Need help - alternator whine & other problems

Dark Horse
Dark Horse Posts: 11
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I got back from Iraq and installed the 5.25 components in the front, 6.5 coax in rear, and 10 woofer in back, all supported by properly sized amps - Jeep Wrangler. These are my problems:

1. I always have a ringing in the speakers now - high pitched tinny sound, whenever sound is on - I figure I need some type of noise filter for this general problem, but don't know specifically where to isolate it to
2. I also have major whine with climbing rpm - I'm assuming alternator whine - again - what's the best way to solve this?
3. Everything is balanced and I have no distortion, but every once in awhile when a very loud part of the music hits I lose all sound - from all speakers for half a second - any ideas?
4. Auxilliary input I havd an mp3 player, and it has more whine than the radio does, noticeably

I was planning on getting this: PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter and possibly this: American International S-15A/S-25A and possibly this: PAC SNI-1

Please give me advice or constructive criticism. Thanks.
Post edited by Dark Horse on

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited February 2006
    are you running the amps via a separate power line and fuse block from the battery? (dumb question maybe... but I'm not that smart...)
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Dark Horse
    Dark Horse Posts: 11
    edited February 2006
    Amps draw power direct from the battery - in line fuses there, but no fuse block.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    do you have a d-block for the power? for the ground? if your grounds are separated, you could be getting feedback there...

(include more troubleshooting here that's not occurring to me at the moment)

as a last resort, consider upgrading the big 3...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    80% chance you have a faulty ground.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited February 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    80% chance you have a faulty ground.
    X2...

Maybe a loose ground wire... smaller gauge than required/necessary... wire is not touching bare metal...
    <|>
  • BOWLMAN
    BOWLMAN Posts: 47
    edited February 2006
    Is it possible that the power cable is to close to the other cables causing interfearance??
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    possible, but not likely...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    BOWLMAN wrote:
    Is it possible that the power cable is to close to the other cables causing interfearance??

No.

Unless youre using $10 Radio Shack RCA's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    well, the only way a power cable causes interference is if the current through it is changing, which essentially means your power is cycling really quickly - it could be that the alt doesn't provide power smoothly, or that you're drawing lots of quick bursts of power... even if the current is rapidly changing, you'd still, like mac said, have to have pretty crappy RCAs to notice...

again, most unlikely... it's probably ground, or it could be equipment - i have a teensy bit of alt whine that i simply cannot get rid of (every piece of equipment is wired straight to the battery, no chassis grounds for me), and i think it's my HU...

• bpadget
    bpadget Posts: 65
    edited February 2006
    May not be in your chassis electrical system at all. Could be from the spark plug wires.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2006
    Sounds like the HU needs a noise filter.
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited February 2006
    My bro had a problem like this... sounded like alternator whine... the HU was faulty (Pioneer P1Y)
    <|>
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    What I would check if it was my car...

1- RCA's -- do you have directional RCA's? If you do, and they're hooked up backwards, this could cause noise... a lot of noise. Are they decent RCA's... do they say "Radio Shack" on the side or a name brand of twisted pair / shielded design.

2- Alternator regulator -- throw a volt meter on the output post of your alternator (usually covered with a red cap on chrysler products) and have someone rev the motor for you gradually from idle to 3k rpm... then do it quickly... watch the meter... does it sit around 13.8 to 14.4 happily? or does it bounce all over god's creation.

3- entire power lines -- starting at yoru battery terminals... are both positive and negative terminals clean of rust and corrosion? are they both shiney on the inside where they make contact with the battery post? is the battery post nice and shiney? (if not. sand down the inside of the terminals... or sand down the posts). Are the wire terminals that you are using to connect your power line to the battery terminal rusted? are they securely connected and making good contact over a nice big surface area or are they just hanving on by a thread? is the power cable of sufficient gauge for the power output of your amplifiers? are any parts of your power line kinked against metal and possible grounding out? is your ground line less than 2 to 3 feet long? is your grand the same gauge as the power line? is your ground terminal on the gound wire rusted? where youv'e attached the ground terminal to the vehicle's sheetmetal, did you sand down the paint and get it to bare metal? is it a good connection? is there rust forming there? did you use a steel screw (bare) or a painted screw? did you use a grounding "foot".

4- speaker wires -- kinked or grounding out? running next to rca's ? running next to power line ?
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge