computer question

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
okay, i searched for an answer to this, and couldn't find one, so i figured i'd ask the computer people here for a pointer (hehe) in the right direction...

i run winXPpro, and i have a little program called ObjectDock that basically replicates mac OSX's dock, i like it a lot... problem is, if i don't use it for a while, it gets paged to disk, and then when i rollover it next, it takes a sec to reload all the images... is there any way to tell XP to keep this particular process in true RAM all the time, and not to put it to the pagefile?

if no one knows the answer, are there any good computer forums out there i can search on?
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited February 2006
    well depending on how much memory you have you could always remove your pagefile completely, forcing everything to always be readily available. Windows by default always move things to the page file automatically whether or not it is running low on physical memory or not. On most all of the computers i build i do not let windows have the option to swap stuff around by eliminating the entire page file.

However as for telling windows to keep certain programs out of the swap file while still using it for others, I have no idea.
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    well, i have a laptop with only 512 meg memory (i know, i know... looking to upgrade to 1 or 2 gig as soon as is feasible), so i figured that wouldn't work... some time after this week, i'll sit down with it for a while, see if it actually hurts me to remove the PF...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    Post this in the Clubhouse. There are quite a few computer gurus over there.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited February 2006
    well depending on how much memory you have you could always remove your pagefile completely, forcing everything to always be readily available. Windows by default always move things to the page file automatically whether or not it is running low on physical memory or not. On most all of the computers i build i do not let windows have the option to swap stuff around by eliminating the entire page file.

However as for telling windows to keep certain programs out of the swap file while still using it for others, I have no idea.

This is something you can do if you have 1Gb+ of Ram but some programs require a page file to work properly even if you have 2Gb of ram... the best thing to do with the page file is to move it to a secondary hard drive. it is also recommendable to put the page file on the fastest hard drive available (SATA drive or something similar) to minimize the access time to files...
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Post this in the Clubhouse. There are quite a few computer gurus over there.
    done, thanks for the tip
    CrBoy wrote:
    This is something you can do if you have 1Gb+ of Ram but some programs require a page file to work properly even if you have 2Gb of ram... the best thing to do with the page file is to move it to a secondary hard drive. it is also recommendable to put the page file on the fastest hard drive available (SATA drive or something similar) to minimize the access time to files...
    laptop, so no extra drives... the PF is currently on its own partition, which i've read is the best way to do it with only 1 drive...

• CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited February 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    laptop, so no extra drives... the PF is currently on its own partition, which i've read is the best way to do it with only 1 drive...

You got that right... also set the min and max size of the partition to be the same to avoid resizing...
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2006
    done... think it'll help, much?

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    no idea dude... I allow a grossly large page file and I'm running a gig of ram... but i've got some CAD type programs that need it.

I know what you're tlaking about, where something get shunted to the back of the proverbial line (hence the pagefile) because its not the #1 thing you're using at the moment...

all i can say is good luck dude. and i wanna see how this turns out cuz it is interesting.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge