Toyota Avalon suggestions

ledhed
ledhed Posts: 1,088
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I believe this is my first post south of the border...

Ok, I own a 2000 Toyota Avalon without the JBL package and was wondering what my best option for good sound on the cheap was. I do not mind having to alter door panels etc. I am not looking for boom but, appropriate bass. Also, I do not need it to sound superb because that is what my home rig is for.

I am guessing I would need an amp, of course 4 speakers and maybe 1 or 2 subs depending on their size. I would rather not get a new HU because I think it would look awful in a toyota.

Also, What is the best way to integrate my iPod? I have a USA Spec adapter but am not very pleased with it. I know I am losing sound quality by using an iPod but, for the ease of use, I love it (I still use CDs though)

All help is appreciated. Thanx!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
Post edited by ledhed on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    the only way youre going to get an iPod to work with the factory radio is going to be an interface suck as the RF 360º which doesnt come out til april and its going to cost you 2-300 bucks or FM modulation which is much cheaper, yet the SQ of a mp3 isnt that great to start out with, when you put it through a fm signal its just going to degrade more.

What I would do is set of components up front, keep your stock rear speakers, throw a momo 2104 in the back, run it all off 400.4 and call it a day
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2006
    Thanx. About how much money will all that be? Also, I have an adapter, I just do not like it very much. Im looking at getting the H/K version instead, does anyone have any expierience with that one?
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Assuming my guesstimate of $400 for the C400.4 amp is right, that setup would cost you about $800.

C400.4 - $400
    MMC6500 - $300
    MM2104 - $100
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2006
    If his deck has an aux jack he just needs to put a 1/8" to RCA cable for +/-$30 and then he can plug it in.

No need for all the extra crap unless you absolutely have to have the display on the dash.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    not many stock decks have auxiallary inputs...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    get a real radio. using a factory radio i like putting a an Audio Research amp on Radio Shack 4" full range speakers.

get good radio, say a kenwood or an eclipse for around 250 with an AUX input.

snag a set of components for the front... and put two 8" subs in the back deck where the factory speakers now are...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    You can keep your factory radio if you have to. PBD is right that an aftermarket unit will be superior in every way but if the OEM unit is so integrated into the dash that you cant remove it practically then keep it but youll have to use a good processor like one from Audiocontrol or JL Audio's new Clean Sweep thatll clean up and strengthen the signal.

This last competition I was in, the guy with the highest overall score used a factory head unit in his Acura.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D