Speaker ID, Blown Tweeter

Options
audionewb
audionewb Posts: 4
edited February 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I have set of older Polk speakers that I think I blew the tweeters in. I jumped the fuse on the back of the speakers (bad idea. I know) and turned them up pretty decent. Now the tweeters have a constant hissing sound coming from them that gets louder as I turn the volume up. I seem to also be getting occasional distortion. It is hard to tell though because the acoustics in my dorm room are about as bad as possible. Does this sound like a blown tweeter to you?

Assuming it is a blown tweeter, can anyone help me figure out what model these speakers are? The serial numbers start with 5B. Is that monitor 5B? All I can find in Polk's vintage speaker listing is the monitor 5, which does not seem like my speaker. I would like to ID these things so that I can order replacement parts.

Lastly, what kind of fuse should I run on the back of these things to avoid a repeat performance. It just says "small fuse" or something on the back. Thanks for any help you can give.
Post edited by audionewb on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,825
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Yep, Monitor 5B's. Pull the tweeter out, on the back is a label, it will tell you what tweeter you have. I'm not sure what the fuse value is, but you can ask Polk Customer Service when you order the new tweeters.

Oh yeah, turn it down.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audionewb
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thanks, so it does sound like I blew the tweeters right?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Yes, more than likely you pushed your amp too hard. 'Clipping' is your word for the day.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • audionewb
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thank you. I am on a mission to learn all about clipping. From what I can find the tweeters seem to be SL1000's. So I can replace these with SL1000's or SL2000's. Is that correct?
  • ward91
    ward91 Posts: 338
    edited February 2006
    Options
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Polk no longer sells the SL1000 or SL2000, so you'll have to hunt the FM or eBay if you want the exact same tweeters or you can buy the new silk replacement tweeters from Polk.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audionewb
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I am reading through it.

I talked to Polk earlier today and they said they could sell me new ones for $60 each. Are they probably talking about the silk ones then? I am pretty sure they said that they were SL2000's and that they were sonically identical to my SL1000's. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sure I choose the right replacements. Thanks.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Options
    What you want is the RDO194-1, which is the replacement tweeter for the SL1000/SL2000.

President of Club Polk