How hard would it be...

howie777
howie777 Posts: 357
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
OK, I have looked at the fit guides on Polk/Crutchfield and sounddomain and polk and crutchfield say the same, only DB6500. Sounddomain says I can fit all 6.5" components polk makes. Anyone know how accurate these fit guides are? And if the SR6500 don't fit, are we talking major renovations usually? I know you can't say for sure unless you had my car to look at. It is a 2005 Altima SE in case someone has experiece with the car. I'm wondering if maybe a spacer is all I'd need.

Also, is there anywhere I can go to find the dimensions before I make a descision? Crutchfield use to in there mag but I can't find any now. I'm only looking at front components run off a 400.4 right now. amp+sub later.

Thanks,

Howie
Post edited by howie777 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    I don't have experience with that particular car, but usually there are two reasons a speaker won't fit. The first is something too close behind the speaker, which necessitates a spacer (easy). The second is a hole that's too small, which means you have to cut out metal (not as easy). Enlarging a hole can be done by your average handyman, as long as you're patient. Then, drill the mounting holes and in the speaker goes; you could still need a spacer.

There's only one fundamantal problem that I can envision, and you should be able to check it reasonably easily. The problem arises if you need a spacer, but there's not enough room between the sheet metal and the door panel to hold the spacer and the speaker. Without possibly-major reconstruction to the inside of your door, I don't know of any way around that. But, assuming you have enough space (e.g. I have ~3 inches, plenty of room) you can fabricate some stuff and get the SRs in there... it will be well worth the trouble.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited March 2006
    howie777 wrote:
    OK, I have looked at the fit guides on Polk/Crutchfield and sounddomain and polk and crutchfield say the same, only DB6500. Sounddomain says I can fit all 6.5" components polk makes. Anyone know how accurate these fit guides are?

Accurate?? Crutchfield stated 6.5" speakers won't fit in my car. I went to put some 5 1/4" speakers I had in there (exact models which Crutchfield said fit "EZ") and they fell through the holes in the factory locations, could not even reach factory mounting points. Crutchfield, for example, only has speaker dimensions for the previous generation of my vehicle, yet they use these for all models.

I went with some Polk 6.5s that were not supposed to fit any factory location in my car, and they went right in (with two additional screw holes in the doors, drop-in replacement in rear locations).

It's probably best to pull out the actual speakers you wish to replace, measure them up, and compare to the dimensions found in Polk's actual specifications. You may need to use an adaptor, make new mounting holes for screws, or enlarge the factory speaker opening somewhat- it depends on how badly you want to make the speakers work for your application.

I would suspect the main difference between the db6500 and the sr6500 woofer dimensions would be the diameter cut-out required. The tweeters appear to be much larger in the sr6500 set than those in the db6500s, and may present a challenge if your Altima SE has factory tweeter locations (and factory tweeters that are much smaller than those in the sr6500 set). You may even have to fabricate a different mounting bracket to fit replacement tweeters into factory locations.

Overall, the online fit guides give you a ballpark idea if something will fit, but they often don't take into consideration changes the vehicle manufacturer has made from one model year to the next (or even differences between trim levels). Almost every speaker manufacturer or online retailer has a vehicle fit guide of some sort, and they don't always agree with one another as to speaker size required or brands that will fit.

I would imagine you would be able to make the sr6500s work if you did not mind making some modifications to your Altima. Your local Polk installer may be able to tell you for sure.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited March 2006
    Is this what you've got?

Factory tweeters in the a-pillers, with a 6.5 woofer in the door?

If you pull the a-piller and compare size of factory tweeter to that of the sr's, I'd bet the woofer would go in with minimul fuss in the factory location.
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited March 2006
    Those db6500 are listed as 7" speakers which is why they would fit. I had the same problem with my Eclipse and the mmc6500. Both places say it wont fit cause the opening is actually 7" but an adapter plate will solve that problem.

I highly doubt it a mounting depth issue.

edit- I will know sure if cardomain ever ships my order!
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the reply's. The only thing that worries me is mounting dept as the SRs are about a CM or more deeper mounted. I'd just assume not pull off my door panels more than necessary but maybe it would be worth it to measure it out.

Thanks for all the advice.

Howie