps, two sheets of MDF 3/4 board, looking/saving for the subs, looking to do the Dynamat thing to the back. Cables, wires, and such I may have a hookup locally. As soon as Pa. weather breaks I can get started, little chilly this time of year:rolleyes: :eek: ;) I do have a question, I'm looking to do a false floor in the back, can I alter the box measurements for the subs? I've built boxes in the past and always stayed with the recommended sizes, I don't want to change the cu. ft. space, just the overall shape of the box. ie...12*12*12=1 cu. ft. / 12*8*18= 1cu.ft. I'm still at 1728 cu.in. but the size of the box is different ,so as to fit what I'm trying to do better. Does this mess up the characteristics of the sub, sound quality, or anything?:confused:
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Getty17331 wrote:
    I've got the amps, two sheets of MDF 3/4 board, looking/saving for the subs, looking to do the Dynamat thing to the back. Cables, wires, and such I may have a hookup locally. As soon as Pa. weather breaks I can get started, little chilly this time of year:rolleyes: :eek: ;) I do have a question, I'm looking to do a false floor in the back, can I alter the box measurements for the subs? I've built boxes in the past and always stayed with the recommended sizes, I don't want to change the cu. ft. space, just the overall shape of the box. ie...12*12*12=1 cu. ft. / 12*8*18= 1cu.ft. I'm still at 1728 cu.in. but the size of the box is different ,so as to fit what I'm trying to do better. Does this mess up the characteristics of the sub, sound quality, or anything?:confused:
    i believe a good rule of thumb is 11:1... you don't want your largest dimension (length, width, or height at their maximums) to be more than eleven times the size of your smallest (length, width, or height at their minimums)... more than 11:1 and you could get issues... so, if your trunk is 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep, make sure the box is at least 4 inches tall... it's unlikely you'll hit this limit, but one never knows... other than this, the shape is irrelevant

oh, and for the curious, i didn't just totally pull this out of my arse, this is the 'standard' rule of thumb for slot ports... it's the rule there because more than 11:1 and you get excess drag on the air, lowering tuning unpredictably... i figure the same will happen inside a very large, flat box, the backwave could actually interfere with the main wave, cause it has so long to bounce around in there... no, i have no proof, but it can't hurt...

• DaIceMan
    DaIceMan Posts: 2
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Any update on the system in the xB? We put 2 db12s in my xB in a 1.9 cu ft enclosure. Running on a Sony Specialty Series XM-SD61X and it hits pretty dang hard. The amps are built into the cavernous rear floor boards with custom cover panels.

Post up some pics if you have any?