WTB audio component rack

Options
2»

Comments

• MSkeezer
    MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Yes Gator, give us the details. That's a very nice rack :p .
  • GATOR3000
    GATOR3000 Posts: 355
    edited February 2006
    Options
    All materials are from home depot.

1. I used ¾” thick laminated (glued) pine boards 12” wide. These come in 6’ and 10’ lengths. Also, available in 16” widths and 6’and 10’ length.

2. Cut the boards to suit you component equipment width.

3. Drill 5/8” dia. hole in all 4 corners of each board. (The centre of 5/8” dia. hole is 1” from the edges of the board).

4. Sand and finish boards to your taste.

5. Use ½” dia. threaded anodized steel rod and slide the rod through the hole in each corner.

6. Thread ½” dia. hex nuts and washers onto each threaded rod to hold boards in place.

7. Level board and tighten the top hex nuts only. (Do not over tighten hex nuts. Snug tight only).

8. Repeat step 6 and 7 as required for number of desired boards.

Please be cautious when you working with power tools and wear safety glasses............. :) Just kidding, but it is a good idea.

To thread all those nuts takes time. Make sure you are listening to your favorite tunes cranked up on those Polk speakers!
    Theatre System 5.1
    Sumsung HP-S5053 plasma
    Receiver Denon AVR 3806 Pre/Pro
    Parasound HCA 1500A amp (front L/R)
    Parasound HCA 1000A amp (centre)
    B & K AV5000 amp (bi-amp + surround)
    Dynaco ST70 tube amp (Herbie HAL-O9)
    polkaudio Lsi15 (Cherry) 2-channel
    polkaudio Rti8 Front (Cherry)
    polkaudio Csi5 Centre
    polkaudio Rti6 Surround
    polkaudio PSW1000 Subwoofer (Cherry)
    Original A8T CD
    Pioneer DV-275 DVD Player
    MONSTER CABLE MP-HTS3500MKII Powercentre
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2006
    Options
    GATOR3000 wrote:
    To thread all those nuts takes time. Make sure you are listening to your favorite tunes cranked up on those Polk speakers!
    I nearly went nuts (ahh... pun) having to move my rack once. I had to take it apart and thread it all back together again. Must have took me about an hour and a half, and I only have four shelves!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried putting these flexy racks on wheels?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2006
    Options
    nice DYI rack, Gator!

btw, noticed your CDP-40, whoa, I still have my CDP-30 fully functional and active in the kids bedroom rig. Too much memory that goes with it, initially almost bought CDP-101 but don't have enough coins, so I wait around for a year and bought CDP-30 for 3/4 the price of 101. Good to see its sibling on someone else's rack.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Not sure how well wheels on a flexi rack would work, although it would be a lot easier to move around with casters. I wouldn't want them on mine because it weighs so much and don't want it flexing (marble doesn't like to flex). I had to actually put mine on wooden blocks so that it doesn't make permanent divots / holes in my carpet.
  • GATOR3000
    edited October 2006
    Options
    polkatese wrote:
    nice DYI rack, Gator!

btw, noticed your CDP-40, whoa, I still have my CDP-30 fully functional and active in the kids bedroom rig. Too much memory that goes with it, initially almost bought CDP-101 but don't have enough coins, so I wait around for a year and bought CDP-30 for 3/4 the price of 101. Good to see its sibling on someone else's rack.

Thank for the complemente on rack. Yes, mine is still fully operational. I bought it 24 years ago. She cranked up some good tunes over the years. Lots of memories here too.

Gator:) :)
    Theatre System 5.1
    Sumsung HP-S5053 plasma
    polkaudio Csi5 Centre
    polkaudio Rti6 Surround
    polkaudio PSW1000 Subwoofer (Cherry)
    Original A8T CD
    Pioneer DV-275 DVD Player
    MONSTER CABLE MP-HTS3500MKII Powercentre
  • GATOR3000
    edited October 2006
    Options
    cfrizz wrote:
    Has anyone ever tried putting these flexy racks on wheels?

HD casters would work on hard surface only. Yes, it can be done nicely as you can buy threaded caster shoes to match the vertical threaded rod. No casters here as I have W to W carpets.

Gator:) :)
    Theatre System 5.1
    Sumsung HP-S5053 plasma
    polkaudio Csi5 Centre
    polkaudio Rti6 Surround