Question on SR6500 Install

Meteo
Meteo Posts: 2
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Greetings everyone. I have been in the market for a major aftermarket upgrade to my car audio system (2005 Dodge Dakota ExtCab) since I purchased my home theater system approximately 3 years ago. I have always been a fan of Polk products and have listened to the SR6500's several times at Tweeter and other retailers, while reading the literature on them an have decided to build a system with a pair in the front, no rears for an improved image, an Alpine 9861 head unit, a JL Audio 300/2 amp for the fronts and a 500/1 powering a 10W7 in the rear. So, I'm looking at a reasonable amount of hardware for a SQ system.

My question relates to the install on the SR6500's. I have read recently in CA&E about the benefits of installing drivers in a customized enclosure to improve midrange bass response, as well as other things. I am wondering about the recommended size on a sealed box for these speakers, and the feasibility of such an install in the front of my truck. Don't mind some custom work as I was planning on custom kicks anyways, but I would like an idea if anyone else has done this or if I can steal a Polk Installer's opinion. Thanks a bunch.
Post edited by Meteo on

Comments

• Meteo
    Meteo Posts: 2
    edited February 2006
    Sorry, this appears to be in the wrong thread. If it could get moved to the correct one? Thanks
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    no, this is okay where it is :p

as far as enclosures go, since you're using a sub, basically all you're looking to do on the mids is contain the backwave... to that extent, anything from ~200-~600 cubic inches will do fine... larger and there's very little point to the exercise, smaller and you lose extension...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2006
    I read the same article. Got me thinking :D.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin