Finally got beat!

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited April 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well, so much for my undefeated streak. Placed 2nd at todays MECA comp. Know what sucks more? I got beat by 1.5 points! :mad: Id rather get smeared by 1000 than to lose by that small a margin.

Its my own damn fault too. Ive been paying so much attention to my staging that I totally negleted the biggest part, tonal quality!

I got a 6.5 out of 10 on my stage and I kinda think thats the best I can do with the crappy stock locations and no time alignment but my ambience, midbass and linearity were kind of low. I did improve my score from the last time tho and I did learn quite a bit at this show.

Didnt stand a chance on the RTA tho. This is a single open class and there were no less than 3 world champs at this show so I got creamed. :p

The best thing about this one was I got to meet and listen to some real pros. One guy that was part of Buwalda's Hybrids (Scott Buwalda's team) was there and listening to his rig was very cool. There was another world champ there that was running a stock head unit and had the highest score overall! I also got a clinique from a former world champ that competes in a Chevy Silverado and understands how much it sucks trying to make a fullsize truck into a SQ winner!

Overall I had a great time and learned a bunch. I just hate getting beat by 1.5 points!!! I just hope I dont lose world finals by 1.5 points! I doubt theyd let me back next year after I start a brawl on stage! :p
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    nnoooooooooooooooooo

say it aint so Mac....
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2006
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    edited February 2006
    Better luck next time!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2006
    lol, that sucks. But at least you improved your overall score, thats the main thing to go by.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Yeah, and I accepted the fact that I have to get time alignment not. I havent run up on anybody yet that doesnt use it and I wont stand a chance at finals without it, not with the unreal pathlenth difference I have.

Hell, once I move up to Modified next year Ill still probably need it. That Silverado I listened to had kicks and all the trimmin's and still had TA. He said he couldnt get it to work without it. The PL difference is just too much in a fullsize truck.

Downside is trying to find a head unit with TA that doesnt cost $1000.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited February 2006
    You should have upgraded in 2004 when alpine had the TA's on the 9833 and 9835. They are excellent decks. I would not trade mine for anything new out right except maybe that sexy kenwood.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2006
    sorry to hear it. but you'll kick some **** next time. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited February 2006
    don't sweat it Mac- better luck nex time.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited February 2006
    even tho u didnt win, u still get to drive around with SR's in ur truck.. a think many of us only wish we could do.
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for the encouragement fellas, tho Im not too tore up about it. 2nd place aint too shabby and its still a handfull of points.

I never thought of upgrading to TA til I started competing. Up til then I never really cared that much about stage and imaging. Now I dont even listen to the music anymore! I just drive around paying attention to where everything is imaging and trying to figure out how to fix it! :D

Yo Cody, you know of any external EQ thatll have TA on it and doesnt cost $10,000? That guy that competed with a factory head unit, factory speaker locations and nailed the highest score of the show got me thinking. Obviously he's got TA somewhere. I looked on Audiocontrols website and although they have a ton of external EQ's and processors I found no TA. You know of anything?

• exalted512
    edited February 2006
    the rockford fosgate 360º will have everything you need, comes out in march i believe. Retails at 600. But you do need a blue tooth capable palm pilot, but those can be picked up pretty cheap now for the basic ones, i started a thread about it a while back, but heres the jist of it.

On the fly crossover adjustment. Meaning, you change the frequency of something, it does it while you do it on your palm pilot. Has a 31 band eq on EACH speaker. Another words, you can have your left speakers have different settings (say +6 @ 2.5khz) than your right speakers (say +1 @2.5kHz). Has a 10 band eq on the sub channel. Time alignment is in increments of 6".

heres the link to the thread.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36518&highlight=Rockford

Im not sure how much youre wanting to spend, but you could literally sell your deck and put your factory one back in, and the 360 will integrate into it and you can still do all your adjustments.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited February 2006
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Man, that'd be sweet!! That could be cool to have inside, too....ok, maybe not...but it would be cool...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2006
    I notice that has a Comm port. Is there another way to adjust the settings except with a PDA or through bluetooth?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited February 2006
    not sure
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Well, so much for my undefeated streak. Placed 2nd at todays MECA comp. Know what sucks more? I got beat by 1.5 points!

Ha! Got my rematch today....and some payback! Who's ya daddy! Im just glad nobody showed up with a stock Ford system! :D

Also, I got to hear the most amazing system Ive heard to date! A 300M with 4 Scanspeak 5" mids in the dash (2 were midbass and 2 were midrange), tweeters from a Martin Logan home speaker (I think) in the sail panels and 3 MB Quart 12's in the rear deck running IB, all powered by Alpine amps.

This thing sounded soooooo good. Dead and I mean dead on imaging and staging and deeeeeep too. The coolest thing tho was on a track on the MECA disc that is about 60 seconds of a dude playing a stand up bass. Ive never heard this thing recreated this good. I could almost SEE it! I didnt want to get out of his car!

Fellas, let me tell ya, if you ever have the opportunity to listen to a high end SQ system JUMP ON IT! It will open your eyes like you cant imagine! Up til this point, Ive heard some awesome systems but none this good and its really shown me not only how much work I have to do but how good a system can really sound. Very inspiring!

• audiobliss
    edited April 2006
    I had no idea Martin Logan made conventional tweeters. I thought they just dealt with electrostatics. :confused:
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2006
    would putting those in a car be a problem?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    I had no idea Martin Logan made conventional tweeters. I thought they just dealt with electrostatics. :confused:

They were planar tweeters. Im not 100% if they were Martin Logan, I cant remember who he said made them.