pr subs

Options
dudeinaroom
dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
edited February 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Has anyone attempted a sub woofer with a passive radiator or 2. I'm thinkink of trying it. I know the complexity involved, and I am pretty confident I can pull it off. I have built car audio sun enclosure since I was 14, and not the boomy one that stop around 30hz, but designs that would play tight, and clean (not leave bass ringing after the music would stop), and exstention below 20hz. I've built a few sixth order band pass boxes that would play quite loud with a modest 50 watts, and were fairly clean for a band pass. I how to tune a port, and understand the mass of air inside a port, and that the pr's mass should equal the mass of air that would be in the port at said tuninig freq. Just looking for a little insight, and responce form some one who has atually tried, or is knowlagable of such a design. And what you thought of the final out come.

Was also wondering if it would be possible to pull off a sixth order band pass using pr's in place of ports?
Post edited by dudeinaroom on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I've done sealed and ported, but not PR. supossed to be a good combination of both worlds. I say go for it, plenty of resources on the net about it. it is a little more complicated but you seem to have more than enough technical knowlege to pull it off after doing some homework
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites