SRS: Busted a binding post and mounting plate

Options
jcmccorm
jcmccorm Posts: 103
edited February 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Twas a sad day yesterday as I was moving my big SRS's into the new bachelor pad with a buddy. They are much heavier than I remembered then being and we discovered while moving them from the old house that sliding them down the stairs (Carpeted. Eased them down.) on their back was the way to go. The first speaker went fine but the second one didn't have all of the binding post caps screwed down so a couple of them extended out the back beyond the plane of the speaker backing. One post broke off and the other just bent enough to crack the mounting plate.

I think I can remove the plate and posts and fix the crack. I was wondering what you guys thought of these Dayton binding posts as replacements:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-1250

I've been using the Dayton speaker cable banana plugs and like them mechanically and thought I'd try their binding posts unless someone's experience dictates that this is a bad idea. :) Thanks.

Cary
Post edited by jcmccorm on

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Bummer. Your SRS's have one or two pair of posts? If they are bi-wireable, which ones broke?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • jcmccorm
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Two pairs of posts. The topmost negative post broke off at it's base and the topmost positive terminal just bent and cracked the round mounting plate with it. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Cary
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I have a spare vintage post if you're interested....or do you need two?

This would be a perfect time to upgrade.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jcmccorm
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thanks D!! I really appreciate that! Since I've got other things to do to get the theater ready, this really is the time to upgrade the posts. I've already done the crossover upgrade and tweeter replacement. I've never seen Dayton posts or speaker connectors mentioned here and wondered if there's a reason for that.

Cary
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2006
    Options
    If it were the lower posts, I was going to suggest a binding post that came with a mounting plate, like Cardas and IIRC, Dayton offers. The C to C of the Cardas is near identical with the lower post spacing and you would have had a thick overlay to add some strengh. Just enlarge the holes and drop them in.

Since it is the upper ones, that idea won't work unless you obtained some posts with individual insulators that would require enlarging the hole. They would need a locating tab to prevent them from turning.

I have some original Polk posts I was going to offer you, but doro beat me to it.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • jcmccorm
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Well thank you to both of you! I hadn't thought of that - using the posts that come as a pair with a mounting plate. I will be replacing all four posts but since the top two need to be individual posts because they are spaced further apart I may as well use the same ones on the bottom pair.

Cary
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2006
    Options
    jcmccorm wrote:

I've never seen Dayton posts or speaker connectors mentioned here and wondered if there's a reason for that.

Cary

The Dayton's look OK, drop in and no soldering required.

Speaking for myself, I wanted good durable posts with a nut for use with thick speaker cables and spade connectors. Knurled nuts can be a pain in that application.
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2006
    Options
    A quick search at Dayton brought these up. They do require soldering though. It looks like they have a tab on the insulator (check out the plate pics below) so you would have to file a notch in the plate.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-620

Lots of offerings. Sort through em and make a choice.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Cardas is overrated, save some money and buy Vampire Wire.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,825
    edited February 2006
    Options
    As far as making a difference in sound quality, they are all overrated. However, Cardas posts have better nuts.:p
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited February 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Cardas is overrated, save some money and buy Vampire Wire.

I second the Vampires.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I-SIG wrote:
    I second the Vampires.

Wes

Plus another for the Vamps.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The Vampires are nice and about 1/3 the price:eek:
    Carl

• BobMcG
    edited February 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    The Vampires are nice and about 1/3 the price:eek:

Yes and no.... :)

It depends on which ones you buy. For my Carver amps and SDA-2B upgrades I used the rather inexpensive $30 a set Vampires but to do my 2.3s and Amazings I went with their top of the line posts at $100 per set.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2006
    Options
    BobMcG wrote:
    Yes and no.... :)

It depends on which ones you buy. For my Carver amps and SDA-2B upgrades I used the rather inexpensive $30 a set Vampires but to do my 2.3s and Amazings I went with their top of the line posts at $100 per set.

You are correct! Vampire does make the more expensive alloy posts. I have had great performance with the $20 set from Parts Express. I can't speak for the sonic difference for the more exprensive ones. A few members have told me they hear no difference. They may be better quality.

Carl
    Carl

• BobMcG
    edited February 2006
    Options
    ...and heavy duty. And do they feel and look it! The top of the line posts are a bit costly because they are machined from a copper base metal and direct hard gold plated. I felt my 2.3s and Amazings were worth it.:)