ARC Amps ???

MarkG
MarkG Posts: 10
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Anybody have any experience with ARC amps? A local shop was discounting these for what seemed to me to be a super price ($440). I put some money down to have 2 - 4150-XXK's held for me, but wanted to check with everybody here to see what the consensus was for these.

http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/amplifiers/xxk_4150.htm.

I am thiniking about running one bridged stereo @ 4 ohms (320 X 2) for some seperates up front and another to power a set of rear seperates (80 X 2), and a single 10" (maybe 12") sub (bridged mono 320 X 1). I had a look at some birth sheets and these definitely put more power than the above labeled specs. Please pass along any comments/reviews/experiences.

Thanks!
Post edited by MarkG on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    No comments from personaly experience here, but 1996blackmax has one and is a strong advocate of their amps. They seem to be of really, really good quality, and really well built.

Just out of curiousity, why would you want to bridge a 4-channel amp to power components instead of just biamping the components with it?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2006
    I actually have a couple :).

That is a very nice price for that amplifier. It is the top of the line 4ch. amp from Arc Audio (2005 models). They go for around that much used on Ebay. My amps which are smaller actually go for more than that here in town. I was thinking of going with that amp to run my components but went with the smaller one to retain trunk space.

What components are you running? That seems like alot of juice for them. If you could bi-amp the components that would still offer you over 160 watts RMS to each one. Are you running rear speaker because you are going to carry around passengers? I would skip this step if you are not, and get a two channel model for a sub. I am running the 2100-XXK for my sub and it throws out about 400 watt RMS. Heck if they are having that good of a sale get either the 2500-XXK or the 1500-XXK for sub duties. These things all make tons of clean power, can't go wrong with Arc gear.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2006
    I have had a few friends run them and I have yet to find one I could find a complaint on. I definitely have them on my consideration list and for that price, they'd be definite. Get 'em!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • MarkG
    MarkG Posts: 10
    edited February 2006
    Mr. Bliss
    There is slight chance I might wind up with a set of seperates which cannot be bi-amped, another great deal that just might be too good to pass up.

Glad to hear you are more than happy with the ARC's, and that the price is really good. I might wind up with a set of Dynaudios. Silk dome tweeter is nice and smooth, and I like the idea of getting a 7" driver up front to help mid-base imaging. Plus, I think the deal (under $500) might be just as good as with the amps. I have been told, and have read that these components just love the power. One of the guys at the shop was pushing his with almost 500 watts. The rear speakers will be there for when I need them and I at least want them to get a decent amount of power. I remember you saying that you were thinking on the ARC 12" sub. I was looking at them today also, but I am slightly concerned about the listening section of the review (on ARC's website) where the reviewer was getting "boomy and overblown" upper base notes using a 0.9 cu ft sealed box. He had to go up to a 1.25 cu ft box to solve the problem, but once solved all was good. This doesn't worry you? That is just too big a box for me.

Toxis
    Thanks for the reply, and yeah I think I will pick them up. Nice to hear that everyone seems pleased with the ARC's. Will let you know what I think once they are in.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    I'm not following how a set of components may not be biampable...but man, if they'll take 500watts...you want 'em to get everything you can give 'em!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2006
    I also read that part of the review. I have actually read it a few times. He also mentioned that this would be easily controllable with an equalizer, or by lowering the x-over frequency. Another thing he said was that it excels at reproducing almost every musical genre out there. If I end up getting it I will post a little review on here.

I hear you about the mid-base imaging up front. I though about going with a set of Rainbow Profi Kicks a little while back. I ended up going with the Germaniums. Both of these sets make use of silk tweeters, which I like. The Germaniums have the new CAL 25VOF tweeter. They made a couple of changes from the previouse CAL 25s. For the money they are a very nice component set. The reviews over in Europe were on point.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    its all about power --- if you want to dump 300 wpc on a speaker - or a pair of speakers like a component set - then bridging a 4 channel is sometimes a good way to go.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge