Been awhile

MarkG
MarkG Posts: 10
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey everybody! New guy here looking to tap into your knowledge if you don't mind. I haven't really stayed up on the audio front since I set up my last system (back in 1997 I bought a new VW Jetta GLX). My set up consisted of; Alpine CDA-7995 HU (recent addition), 2 sets of Canton Pullman RS 2.16 seperates (front door/dash & rear deck), 2 Kicker 8" Freeair subs (rear deck mounted underneath via MDF - I needed the trunk space), all powered by a Soundstream Reference 405s (25x4 100x1). The Canton's were very enjoyable, and the subs weren't too sloppy. I just bought myself a 2006 Toyota Avalon and I'm in the market for some new equipment. I want to pick up a new set of seperates for the front (pillars/doors 6.5"). I have had a quick listen to the Boston Pro 60s, CDT Audio HD-62s, and some Focals. I plan on checking out the Polk SR6500 soon, and from what I have been reading about them here, this is probably what I'll wind up with. I will put a set of the Canton's mentioned above in the rear doors. I am undecided on what sub to go with. I need my trunk (new dad), and I could care less about bumping the neighborhood, so I am looking for a single 10" in a sealed box. JL's seem to be everywhere, and I have considered the W6v2 (nice reviews) in one of their ProWedge systems. Boston's G5 is another choice, but I doubt I'll be able to get a listen to one. The new Polk SR should be a winner when it comes out, but I might not be able to wait that long. Money is not too much of a factor, but I am definately not rich. Please let me know any feelings you have about the JL or Boston choices, or feel free to point me to somthing different. Amp choices to be addressed next, most likely depends on my subs power needs (1 5 channel or 2 seperate amps). Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Note : I am a sq guy, who listens to many different types of music (Peter Gabriel, Jimmy Buffett, Public Enemy, New Order, Nine Inch Nials, Beethoven, etc.) at normal listening levels.

Mark
Post edited by MarkG on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    the 6v2 is a good choice for your requirements, but take a listen to the SR6500, then imagine that sound in the sub-bass area - you may want to wait for the SR subs...

you seem fairly confident in your decisions, but consider the following:
    1) a 12" sub - just to pull a little deeper bass, not truly necessary, but a nice addition
    2) no rear speakers - better SQ at less cost... some people like the rear fill, in which case:
    3) use the same brand and line of speakers in both front and rear - it could sound pretty funky to have two different brands...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    The Boston Pro is the only Boston speaker I like. The rest, including the Z's are way to thin sounding for me.

Never heard any CDT's but have never heard anything bad about them either. Focals are super sweet sounding speakers but theyre french.

The 12W6 is the best sounding sub on the market right now. The upcoming SR's may dethrone them but for now theyre on top of the hill.

Wise choice on picking the speakers first. A watt is a watt. Once you get your speakers done then you chose the amp based on your budget, power requirements, desired features and build quality and youre all set.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2006
    Nothing wrong with having different brands of speakers up front than in the back.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Other than theyll sound completley different from each other and generally sound worse than when taken individually. Timbre matching is a good thing.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2006
    Other than theyll sound completley different from each other and generally sound worse than when taken individually. Timbre matching is a good thing.

Again, this is not an issue.

As far as subs go, I went with a 10" sub to give me more trunk space. It's a Soundsplinter RL-i. These are known to be some of the lowest distortion producing subs around. They have a good amount of output, and can do it very cleanly.

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli_ignition_series_8_inch_and_10_inch_diy_subwoofer_drivers.html

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli_series/rli_10_inch_DIY_car_and_home_subwoofer_driver_information.html

Arc Audio ARC series subs have also received very good reviews, musical is a term used to describe them. I am planning on going with a 12" version a little later as it only requires a .90 cubic foot enclosure.

http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/subwoofers.htm

Here are the specs for the 10" version.
    http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/subwoofers/arc_10d4.htm

As far as the components I would try to listen to as many as you can. I listened to several sets and was not very impressed, especially for the asking price. I finally took a chance on some Rainbows. I read many reviews on them, asked questions to several people that owned them, and did a lot of translating on different European sites. I finally got a set of Rainbow Germaniums and these things are awesome, especially when you consider the price. These are pretty hard to find here in the U.S. though. I bought them from a guy on Maxima.org that is an Authorized dealer for them, as far as I know he is the only one that has them available. I actually have a thread here showing some pictures of them. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37430
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    Again, this is not an issue.

can you clarify this a bit more?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2006
    You mean to tell me that when you have a set of speakers up front from brand X, and then a set of speaker from brand Y in the back they will not sound right? Right now my system uses Rainbows up front and Polk's in the back (I engage the back speakers when I have passengers). Up until last week it was all Polk in my car's cabin. My system now sounds better than when I had all Polk stuff in there.

I know people who are running 3way active systems with drivers from different companies and their systems sound very nice.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    It will sound ok but it would sound better with timbre matched speakers.

Ya dont see too many home theaters with Polk mains, JBL surrounds and Infinity centers do ya?

• 1996blackmax
    edited February 2006
    Well my system sounds more than OK now when compared with my system when I had all speakers from the same company.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    people that run 3-ways with different brands and comparing that to front vs rear speakers is totally different. A better comparison would be infinity's on the left and a/d/s on the right.

Especially with highs, there are very audible tonal differences with different brands, of course, some brands blend in better with other brands, but the idea is still the same.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2006
    My oginal statement was that I there was nothing wrong with using brand x speakers up front and brand Y in the back. I gave the 3way example to show that it is possible to use different speakers up front with good results.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MarkG
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions!
    I do plan to only run the rear channel speakers when someone is sitting back there, and even then at a decreased volume. I don't know what the sound difference would be like with 2 different fronts and rears. Way back when, I did have a system like this. I had infinity Kappa 3-ways up front in the doors, and Boston 2-ways on the rear deck. I can't remember there being any real obvious difference in tonal sound when played together. After that I went with Cantons all around, so I really don't have much to imput. I guess if there was a large difference in the way the speakers sounded, they were played at equal volume, and were about equidistant from you, there might be a problem, but as an occasional rear fill, I think it will be a non factor. Once I get my system up, I'll let you know what I think.
    I have resigned to waiting for the Polk SR subs to come out. I would hate to pick something up, then hear the polks and want to kick myself in the a. Plus, this will give me more time to audtion many brands, and actually identify the sound I'm looking for. Has anybody ever done a side by side (in car) comparison of a 10" vs. 12" (brand/power/box - equal). I'm really curious as to the difference. I know you get a little lower, and probably a bit more volume, but what about sound. I have never used a 12", but have always loved the nice tight sound of a sealed 10".
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2006
    You can still get that nice tight sound from a 12" sub in a sealed enclosure :). If I get the Arc Series 12" sub any time soon I will let you know how it sounds.

I have little ones and that is the reason I went with a 10" sub. Needed the room for the stroller at the time, boogie boards, and many other things :). I believe the SR10 would have nice ouput capabilities as well as very good SQ. I would not expect anytihing less for Polks new top of the line sub. Plus in can go in a pretty small box.

For me to get more output I would have to move up to the next size. My sub is no slouch in the output department, it has 20mm of linear excursion. The reason I am looking at the ARC12 is that it is pretty closely rated to my sub amp's output, can go in a small box, and it has gotten nice reviews. Plus it's nicely priced :). Good luck with your choices.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MarkG
    edited February 2006
    I have one little one, and the trunk of the Avalon is pretty small for a larger car, so I understand completely. I am about 90% sure I'll be using a 10". The Boston G5 I'm considering only needs a 0.5 cu.ft box for the 10", a real plus if only I can get a listen to one (or at least a review).

Do let me know if you get the ARC12 anytime within the next few months. Love to know how it sounds and what size box your using.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2006
    Will do.

Here is a link to a review:

http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/pdf/sub_reviewfi.pdf
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MarkG
    edited February 2006
    Just returned from haviing a listen to the SR6500 and all I can say is WOW!! I went over to a Tweeter near my work, and was really suprised by their set-up. One of the first stores, chain or independant, that actually have a comprehensive and working car audio section. The sales rep also knew his stuff, and was really helpful, then just left me alone to play. Unfortunately, today is his last day.....figures. Anyway, back to the SR6500's. I had a quick listen to everything they had of intrest to me (Boston Pros, JL ZR's, Focal 165KF's), then decided on which of these I preferred. I liked the Focals best and decided to use these to compare with the SR's by listening to a few different types of music. I would play a selection on the Focals, and switch to the Polks, and have another listen. The Focals sounded great, very bright, detailed, but seemed to me, to be a bit lacking in the their mid-bass reproduction. The Polks were just fabulous. Music seemed to just pass through the area where they were mounted, instead of coming directly from the set. The highs were very precise, and not a hint of harshness, I could listen to them all day and not get fatigued. Mids were perfect, listened to some piano, and string arrangements that sounded like they were right there in front of me. A few selections got pretty low, and the Polks handled it perfectly and with ease. Nice, tight and punchy when needed, and mellow, but present and defined always. I would have to say these are the best sounding speakers I have ever listened to. They might not be everyones cup of tea since due to their super smooth sound, but I thought they were fantastic. I will be buying a set of theese speakers for my upcoming system!!
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2006
    Yeah the Focals are known for having a tad too bright of a tweeter.

The SR's are a nice set of speakers.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    and another convert is won!!