Ports for older DB12s???

Options
narrjeep
narrjeep Posts: 3
edited April 2006 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I've got 2 of the older style, black DB12s (purchased almost 10 years ago now). I'm running them each in a 1.6 sealed box but I'd like to port them. Question: is the 4"x10" port the website prescribes for the new DBs appropriate for mine? I understand the new DBs are not nearly as stiff as the older ones.
Thanks!
(old dog in the audio world - new to the forum)
Post edited by narrjeep on

Comments

• narrjeep
    edited February 2006
    Options
    and if so, where can I find them?
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2006
    Options
    the old DB subwoofers are not to be ported under any circumstances.

they are high quality SQ subwoofers meant for a 0.88 cubic foot sealed box (per subwoofer, including basket and magnet displacment).

1.6 per sub is WAYYYYY too big.

again, do not port these subs... then again, running them in a 1.6 cu foot box per sub has already probably cause them irreparably damage.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2006
    Options
    ps -- new db's are nothing like old db's... they share a name, and that's all.

tonal and power wise, the closest thing to the old db's now a days is the momo 2124 subwoofer.
  • soiset
    soiset Posts: 724
    edited March 2006
    Options
    the old DB subwoofers are not to be ported under any circumstances.

they are high quality SQ subwoofers meant for a 0.88 cubic foot sealed box (per subwoofer, including basket and magnet displacment).

1.6 per sub is WAYYYYY too big.

again, do not port these subs... then again, running them in a 1.6 cu foot box per sub has already probably cause them irreparably damage.

Not quite true... The PSW1200 has a pair of the old db12's in it. The cabinet is huge, and ported.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2006
    Options
    according to polk's site - the psw1200 utilized a built in 250 watt rms (350 peak / dynamic) amplifier.

if this is true, that is a mere 125 watts per subwoofer.

the db12's that i have exp[erience with in car audio are 400 watt rms woofers.

now, putting them in a huge cabinet and porting them - at 400 watts - would destroy them, however i CAN see running them at nearly a quarter of their rated power and porting them in a large chamber, although i dont' see the benefits.

either you have "dynamic balance" home audio drivers mixed up with "db - dynamic balance" car audio drivers, or polk made a funny box back in the day.
  • soiset
    edited March 2006
    Options
    according to polk's site - the psw1200 utilized a built in 250 watt rms (350 peak / dynamic) amplifier.

if this is true, that is a mere 125 watts per subwoofer.

the db12's that i have exp[erience with in car audio are 400 watt rms woofers.

now, putting them in a huge cabinet and porting them - at 400 watts - would destroy them, however i CAN see running them at nearly a quarter of their rated power and porting them in a large chamber, although i dont' see the benefits.

either you have "dynamic balance" home audio drivers mixed up with "db - dynamic balance" car audio drivers, or polk made a funny box back in the day.

They are car audio dB12's, 4 ohms each, wired in series. The amp is rated 250/350 at 8 ohms, meaning each driver gets that much power. I have a stereo pair of these subs, and they can cave your chest in.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2006
    Options
    4 ohm each wired in series = 8 ohm load... 250 watts over an 8 ohm load is 125 watts per speaker...

but i don't doubt it'll pound a house to the ground, polk makes some wicked home stuff.
  • narrjeep
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Quite right, theses are fantastic subs and i shall not port them. I was just bored and felt like fabricating. As for the warning of damaging them with too much air space, this doesn't concern me - M&K noodles they are not. Remember the ad campaign when they first came out with a picture of a dude standing on the dustcaps of 2 DB subs? They are performing superbly now, however, I will throw some ballast in the cabinets and see what they sound like with half the volume.
    thanks, fellas
  • TomsSound
    TomsSound Posts: 4
    edited April 2006
    Options
    not trying to jack your thread.. but it seamed to be on a similar note.

I recently bought another car.. and have decided to put my OLD car audio equipment in .

I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 100 DSM , Punch Power 50x2.... and 2 POLK DB10's (4 ohm i believe) from over 10 years ago.

These are the original polk db10 subs. I remember standing on the demo set at a CAR AUDIO show.... lol
    anyways. I'm planning on putting the subs in sealed boxes. But I'm not quite sure what size. Does anyone know what size in cu/ft ?
    It's been so long. I can't remember what i had them in.
    Thanks.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Just to give more insight from what I have come to understand....

Polk used alot of their DB woofers in their HA back in the day. The line of big powered towers used them, the RT2000P (black midbasses) used them, as did other powered towers - as did the PSW1200.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2006
    Options
    0.66 cubic feet - that includes the woofer displacement.

throw 350 rms on them and call it a day. I used to pound two DB 10-4's all day long.
  • TomsSound
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys.
    I appreciate it.
    -Tom
  • soiset
    edited April 2006
    Options
    You can go a little bigger than .66 if you'd like to tighten up the bass some. I've got one of the old dB10-4's in my (her) Subie in a .85 dft box. Sounds fantastic.

I know I could get in trouble for saying this, but I have no earthly idea how someone justifies more than a single 10, or maybe a 12, inside the tiny space of a car. I hear about people with 4 15's, and I can only think, "why?" Is it because of a deep need to have those outside your car be annoyed?

I'm running a single 10 with a Fosgate 600.5 Power amp, just 100 watts to the 10. It sounds great, and can get loud enough to be uncomfortable, especially with the windows up. Why do people use multiple large diameter drivers with hundreds, if not thousands of watts driving them? The equivalent home stereo setup, given the relative volumes to fill with music, would have 20 18" drivers powered by their own substations.
  • TomsSound
    edited April 2006
    Options
    lol... well even though i've always loved great sounding stuff... back in the day , even i had (2)10's , (2)12's, or even (4)10's in the car. Back when Bass-offs were popular. Much more than was needed but fun nonetheless.
    Loudest I ever had my car was 140db . Definitely much louder than it needed to be.
    Glad I've grown out of that phase.. but Unfortunately I think i lost some hearing because of it.
  • TomsSound
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I'm actually planning on putting both 10's in the accord to start with. But in seperate boxes. Just in-case i need room I can disconnect the second one.
    Or i might even find that i don't need the second 10 .
    We'll see